New user, New idea (Read 13104 times)
WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
New user, New idea
Apr 8th, 2004 at 10:46pm

Hey guys,

I am pumped about finding this forum! I've been into slinging, slingshots, and throwing knives for a long time, since middle school at least. It was 9th grade when I contructed a sling out of some thick leather and parachute cord, and I still have it today! In fact I was out on the trail today testing my mettle against some trees.

Now that you know my story, I wanted to run an idea past you guys.
I love how the sling has a history in many cultures and even the Bible, but, being a fellow with an inqusitive mind, I wonder if our modern materials could make a more powerful or accurate sling, hopefully keeping it as simple and elegant as possible.

I was thinking, what if I took a leather pouch, attached two 6 or 8 inch pieces of 1/2 inch latex tubing, then on the ends of those sections attach cord like a regular sling? The elasticity of the tubing (basically slingshot tube) might very well add velocity if the sling is wielded correctly.

When I get home from vacation I plan on constructing one of these. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: New user, New idea
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 10:50pm

Hopefully I can save you some wasted effort.  I tried this when I was 14 by cannabalizing a sling shot of mine and quickly learned a valuable physics lesson.  The effect produced will actually dramatically lessen efficiency.  Your traversing arc is widened and energy is stored in the bands with no way to be recouped.  Ever lean out quickly on a merry-go-round?  Same effect.  Keep brainstorming though....you may hit the jackpot! Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 11:05pm

I am digging around here in storage trying to find my compound sling.  It uses simple, solid physics principles to really spit out the ammo!  It is not as accurate (in present form) as the basic sling but is fassssst!  To give you an idea,  it uses a simple leverage principle to shorten the radius on the traversing arc at the moment of release to produce higher velocities.   Pros and cons:  PRO-very fast.  PRO-No arm jarring yank at release like some of my earlier designs.  PRO-works great and easy to make!   CON-uses one 2.5oz projectile to increase the velocity of a 1.25oz projectile.(Of course these numbers can be scaled to the user's satisfaction)  CON-totally alien sling dynamics including the necessity of releasing sooner than one's honed instincts keep telling one.  CON- One is sacrificing the heavier projectile whose trajectory is always flatter/lower than the main projectile for vastly increased speed. (With an underhand sling style).   One more PRO-It is very fun and challenging!  Smiley Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 11:08pm

Tech is right
If your sling stretches, you will lose stored energy. I also make bows, arrows and strings. When you make your strings, don't let them stretch, it robs energy.
Also, I use natural fibers(sisal) to braid my slings. Nylon seems to stretch a dash for my taste!
Glad you're with us!
Wild at Heart-I read the book also!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 11:19pm

Johnny,  have you tried the spectra/fastflight serving material or spiderwire/spectra fishing line?  It is excllent material for our application.  Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 11:26pm

I use Dacron
I think it is similar to Fastflight. Maybe not.
Are you saying this is good for slings also, or just bowstrings?
Thanks Tech!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Compound sling?
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 11:31pm

I was lying awake last night trying to work out an approach to this. I think I need a few more hints to figure out what you were doing though...

My sling looks like it is tending toward using a captive "booster" weight, and the pro/con list seems similar - speed, smooth, simple / release point difference + sensitivity to timing, possibility of getting beaned in the noggin with a captive "booster" in a somewhat unpredicable (but thankfully energy depleted orbit)

I'm headed home for easter, so hopefully I'll get a chance to throw some trials in a non-urban environment. Highly recommended for experimental sling work!  Grin

Matthias

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 11:33pm

Both actually.   Spectra fiber has a much lower coefficient of stretch than traditional materials.  This gives both the archer and the slinger very similar gains in velocity.   On the order of 10-15fps or so.   This may not seem worthy of attention but can make the difference between a hit and a miss on the long shots for both sports.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 11:36pm

Matthias,  I will try and get a pic posted soon.  Sooner if I find my original and don't have to make another one.  They are fairly easy to make though, so in either case,  I should be posting soon.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 11:38pm

I'll braid a sling using Dacron!
I seem to remember that someone on this forum used Dacron for their sling.
I will give it a try!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 11:50pm

Actually Johnny, the traditional string material to which I was referring is the Dacron material.  The Fastflight/Dyneema material is made of spectra fiber which stretches so little that it is not recommended for most bows with wood risers.   It is vastly superior to B50 Dacron in the stretch department and also is much more abrasion resistant.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 11:29am

So non-elastic strings are the best? I wish I knew some physics equations to help me figure this out. I have the worst physics teacher ever  Tongue

One question - what is a compound sling?

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 12:11pm

Yeah, I'm wondering, too!   What's a "compound sling"?   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 12:44pm

Welcome WildAtHeart!

Interesting topic. I also thought about the sling with a "booster" at one time. I had an idea of the sling which loses the additional mass during the final whip. The idea of shortening of sling during the throw is very interesting. I'm also curious.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 1:25pm

I make my strings for my bows with hemp.  I make slings with either hemp, cotton (because it is cheap), wool, and once, nylon.  Crossbow strings I make with braided cotton, because it makes a string the perfect size to fit Chinese crossbow mechanisms (my favourite because they are very simple and effective).  I really, really want some yak hair for slings, because it is tough and easy to dye.  It is very expensive though, about five pounds for a roll big enough for about half a sling.  So being permanently short of funds, I haven't got any.  Maybe for a birthday or something.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)