Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pouring lead in the pouring rain (Read 5854 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Pouring lead in the pouring rain
Apr 22nd, 2004 at 9:08am

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/adlo897.html

Go to "Intel" and look for the title above.

It seems that hot lead, sand and your finger is all you need to make a sling bullet!! Good article.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Re: Pouring lead in the pouring rain
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 11:56am

Having worker in a foundry that cast all kinds of stuff that sand casting method is doable. Might be ugly but it works. Slit sand casting might work better. Either way all one needs is lead, sand,latel, gas stove etc., and something large enough to hold the sand.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 12:02pm

Very early iron ingots were triangular in cross section because the molten metal was simply poured into small "ditches" cut in sand with a hoe-like tool.  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 12:55pm

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 2:27pm

Thanks  Johnny... Something funny struck me (at least it was amusing to me). "The rifle should be an extention of your eye..."- from an instructor. Maybe since the sling is an extention of the arm the lead sand cast finger glandes would read like an early AT&T ad..."Reach out and touch someone."  Grin

I can see the mold now... Also the inscription on the glande "You have been touched by a slinger" or some such... Come to think of it I've got some ingots of an alloy used to cast belt buckles. That might make for some cool bottons for sling bags and such as they would be non toxic...anyway just an idea...

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

'Slammo'
Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 2:56pm

Making one's own ammo can be addicting!  I have made so many different kinds of sling ammo or 'slammo' (to use a 'highly localized' vernacular) over the last 20 yrs that I have totally lost track of much of it.  One may find it interesting that the fishing industry is replete with reasonably priced equipment that suits our sport well.   Here is a link for example:

http://store.tackletogo.com/sinkers.html

As you can see,  prices are reasonable and electric lead melters are easy to use.  One may readily find sinker molds that closely match the handiwork of our Roman predecessors.   Here is a pic of some 'slammo'  I have become partial to as it cares not how it leaves the sling or the style one uses and groups consistently over a variety of distances.  

http://www.ezimagecenter.us/image.cfmImageID=5851

It is 1" diameter lead spherical ammo from a 'cannonball mold'.   I use it primarily for target sport.  One of my most specialized types of ammo were my tungsten darts which were tiny at only 1 1/2" long and weighed just under 3oz. I attatched miniscule led lights (Thill Nite Brite fishing lure lights) to the rear for easy retrieval.   Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 4:19pm

I dont know if anyone looked at special purpose sinker molds but heres one for slingshot molds

http://store.tackletogo.com/specpurmol1.html

its near the bottom of the section but its a round ball.  I dont know how big they are but theres sizes as followes:  1/10", 1/6", 1/4", and 3/8".  yea there ya go but there about $33 each.

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 3:07pm

OMFG!!!!! those look so cool. i want them! lol!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)