Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How did you learn to sling? (Read 9191 times)
The_Peltist
Ex Member

Re: How did you learn to sling?
Reply #15 - Mar 25th, 2004 at 1:46pm

One of the deacons at my church showed me how make a slingshot from a stick and a inner tube. After that he told me stories of him and his brothers as kids getting into trouble with slings. Of course I liked getting into trouble so He told me how to make a real sling and after cutting up my new leather dress shoes I was well on my way to getting in trouble.  Smiley

The rest is history, the first couple rocks I chucked went backwards at the house, Dad loved that......

The_Peltist

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #16 - Mar 25th, 2004 at 11:36pm

My dad made a sling for me out of a rag and shoestrings when I was about 10 years old. Played with it a little and then lost interest. About 5 years ago, I built a house on a hill covered with rocks. I made a quick sling out of leather and began throwing those rock into the empty lot next to mine. I noticed that my aim was improving as well as my distance. I was then hooked. My son and I started to go down to the creek everyday in the summer to gather rocks and hurl them. Haven't stopped since!!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 12:01pm

My cousin showed me how to make one when I was about 5. That was 20 years ago and I still carry one in my pocket. About 4 years ago that a friend showed me a really nice way to sling, with great advantages of accuracy and power over my previous "helicopter" method of slinging. I swear, as soon as I get ahold of a video camera I'll post a movie.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 3:52pm

nwmanitou, ....maybe little description of your slinging style??  Seems like styles run in x3 types:

1/ Overhead w near horizontal spin, 1 full turn at least before launch
2/ "Baseball pitch" w no spin.  Motion can be horizontal or vertical or almost anyplace in between
3/ Underhand w near vertical spin, 1 full turn at least before launch

I favor #3 w 630deg of spin before launch.  Better accuracy for me & easy on old shoulder.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 4:16pm

I learnt to sling mostly from this website, but I have been interested in bows and other weapons for longer than I can really remember.  I was just surfing the net, and came across this site, amongst others.  Because of a large amount of research, my first slings were not crude, and worked quite well.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #20 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 6:34pm

WalkingBird learned to sling by slinging. I was a young kid when I must have read how to make a sling. Using it was a different story, took awhile to work up a technique that worked, after that it was lots of fun. I can't remember a time when I didn't own at least one sling. I've showed others how to throw with one. I never was deadly accurate, but sending a stone nearly out of sight as a kid was a gas. To bad my arm isn't as loose as then. I'm challanged by you folks to really start working on accuracy. A shorter sling would be in order here. One thing I do know you can learn to sling just by slinging, and this forum really helps because of the posts and movie clips.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #21 - Mar 30th, 2004 at 1:09am

sorry, just tried this way to get rid of those stubborn "new" marks..  Wink

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Reply #22 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 12:16am

I got into slings by browsing the internet, finding this site, making a sling, figuring out how to use it and then using it  Grin FUN FUN FUN!

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick)