Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rapid Fire Technique? (Read 6486 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Rapid Fire Technique?
Reply #15 - May 14th, 2004 at 2:36pm

So I'd assume she was not French.  Interesting. (Pronounced "Jeen" rather than "Zhon" then.)  Interesting too, about your name.  Paul Revere's name was also changed; from Apollo Rivoire, I think.  (No wonder he wanted to encourage rebellion.)  Interesting how names changed to fit the majority British population.

IP Logged

The Abhorsen
Tiro

jst cos i dont care doesnt
mean i dont understand!

England leeds
Reply #16 - May 15th, 2004 at 10:34am

i actually feel this technique could be used. However it would have  to be with an underhand style and A LOT of dedicated pratise.

Jamie - LEEDS UNITED ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jamietaylory2k  
IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #17 - May 17th, 2004 at 2:11am

Excerpt from the sling article on www.wikipedia.org (a free encyclopedia on the web that anyone can edit. It's really cool, you should check it out):

"The clumsiest part of using a shepherd's sling is to regain control of the released knot-end. Conventionally, the loop is placed around the strong hand's thumb, or held by the two weakest fingers of the strong hand. Several stones are held in the weak hand. After the release, an expert will continue the motion. The pocket will catch around a stone held out with the weak hand, so that the knot end swings back to the strong hand retaining the loop. Just after the knot begins to swing, slightly before the knot reaches the strong hand, one drops or throws the stone toward the ground with the weak hand, starting into the next release. Some persons braid the knot around a weight to help perform this maneuver. With this method, a skillful user can throw an aimed stone per second in a cyclic coordinated movement, until the weak hand is empty. "

For the complete article, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_(weapon). Really, you should check out Wikipedia. Anybody can contribute new articles, or edit the ones already there (they have over 500000). I'm sure you guys could improve the slinging article for example. The article states that overhand is the only practical technique, which we all know is incorrect. I suggest one of you guys who really know this stuff go there and update the article.

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #18 - May 17th, 2004 at 2:27am

Quote:
After the first stone is hurled, the retention cord has to be brought back into the hand. How do you drop a stone in the pouch without first gathering the retention cord?

Well. When I read the books, I got that picture, Ayla kept the cords in her hand through the throw, she never let one cord go, and therefore was able to put the next stone in the pouch on the way up again.

Then I found this site and realized that it might not be possible to sling that way Wink

One probably must be very quick to "snap" away the stone that way.

/Ulrica
.. Who still loves those books very very much!

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2004 at 5:56am by Ulrica »  

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #19 - May 17th, 2004 at 5:23am

Here is the other quote from Wikipedia:

"A shepherd's sling is quite easy to make by braiding, and braided slings are far more durable and accurate than slings constructed of leather, cloth or rope."

I wonder why braided slings are far more accurate. Can anybody explain that curiosity?

Jurek ???

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #20 - May 17th, 2004 at 8:06am

Quote:
Here is the other quote from Wikipedia:

"A shepherd's sling is quite easy to make by braiding, and braided slings are far more durable and accurate than slings constructed of leather, cloth or rope."

I wonder why braided slings are far more accurate. Can anybody explain that curiosity?

I'm guessing that the article is simply wrong on this point. Over all, my impression is that the article needs some serious editing.

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #21 - May 17th, 2004 at 9:07am

I've made both leather and fiber(braided sisal) and the fiber slings are better(at least for me!). The leather slings are worthless when damp or wet.  It's like slinging with limp dish rag! Fiber slings tend to be lighter. This is just my humble observation!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #22 - May 17th, 2004 at 11:35am

How do the fiber slings feel when wet. I would think that they would get water logged because of all the fiber.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #23 - May 17th, 2004 at 11:43am

I guess it depends on what fibre you use.  And you can wax it, to make it a little more waterproof, and this tends not to affect it's flexibility.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #24 - May 17th, 2004 at 12:09pm

Fiber seems to shed water rather than absorb it. I sling alot down at my creek, picking up wet stones and standing in water. Leather slings simply become useless as they soak up the water. My fiber slings, even though they are soaking wet, are like the Duracel batteries, "They just keep on going"!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #25 - May 17th, 2004 at 4:03pm

Enfors,

You most probably are right, some information are snatchy and some controversial. But they are not so bad if I we consider an ecyclopaedic nature of that source Smiley

Johnny,

I only wondered what is the secret of better accuracy of braided slings. I haven't much experiences with those ones, because maiking a sling of leather and cords is simpler and quicker for me, besides I like leather. Leather slings also work pretty well for me, even when they are wet. I don't see any considerable difference, maybe only the pouch is a bit more slippery then. So I can't say that they are worthless when wet.

I really like braided slings, they often are works of art. I have got three ones, but they are nice remainders and I'm not going to wear out them. But I can't say that they are worse or worthless Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Steph

Reply #26 - May 18th, 2004 at 2:32am

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I can visualise how it might be done now, but it looks quite an advanced technique... and not one that I'm quite ready for yet. Smiley  Maybe one day I'll give it a go.  Thanks again guys!

Steph.

IP Logged

The Abhorsen
Tiro

jst cos i dont care doesnt
mean i dont understand!

England leeds
Reply #27 - May 18th, 2004 at 3:34pm

Johnny, have u tried using tent canvass as a sling puch as it repells water and if very tough?

Jamie - LEEDS UNITED ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jamietaylory2k  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #28 - May 18th, 2004 at 5:38pm

I've never used tent canvas for a pouch. I think tent canvas is cotton duck which absorbs water. Maybe if you treated it with something it may work. My pouches are leather while the cords are sisal. Even though wet, this combination works fine. It seems to be sluggish if the whole sling is leather, just my opinion!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #29 - May 18th, 2004 at 11:53pm

Maybe if you water proofed the leather with mink oil or something else, it might solve the water logged feel.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)