Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Netted sling v.2 (Read 27730 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Netted sling v.2
Reply #15 - Apr 28th, 2004 at 11:41am

I've seen a few... The sheer number of threads that you need is a little daunting though!

All the examples I've seen use the same 6 row netting for the pocket, so that seems to add historical validation to the choice! 8 is really too many unless you have crazy thin strands.

I was also considering using a "raschel knit" which is the construction used for modern knotless net. I really like the twelve strand pocket design though. I'm still looking for a good way to handle the taper needed to reduce the number of strands in the cords.

Matthias

(and I want to see what Goblin comes up with!)

IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 9:43pm

wow that looks amazingly hard to do. i wanna try! lol!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 3:35pm

Braided net... It's not actually as hard as it looks... I started tying a sample using 1/4" twine (easier to work things out at large scale) and it would be pretty slick! I changed the join pattern for a smoother/stronger weave. The knots in knotted web do serve a purpose though. Much more resistant to damage than knotless mesh. The global fishing industry gave up on knotless after a short experimental period.

Here are my final two prototypes. The article will be forthcoming...

The first is tapered from three strands of 3 strand twisted twine braided to 6 strands flat braid then into the same 3/6/3 arrangement as before. The grip and release are doubled up as well, and I figured out why all those peruvian slings have fancy release ends. They ran out of main threads during the braiding.... The tassel gives a nice snap for herding the local ___...

The second one is 1mm Dyneema, at 47"... going to sling me some long ones this weekend Grin I'd wear it around my waist like a belt (since it's my longest sling) but 1mm kevlar/spectra cuts too much...

Matthias
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2004 at 11:45pm by Matthias »  

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 5:09pm

Excellent knotwork!  I'm so envious. I'm particularly impressed that you used the proper netting knot.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 5:55pm

I'm not getting the last two pictures.  Wanna see!

IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 7:41pm

yah i am missing those pics to. to bad, they sound cool.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #21 - May 1st, 2004 at 5:41pm

The images are now online:

Quote:
Braided net... It's not actually as hard as it looks... I started tying a sample using 1/4" twine (easier to work things out at large scale) and it would be pretty slick! I changed the join pattern for a smoother/stronger weave. The knots in knotted web do serve a purpose though. Much more resistant to damage than knotless mesh. The global fishing industry gave up on knotless after a short experimental period.

Here are my final two prototypes. The article will be forthcoming...

The first is tapered from three strands of 3 strand twisted twine braided to 6 strands flat braid then into the same 3/6/3 arrangement as before. The grip and release are doubled up as well, and I figured out why all those peruvian slings have fancy release ends. They ran out of main threads during the braiding.... The tassel gives a nice snap for herding the local ___...

The second one is 1mm Dyneema, at 47"... going to sling me some long ones this weekend Grin I'd wear it around my waist like a belt (since it's my longest sling) but 1mm kevlar/spectra cuts too much...

edit - I screwed up and have tried to resend the photos to Chris... We'll get it fixed. Sorry for the confusion, was not expecting to be near a computer again for a few days and though I could sneak the post through before the pics were up. doh.

Matthias

IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #22 - May 4th, 2004 at 9:37am

those pics are amazing! lol! they rule. i wish i could make a sling that awesome. my current one looks like a p.o.s. lol! good job man i can't believe how amazing those are!

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - May 4th, 2004 at 11:13am

Very,very nice.

IP Logged

biface.silex
Tiro

Le frondeur frondeur!

Reply #24 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 6:09am

Matthias wrote on Apr 18th, 2004 at 8:33pm:
I tried out the idea of carrying the netting twine through the body of the sling and came up with the following prototype:

I like the elegance/simplicity of design in the pocket vs the method where the net is worked back and forth, though carrying 6 strands instead of 1 certainly adds bulk. I started out round braiding the 12 strands but gave up pretty quickly (proof of concept and all)

The sling is high ten. PE 6 strands flat braided in the middle for the finger loop, ending up with 12 strands braided for the cord (4 in 3). The pocket is as per the Balearic / "20 steps" slings - 3 strands braided each side. The remaining 6 strands are netted...

This one goes together really quickly. I think the next iteration I'll weave/splice the net strands in (keeping all 6 entering and exiting the pouch) to reduce the diameter of the main cords. Maybe Dyneema as well...

- Matthias

This is just fabulous, respect!

I'm sliiiinging in the rain&&Just sliiiingin' in the rain&&What a gloooorious feeeeling&&I'm haaaappy again&&... &&I'm slingin' and dancing in the rain&&I'm dancing and slingin' in the rain.

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #25 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 5:34pm

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #26 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 7:10pm

ooh nice asemery. Is that knotted with one continuous strand or many strands?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #27 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:07am

That is one strand of braided nylon twine made into a rectangle of netting.  When the ends of the netting are drawn together it forms a natural pouch.  Tony

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #28 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 1:11pm

One strand netting, larger gauge.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #29 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 8:21pm

It's an interesting design, and looks usable. I'll need to try it at some point.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)