SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rapid Fire Technique? (Read 6487 times)
Steph

Rapid Fire Technique?
May 13th, 2004 at 6:46pm

In a fictional book (Jean M. Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear"), the heroine of the book uses a technique to sling two stones in rapid fire...  Can a rapid fire technique be used with a sling, and has anyone here done so?  What problems do we face when trying to reload our sling quickly, and does anyone have any advice in overcoming them?

Thanks,

Steph.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Rapid Fire Technique?
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2004 at 9:41pm

Maybe a sling in each hand. Just kidding.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2004 at 11:36pm

It was a rough month for me to get three rounds in the air in under 45 seconds... Granted I didn't hit my intended target during these drills, but I was only off by 2' ...

I(in my slinging glory) propose a modified theme song for us slingers. "bad moon on the right" ccr....to wit..."hope you got youre shi$ together, hope you are quite prepared to die..there are slingers on the right... I see a dark day a comming..glandes raining from the sky"... It needs work...

j<who can't leave anything alone>

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2004 at 12:05am

I honestly can't think of how you would do this unless you had two pouches and two release cords.  And even this would be tricky to pull off because the "used" pouch and cord would cause a great deal of drag.

Any more details you can provide?

Chris

IP Logged

Steph

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2004 at 5:17am

I'm not sure who you were asking to give more details, but I can tell you how it described it in the book (as soon as I find it).

Here's some of the passage about it:

"She pondered the idea.  If I could get a second stone in the pocket on the downstroke after the first hurl, without stopping it, I could throw it on the next upstroke.... She began to develop a rhythm: throw the first stone, catch the sling as it comes down with the second stone ready, get it in the pocket while it is still moving, throw the second stone."

I don't know if that will help at all, but I hope so. Smiley

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2004 at 8:56am

I can visualize what is happening here. I'm not going to say it is impossible, but it would take MUCH practice! I know that the writer (Jean Auel) spent alot of time with stone age reenactors to get the details right. She learned how to flintknapp, dressed hides, built snow shelters, etc....Someone may have shown her this technique or demonstrated the hurl.

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

The Abhorsen
Tiro

jst cos i dont care doesnt
mean i dont understand!

England leeds
Reply #6 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:19am

I have no idea how she did it, but it could be a great technique to master. However the error margin seems very high for dropping the stone in the pouch whilst it is in motion, which could result in the stone flying out of the pouch at the wrong time.

Great book though!

Jamie - LEEDS UNITED ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jamietaylory2k  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:32am

Quote:
She learned how to flintknapp, dressed hides, built snow shelters, etc....
"She"?  Jean is John.  Jeanne is the feminine.  I'd therefore assume that the author is a man.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #8 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:33am

After the first stone is hurled, the retention cord has to be brought back into the hand. How do you drop a stone in the pouch without first gathering the retention cord?

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #9 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:37am

It is a woman. My sister's middle name is Jean. Do an internet seach on Jean Auel, there is alot of info about her on the web.
Jean is French for John. My first ancestor to America was:
Marquis Jean De La Chaumette
Our name was Anglicanized to Shumate by the next generation.

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - May 14th, 2004 at 11:45am

I suppose, in theory, a slight weight on the end of the release cord (toggle, monkey's fist, etc.) might let it swing back up into the hand with the retention cord.  I know I'll never be able to do it, not if I'm still going for any kind of power or accuracy.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #11 - May 14th, 2004 at 12:12pm

Slinging underhand, if you have sling cords with a little weight to them, you can hold your ammo in your non throwing hand facing down. The sling follows through and the pouch (don't think spilt cords are appropriate here) hits your hand/ammo and the release end wraps around allowing you to catch the end with your throwing hand. By this time you've disengaged your fingers and are ready to give the pouch/ammo and upward toss to start the next cycle.

Probably works better with overhand... but I don't.

As an aside - I found some lead core braided fishing line that I've been playing with (weighted cords - nice segue eh?) The stuff is my new favourite for knot tying. If you like knots see if you can find some... An almost finished sling feels like the weight will help rather than hinder, and it is still crazy thin.

Matthias

ps Johnny, that's quite the Anglicism... How do you pronounce your name now?

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #12 - May 14th, 2004 at 12:16pm

Matthias
My name is pronounced, Shoe-mate.
Johnny

PS-I see you are from BC Canada. I just bought a stave of Yew from your neck of the woods. I plan to make an English style longbow from it in the future(gotta let it dry out!).

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #13 - May 14th, 2004 at 12:36pm

Yew salvage used to be calling of mine. It is an understory tree here (*really* understory) and gets slash/burned whenever any clearing gets done. Also very infrequent / far between.

I kept track of the locations of individual trees, and would check intermittently for wind damage (ie a Doug Fir falls on one) and watch for housing developments going in. I rescued two logs when they scalped the northwest side of a hill near where I used to live.

Salvaging yew is tough work... the densest native wood we have by far. It was worth it. The stuff is beautiful - and the ultimate tool-wood around here.

...and now that I've drifted waaay off topic. Slinging Rocks! and this thread is an example of where a shorter sling is quite a lot "better"...

Matthias

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #14 - May 14th, 2004 at 2:00pm

Pluck Yew, Johnny!............Pluck that Yew! Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)