Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Re: Firesling?
Reply #15 - May 17th, 2004 at 12:24am

Fire...
Bomb..
Slings....
Grin Grin Grin
I think i have all the moderators worried that i will do some ballistic fireball seige.  It was just an idea  Smiley

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #16 - May 19th, 2004 at 1:55pm

You guys are @*$%*!!* mad.

Seriously.

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Justin Ball

Reply #17 - May 19th, 2004 at 5:09pm

Typical swaddled Brit...anything slightly dangerous is considered deadly, I mean, the UK is the only country I know where you need a licence and training to use a chain saw.
Justin

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #18 - May 20th, 2004 at 1:54am

Quote:
Typical swaddled Brit...anything slightly dangerous is considered deadly

Calm down my friend. Go and sling some stones - and don't start throwing around stereotyped labels. We can all play that pointless game.

I'm not a 'typical' anything.

Wink

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - May 20th, 2004 at 3:16am

Well, we are not used to danger in this country.  In America, you can be driving along a road and maybe hit a moose, with fatal consequences for both driver and moose.  In England, that obviously will not happen.  Or you won't get bitten by a snake that is incredibly mental and poisonous.  Nor will lightning burn you to a thin crisp.  And hey, haven't you heard of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Wink  And surely training and a license to use a chainsaw is a good thing, in that accidents will be easily avoided.
  Anyway, I had a little idea about this firesling idea.  I was watching an advert for Grolsch, you know, "it isn't ready yet"...  I noticed the fact that the bottles had little metal pieces for opening the beer more easily.  I thought that you could either:  Turn it into a molotov and loop string through the metal thing and then hurl it like a bolas, or possibly put the loop on the hook of a staff sling and swing it forward, hurling it further, like a bolas thrower.  I will practise (I am sure I have some grolsch somewhere.)  I guess any bottle will do, but the little metal thing on the Grolsch bottle would work so well.  Anyway, that was just a little idea.

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #20 - May 20th, 2004 at 12:37pm

English,

I don't think the stopper retaining gizmo would hold up to the stress when launched like that. Also I'd hate to use my bottles to test that do to the fact that they are great for filling with my home brew wines and stouts (by themselves they are not only almost flamable and also tasty 8) ).... Might be more fun to make a peace offering with the mead, get the opponents passed out drunk,and then attack in the middle of the night with a small band of guys with chainsaws(or maybe just sharpend spoons, big sticks and slings used as garrets).
There is more than one way to de-hair a feline.

Grin

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #21 - May 20th, 2004 at 12:59pm

Um... Sharpened spoons??  That's just forkin' wierd, man.

I think regular 'Molotov' (where's that term come from, anyway?) cocktails just use stuffed rags as stopper, wick, and fuse.

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #22 - May 20th, 2004 at 2:01pm

Hobb... "may the sporks be with you"  Wink
As far as who started  flinging incendery ammo or where the name for the fire bottles came from is not realy clear to me... I'm starting to think that "Greek Fire" was a gelled alchol based napalm. Anyone who has tasted Grappe I'm sure would agree...

IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #23 - May 20th, 2004 at 2:48pm

not sure about this but I though the name moltov cocktail from russia or germany?? i dont know if i am right though.
Sean

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

The Abhorsen
Tiro

jst cos i dont care doesnt
mean i dont understand!

England leeds
Reply #24 - May 20th, 2004 at 3:17pm

i no th molotov cocktail was in vented by the russian weapins scientist , molotov during ww2 to combat the panzers. also they trained dogs torun uder tanks but it back fired wen the dogs ran back under their own tanks cos thats wat they wa trained with! funny and sad.

Jamie - LEEDS UNITED ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jamietaylory2k  
IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #25 - May 21st, 2004 at 2:54am

Invented no, named yes. Anyone can stuff a rag in a container full of fule and the idea is far older than WW2 IMHO... There was a trick I learned for making the stem section on clay pipes. That was to take a smooth dry stick and mold the clay around it and leave it in place when the pipe was fired. The stick would burn out in the process... The same trick might work for making hollow glands... I'll have to fool with the idea this weekend and fire back a report(couldn't help the compound pun).  ... For that matter the same could be done with wax... Either way run for cover folks i want to try something Wink.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 21st, 2004 at 5:11am

I was actually threatened by someone with a sharpened (plastic) spoon.  I laughed.
I am sure the stopper thing on the bottle would be able to withstand such torment.  Besides, it is one use.
I think that the Molotov Cocktail, in the modern sense, was invented during the Spanish Civil War.  I have just been reading a book on said conflict, and it mentions the first use of such incendiary devices.
Grappe is possibly the most disgusting alcoholic drink I have ever tasted.  "Fire Water".  I believe it tasted to me a bit like watered down industrial alcohol.
Not entirely sure of the naming of the device, the Molotov, but I have actually used one (this may sound very weird, but we have an insane science teacher.  He helped us make some very interesting things.  Once, a flour bomb broke one of the gas taps at the school.  Also, one of my friends (he is American, from Tennessee in fact) makes little explosives using sugar and fertiliser, inside two tin pie containers with a piece of cardboard separating the two substances and a pin as a detonator.  He blew the wheels off a wheelie bin).  Anyway, at least none of that is as extreme as what was shown on the (superb) documentary film "Bowling for Columbine":  a young guy was interviewed and asked about the "Anarchist's Handbook", or some such thing.  He said that he had only recently made a "few gallons of napalm".

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #27 - May 21st, 2004 at 10:29am

Hey, check the little flag thingy (beside this thread on the board page)!  This thread is now listed as a "very hot topic."  Of course, I thought the site administraters were supposed to stop 'flame wars.'  Hee hee, I'm on fire today!   Grin

O.K., sorry, I'll stop now. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #28 - May 22nd, 2004 at 12:18am

Might have posted this before, but here it is again.  A staff slinger firing a grenade (likely similar to a Molotov cocktail).  This would have broken on contact and caused fires.  This was a common practice in naval battles of that period.  Fire is a ships worst nightmare despite having water all around them.  Greek fire, in particular, was noted to be resistant to water.  Dowsing the flames with water only spread the fire. 

Chris

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #29 - May 22nd, 2004 at 4:20am

cool pic Chris, looks like the archer also is launching a smilar device.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)