Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Angle of Fire (Read 4952 times)
Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Angle of Fire
May 8th, 2004 at 11:20am

I was wondering if you were slinging to sling ammo at a low angle to make it probably go faster  Grin and look cooler, or to do a more higher angle attack.  My mom was nice and let me sling some rocks Smiley  I'm almost good enough to try to hit a 2x2 target now Smiley (In yards hehe)

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Angle of Fire
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2004 at 2:04am

No matter what angle you release it at, the projectile speed should be about the same.  If I want to do distanced shots across a field or lake, I fire them upwards at an angle around 45 degrees.  If I want to shoot at a target, like a plywood board resting against a tree, I'd fire parallel with the ground.  It really depends on what you want to do...

Good job with the accuracy,
Chris

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2004 at 1:19am

When slinging in a horizontal style, I find I can't quite get as much power above about 30 degrees of elevation.  I wish I could sling with full power at 45 but I can't.  With underhand slinging, it's certainly the angle with the greatest range.  I think it depends on style overall.

Ben

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2004 at 3:08pm

I think throwing with 45 deg angle for the best ranges makes no sense. That angle is optimal only in the vacum. Generally. the more air drag, the smaller the optimal angle. Saying in other words, if one uses a worse projectile and (or) and its velocity is bigger, then one should throw more flat for the best range. My optimal angle (for stones) is about 30 deg, at a guess. It also depends on a wind direction, of course. If the wind is opposite, one should make more flat shots and vice versa.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2004 at 1:12am

The optimal angle is about 38 degrees I believe.  I just simplify by saying 45 degrees so people understand what kind of shot I'm talking about. 

Chris

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2004 at 10:38am

I'm reposting these links:

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/maxdist/maxdist.html
http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~jac/Java/baseball.html

The second one seems to be dead, alas. Mybe someone knows other address of that baseball simulator?

Playing with them can provide some interesting conclusions.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)