Send Topic Print
Egyptian Slinging (Read 9844 times)
Jandro
Tiro

Slinghetto of Da Sun

Dominican Republic
Egyptian Slinging
May 3rd, 2004 at 4:42pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and also new to slinging. But I wanna learn more about the Egyptian Slinging, I mean, how they're made, many pics, and everything about it.

I was searching but didn't find anything, if you could please give me information about that, I'll thank you.

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Re: Egyptian Slinging
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2004 at 5:15pm

Jandro
Sorry I can't help you with any info on Egyptian slinging. but did want to say hello and welcome to the fourm.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2004 at 12:10am

Welcome Ra,

Unfortunately, I don't know much about slings in Egypt, other than they exist.  I do have one lead for you however.  The oldest surviving sling to date was recovered in Lahun, Egypt, left as a byproduct of Roman influence if I recall. 

http://www.petrie.ucl.ac.uk/detail/details/index_no_login.php?objectid=UC6921&ac...

A fellow forum member visited the Petrie Museum in London to photograph it.  You can view some of his shots in the gallery under Graham Cole. 

Chris

IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2004 at 9:41am

hi man and welcome to these forums. the idea of egyptian slinging is cool. i never knew that had happened. cool. thnx for the info.

IP Logged

Jandro
Tiro

Slinghetto of Da Sun

Dominican Republic
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2004 at 6:50pm

Thanks for the greetings and thanks Chris for the info. But I still wonder how they throw, how thay make it or where I could buy one.

I'm using the overhand Greek shot, I can handle it very good but I'm really looking for the egyptian one.

If anyone have some info, please, give it to me, thanks.

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2004 at 3:37pm

As you may or may not know, the bow was the primary missile weapon of the Ancient Egyptians.  And missile weapons were there main weapons.  Slings were not really used much, as bows were used even by the peasant levies.  And they developed the bow to such a high standard that slings were effectively useless to them; they acquired the composite bow and even their simple bows were advanced and powerful.

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #6 - May 8th, 2004 at 9:23pm

Jandro,
There is a good bunch of folks here, personally I know nothing of egyptian slinging, I am not much of a historian, just like throwing rocks, but I did want to comment on your logo (?) for lack of a better word, is that Ra? And if so, is it based on a lanner falcon? Just curious.

IP Logged

Jandro
Tiro

Slinghetto of Da Sun

Dominican Republic
Reply #7 - May 8th, 2004 at 10:22pm

I know about the bow but I'm not really interested, but anyway, thanks for the information.

Longwinger
Yes, my "logo" is Ra, but what you mean with "lanner" (I don't know what it means).

Anyway, Ra is an Egyptian god (like you can see, he is a falcon-headed god), the god of the sun and the most important of all gods.

Father of the first divine couple, Shu and Tefnut. Grandfather of Geb and Nut, whose children were Osiris and Isis, Seth and Nephthys.

Ra is my favorite Egyptian god. If you want more info, tell me, I can give you.

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2004 at 7:02am

The Lanner falcon is native to North Africa, Eastern Europe, and the Mid East, Falco Biarmicus. A popular bird used in falconry in that region.
Most idols and gods are based on real life, just thought there may be a connection with Ra.

IP Logged

Gaius_Cornelius
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2004 at 11:46am

The following article discusses experiences with a reconstructed Luhn sling:

The Ballistics of The Sling, Thom Richardson, Royal Armouries Yearbook, Vol 3, 1998. pp44-49.

IP Logged

Jandro
Tiro

Slinghetto of Da Sun

Dominican Republic
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2004 at 12:51pm

But where can I find it?, is there a site that have this information?, thanks.

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

IP Logged

Gaius_Cornelius
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom
Reply #11 - May 17th, 2004 at 12:06pm

You can get this book from the Royal Armouries, Leeds, UK. See here:

http://www.armouries.org.uk/

There is a shop and a photocopying service.

IP Logged

Jandro
Tiro

Slinghetto of Da Sun

Dominican Republic
Reply #12 - May 17th, 2004 at 5:44pm

I can't find it, but anyway, I can't buy a book online.

I was watching very close the Egyptian sling and it seems like a normal-braided sling but the pouch is something different.

If someone is good braiding here, I think him/her can describe how to do it.

Also, it seems that the material is sisal.

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

IP Logged

Gaius_Cornelius
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom
Reply #13 - May 18th, 2004 at 6:55am

The sling has already been reconstructed by Burgess way back in the 50's. His reconstruction is also at the museum - it appears in some of the photos.

Burgess' very detailed paper was published here:

Burgess, EM 1958 An Ancient Egyptian Sling Reconstructed. Journal of the Arms and Armour Society 2.10 June: 226-30. 

With a supplementary note here:

King, F H 1960 A Note on The Square Sinnet, Journal of the Arms and Armour Society 3.7 September: 187

You can get these from the British Library for a small fee.

The sling is almost certainly hemp. The braiding of the arms is a 12-strand eliptical sinnet with some fancy work for the finger loop. The end of the other arm is missing. The cradle seems to have been woven rather braided, Burgess made a diamond shape loom (which also appears in some photos). Although the loom is speculative, the resulting reconstruction is indeed very much like the origina.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 19th, 2004 at 3:08am

I have made woven slings before; I tried a diamond shape pouch but it didn't work well, but I can easily do rectangular shaped pouches.  It takes some time, and you must make sure to weave as tightly as possible.  I actually use possibly the simplest loom known.  It is a bent piece of wood, like a bow, with all the fibres for the weaves tied to each end, so that there is tension.  I then put a comb underneath the fibres to separate them out, and then do an under/over weave tightly through the fibres.  It helps to use a hook shaped device to go between the fibres on the under stroke.  Try it, and you may see what I mean.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man)