Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Long Range Accuracy (Read 10746 times)
Uriel
Tiro

Long Range Accuracy
Mar 18th, 2004 at 4:39pm

How far does anyone on the forum sling from and still attain good levels of accuracy?
 I used to sling from about 50yrds at a 5gal (25ltr ?)drum and get a reasonable number of hits (put a good few holes in it too  Smiley).
 Are there any real long range slingers out there?
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2004 at 6:33pm by Uriel »  

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Re: Long Range Accuracy
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 5:01pm

Welcome Uriel,

Please, tell us first what you mean as "a reasonable number of hits" and "a real long range slingers".

My bigest accuracy achievement was four-times hiting into the old rusty steel tractional pole from 180 yards. But I pass over in silence how many times I tred Smiley So alas, I can't say that it was a  reasonable number of hits Sad

Greeting,

Jurek
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2004 at 8:17pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Uriel
Tiro

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 5:14pm

Hi Yurek!
    I used to be able to hit the drum maybe 8 or nine times out of ten at 50 yrds. I would sometimes put a smaller 1gal (1 Ltr) can on top of the bigger one but I could only hit it about 3 or 4 times (on a really good day) out of 10.
     As to long range, I am very impressed with your hitting something at 180yrds. I doubt if I could even see the pole at that range  Grin. Well done!

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 5:32pm

Quote:
I used to be able to hit the drum maybe 8 or nine times out of ten at 50 yrds. I would sometimes put a smaller 1gal (1 Ltr) can on top of the bigger one but I could only hit it about 3 or 4 times (on a really good day) out of 10.

Uriel, I'm very impresed, it's a amazing result! You are a true sniper. How long is your sling and how long are you in slinging?

Quote:
I doubt if I could even see the pole at that range

The pole is quite big. This is something like a truss (?). So even my not the best eyes can see that Cheesy

Jurek
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2004 at 8:18pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Uriel
Tiro

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 6:11pm

Thanks Yurek, but I am more impressed by your long range shots   8). Some shooting, I would need a telescopic sight at that range Grin.
   I started slinging about 15 years ago and probably slung (if that is the correct term  Smiley) for about seven years on a regular basis. I used to stay in the country and practiced most days. One thing I should say is that the target was always the same and in the same place. 
  A true test would have been on a course like a Field Archery course where the target varies from shot to shot.
   I use a 27/28 inch sling (pouch to end of cord) with smallish stones (2-3oz). I haven't been slinging on a regular basis for a few years since moving to a town, but I have just made a new sling and 'am dying to get back into slinging.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 10:21pm

Uriel
Is your pouch attached to cords or is it one braided piece?
I sling at 5 gallon buckets at 50 yards also. I can hit it, but not at your consistency!
Yurek
Do you sling over your head or underhanded? Your photo shows an over-the-head technique.
Thanks

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 3:21am

Uriel,

Welcome to our forum.  I see I'm 9 posts too late but welcome just the same.  That is some very impressive accuracy you had going there.  Jurek is our forum champion as far as range goes.  Ask him how far he can sling.

Hey Johnny. 

Cool passage (Judges 20:16)  I guess those guys must be my ancestors huh...?  Except I'm right handed.
                                      Benjamin      

IP Logged

Uriel
Tiro

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 4:06pm

Hi there Johnny Smiley. My sling is a leather pouch with attatched cords. I have put a description on Yureks "Inventors Corner " post. Nice to hear from you.
  Thanks for your kind welcome Whipartist. Yurek has got some amazing long range hits by the sounds of it. I just wondered how far people were slinging and achieving hits . Yureks 4 hits at 180yrds is way out of my league  Grin.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 4:20pm

Uriel,

You have a great seniority with a sling. I have came back to slinging last spring, after very long pause. Before, I used a sling couple of my young years (salad days?). My habits have survived the years, hovever. I always used rather long slings and practiced range shots. My accuracy never were as good as yours. My shortest sling is 37" long. Probably my accuracy would be better with shorter one but it's difficult to break my habits Smiley

Just Ben (Whipartist) also have contributed to my the best ranges Smiley

Jurek

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 4:26pm

Johny,

I sling rather over-head, bot not excactly. The last whip is more lateral.

Jurek

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 4:32pm

how many rotations?
I hurl with one quick rotation, Some do 2 or 3, I seem to lose power when I do more than one.

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 4:36pm

Uriel,

Quote:
... Yurek has got some amazing long range hits by the sounds of it. I just wondered how far people were slinging and achieving hits . Yureks 4 hits at 180yrds is way out of my league

These hits, this is something like in the case of monkey, which was typing on a keyboard by hundred years and at last had written the poem Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2004 at 7:58pm by Yurek »  

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 4:47pm

Johny,

I usually do 1 or 2 initial rotations and next whiping. I also can throw without initial rotations, but use it seldom. Greater amount of the initial rotation doesn't soften my shots, because I mainly accelerate stronger just before the whip.

Jurek

IP Logged

Uriel
Tiro

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 6:07pm

Yurek,
     Sorry I typed it in a hurry. I should have previewed it first.  Embarrassed.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 7:56pm

Quote:
  Yurek,
    Sorry I typed it in a hurry. I should have previewed it first.  Embarrassed.

Uriel, I'm not sure if my last post (with monkey) was clear. I only meant that I was slinging many many times in the pole drection, but I hit them only 4 times. It was like that monkey's good luck. There wasn't any hidden meaning.

Jurek

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker)