A Great Day Slinging! (Read 1356 times)
Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
A Great Day Slinging!
Mar 13th, 2004 at 2:56pm

Hi everyone,

I've been slinging since last summer having just picked up a survival handbook and seen one in there. After a little web searching I found out there were some more crazy nuts just like me!

I'm into ancient history big time, especially bronze age, Greek and Roman - and recently joined a Roman re-enactment group on Hadrian's Wall.

I was so pleased to find the aetcles on this site, especially with the video clips - now I don't feel bad about using the under-arm technique which I had read was a non-starter and useful only for height! IT is my preferred method.

I spent the day on the beach with my son practicing range under-arm and also with my new staff sling.

I make my slings from woven leather thong. My staff sling is a leather cup - an exact replica of a sling pouch found at Vindolanda Roman fort on the Wall. It can loft some pretty big stones!

Anyway... nice to be here, and its nice to know there's other mad guys around.  Wink

Cheers!

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: A Great Day Slinging!
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 3:05pm

Where can I see the Vindolanda pouch?Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 3:46pm

Howdie!!

I wish I had a beach with nice smooth stones!
My son in 11 and loves to sling too. We go to a concrete plant near our home. We named our target George the Roman. His picture is on the gallery.

Glad to have you with us nuts Grin

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 8:39am

Welcome,

I'd love to put some pictures of your sling up in the gallery.  You can email them to me if you want.  You can access my email in the members link above.

I'm also fascinated in ancient history, and the more I learn about the sling, the more I realize how important the weapon was. 

Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick)