Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Consistent Ammo For Consistent Shooting (Read 1568 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Consistent Ammo For Consistent Shooting
May 28th, 2004 at 5:26pm

Consistent ammo adds a lot of pleasure to my slinging.  I know variations in shots come from variations in technique only.  Also, I size/form the ammo for best results. 

I "roll my own" from already-wet potter's clay from a craft store.  11,250grams for $15.  I slice/dice it into 76gram chunks, hand-roll the chunks into mini-footballs, then let them dry to 65grams.  I should get about 150 glandes, for $0.10ea.

They're tougher than you think, and dont shatter when they land on a lawn, so can be reused.  Problem is that they fly so well/far, it's tough to find some of them.  But if I cant find them, I dont worry.  They're made out of "dirt" anyway.

FYI   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: Consistent Ammo For Consistent Shooting
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2004 at 6:01pm

Potters clay, huh?  I've thought about making my own ammo, but the ideas I've seen so far seem expensive or bothersome for someone like me who only slings occasionally for relaxation.  Potter's clay sounds pretty easy, though... What's up with the "already wet" and "letting them dry?"  Does the stuff need special 'wet' storage or anything?

Hmmm... I wonder how much orange play-dough's going for these days?

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2004 at 8:15pm

The clay I got was a 25lb box labelled "Moist Pottery Clay X-15", packed by AMACO, ....American Art Clay Company, Indianapolis IN.   As long as you keep it in the plastic bag it comes in, it seems to stay plyable.

Dried glandes made from this clay are 85.5% the weight of the moist material you start with. 

I just rolled 60 little clay footballs at 24grams wet.  They'll be 0.855 x 24 = 20.5 grams dry.     mgreenfield

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2004 at 8:55pm

I've been doing the same but the clay is cheaper. 25 pounds for $8. As soon as I get some time I'll build another solar oven and try baking them. Though the internal temp. only gets to about 400 it would sure dry them out quicker. The idea of using drywall mud came to mind for making ammo for marking hard targets,ie. getto thumpers (cars with crappy sterios that cruse around at all hours).

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2004 at 11:29pm

If you have a hole, an old bathtub or a 45 gallon drum (55 to you most of you) You should be able to "pit fire" glandes in batches of a few hundred or so. Google.

Matthias

IP Logged

adair3
Tiro

Lubbock, TX
Reply #5 - May 29th, 2004 at 1:21pm

I went to a driving range a while back and tossed about 80 golf balls.  It did wonders for my overall performance.  I was lobbing them 80 yards consistiently using the underhand throw with no wind up.  60 yards using the overhand throw with no wind up.  I got an 18 pack of neon yellow golf balls today and I am headed out to a farm with a friend to do some slinging. 

SRGS9, what is the brand of clay you are using and where do you purchase it?

Scott Adair

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2004 at 11:32pm

A local place called 'The House of Clay'... not sure what type it is but I can make a call Tuesday and find out. It's gray in it's raw form and almost chalky white when dried in the sun.... When I went to pick up the 25lb bag I just told the lady cheap clay would do fine. That lead to a long question and answer session about slings and ammo. I figured I'd lose the clay glandes as fast they could be made so why bother fireing the clay...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Chris)