Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Firesling? (Read 8933 times)
Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: Firesling?
Reply #30 - May 24th, 2004 at 11:54am

Very cool pic!  I wonder why the... bombs(?)... aren't depicted as being lit.  Did they send the fire over afterward?  Coat the boat with oil & then send over the torches?

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #31 - May 24th, 2004 at 12:34pm

Yes, I believe so.  They would fire these in addition to flaming arrows (or similar). 

Chris

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #32 - May 24th, 2004 at 12:50pm

That makes a fire-sling easier, then.  No need to worry about the cords catching fire.  Just lob over some breakable bottles of something flammable, then send over some hot coals wrapped in something that it takes a second to burn through, but not wrapped tightly enough to keep out all the oxygen.  You have to group your shots, but if they were as good as we think they were in Roman times, that wouldn't be a problem.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #33 - May 24th, 2004 at 2:36pm

Ones durring the nautical travel on a sailing yacht, we had the "great problem". The people on the second boat had a cold beer in the refrigerator... we didn't have. The sun was broiling us... The boats weren't able to come near each other due to rather big waves. The pally crew offered to send us a few bottles. I started to prepare the line in order to throw the one ending to them. The distance between the boats was about 6-8 yards. Suddenly the crazy friend from second boat shouted - Cath! - and started to throw the heavy bottles. I quickly abandoned the line and started to catch them one by one. There was the four bottles and luckily all of them survived that risky transportation. Consider we both were standing on the rocked decks without a help of the hands. It was a stunt and normally I wouldn't decide to try or repeat it. But we were so thirsty that I was catching these beers like my own children  Roll Eyes

That reminiscence came to me durring looking Chris' picture. Maybe those guys are doing the same  Grin

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Justin Ball

Reply #34 - May 24th, 2004 at 5:58pm

Of course, it could just be a proto IRA trick..throw a bottle of petrol in the front door of a pub, ignite a zippo lighter, wrench the lid off so it doesn't close and put out the lighter, then throw in the zippo. Zippos survive being thrown, and the busted bottle has had a few seconds to spread its flammable liquid. I still think the Iraqi 12 year old with the grenade in a pouch is still the best image I've seen though.

Of course, one could sling a signal flare.

Any more ideas on the potato/12 gauge device?

IP Logged

Tommy
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 6:55pm

OOh i got an idea. what if you took a tennis ball  cut a slit in it filled it with some flammable liquid then got waxwire and lit it launched it with your sling and what would happen. It is definately a good idea to try it in the city NOT lol. In other words i wont be trying it anytime soon Be careful.  Shocked

I hope this hasnt been thought of already

-Tommy-

IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #36 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 8:55pm

My whole state's too flamable to try any of this stuff!  Angry 
But in regard to the sling singing it might by useful to know that Borax solution makes fabric fire-resistant.

Like one who binds a stone in a sling, So is he who gives honor to a fool. Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

rol1
Novicius

Reply #37 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 5:40am

A friend has his FFL license and a publication call the Shotgun News had adds for shotgun shells called Dragon's Breath that blasted out a stream of fire.

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #38 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 10:16am

with the idea about a soaked flammible tenis the flames would fling about and land on the thrower tommys idea would work make some homemade naparm polystirieen disolved in lighterfluid and fill a tennis ball or iv heard of tennis balls filled with match heads or take a small bag put a lead ball in it then load with match heads (non-safty) cut the top of a tennes ball put the bag in fill with the above mentioned napalm stitch it back up seal with latex or wax or somthing or just a tight plastic bag .Make sure you start with a slow wind up. my grandad once told me if you scrape of the matchhead into a airgun pellet and seal it with wax they explode on impact and are good for shooting at night. any way thats me over and done with by for now

listen to old people

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #39 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 7:53pm

If a person used the tennis ball idea and used gelled diesal or homemade napalm (i have heard gasoline and strofoam mixed together?). Then take the caps on a roll that every kid uesed in there cap gun. Wrap the caps around the tennis ball then throw it. Be carefall if you try this. Maybe you should do more research before you do this!

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #40 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 8:16am

Soon we'll have the BATF or whatever they are or the FBI checking us out as a       ist organization Grin

IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #41 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 11:56am

Although I know this is unecessary I just have to say it.  Any experimentation with incendiary projectiles requires extreme caution and forethought.

We just had another wild-fire start in the Bosque near Albuquerque.  In the past these have usually proven to be started by kids with fire-works.

People around here have definately lost patience with anyone tossing fire whether it be cigarette butts or firecrackers.  There is even talk of resurrecting the old west practice of lynching.

Any pyro-technic slinging should probably done over water.  Since there are only 2 mud puddles left in the state that leaves me out.

Like one who binds a stone in a sling, So is he who gives honor to a fool. Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #42 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 11:21am

Ditto for Colorado.  We're just coming out of a drought, and we're still smarting from the wildfires 2 years ago.

IP Logged

rol1
Novicius

Reply #43 - Jun 26th, 2004 at 1:44pm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)