Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stiff vs Pliable Pockets (Read 2333 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Stiff vs Pliable Pockets
May 26th, 2004 at 9:29pm

I seem to get better launches from slings where the pocket is a little stiff and does NOT conform to the shape of the glande TOO well.   A pocket of stiffer material, but still sufficiently formed to retain the glande securely seems to give best launches.    Comments?  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Stiff vs Pliable Pockets
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2004 at 11:49pm

Maybe a tighter fitting pouch hugs onto the projectile during release, and either slows it down, misaims it, or puts a spin on it.  A move open pouch might make for a freer release.

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2004 at 12:56am

I have recently made some slings with very stiff pouches.  7 ounce veg tanned tooling leather.  I cut the pouches out then dyed and oiled them heavily.  They are still quite stiff.  I also used a light, non stretch cord.

I have only used them a little, but my accuracy seems to be much improved already.  The pouch just lets go of the stone.  My first slings tend to hold the stone and I release late with dissapointing regularity.  With the new design, I can feel the stone and release on time, with the pouch opening right up.

I will give a report as soon as I can get some good slinging time in.

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2004 at 1:09pm

Well, if you're talking about leather, the supple chrome-tanned skins that we see today were pretty rare back in the day, unless it was alum tawed...

For my quick reload, which I am still experimenting with, I find my chrome tanned goatskin pouch is often folded in half by the time I slip the cord through the fingers of my left hand...

IP Logged

Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2004 at 4:55pm

My slings are made out of scrap leather i buy from the crafts store which is very stiff and needs to be broken in, even so, it's not very soft.  I don't notice any difference  Grin

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 10:08pm

I got in some good slinging today with my new stiff pouches.  They work better than the softer pouches that cup the stone.  I did not have bullseye accuracy mind you, but much better with the stiff pouch.  The pouch does not hold the stone on release and just open up.

I still find stones in the 3 + ounce range to be best, preferably 4 or even 5 in some cases.  My favorite over all seem to be about 4 ounces.

This style seems to be working best for me at this point.  7 ounce veg tanned leather with a heavy dye and good coat of neatsfoot oil.  The pouch hold open then the stone is just hanging down.  5 or 6 ounce leather would be great also.  In fact, I would venture to say that even 3 or 4 ounce veg tanned would remain stiff enough be be good.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d833b3127cceb0764bb2a4f90000001610

This leather is available at your local Tandy Leather store or from Tandy via the internet.  They also have the dye and oil.  I am using paracord on some and #72 seine twine on some.  I don't yet notice much difference in these.

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 6:36pm

Just returned from a sling outing.  I went to do some more research on my stiff pocket slings.  I do believe this style of pouch is preferable, for me anyway.  My releases are now much more often near the target area.

Note: I am not getting near the target, but the target area.

I als found that by shortening my slings things improved considerably.  Shorter is easier for accuracy as we know, but I also found that I was throwing stones as far or further with the shorter sling.

jeff <><

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 8:26pm

Jeff,

That is odd that you were getting as good of distance with a shot sling. I found that true for me as well but I think it must be do to my lack of practice with the long sling. Physics says that the long one will throw farther Right?

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 12:15am

David,

I was amazed when my first stone from a shorter sling went FURTHER than those from the longer sling.  Not by a long way, but further nonetheless.

It may be that the longer sling can not get up to speed with one windup (which I use).  It may also be my style and other factors, like lack of practice.

Ultimately, distance is based on speed, trajectory and stone weight & ballistic coefficient.  If I can get the stone up to better speed with the shorter sling, then it has to go further all the other items being the same.

At any rate, the shortened sling amazed me today.  I will continue to work with this and see what happens.

jeff <><

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15)