Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Target Slinging Challenge (Read 10909 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Target Slinging Challenge
Mar 11th, 2004 at 6:53pm

I have layed out in my garage a half-sized "Balearic slinging range".   So I have half a chance to hit something, I used half the kiddie slinging distance. 

Right now it is 23degF outside, w winds gusting to 30+mph, thus the half-sized inside range.

So, this is my little challenge:

Distance to target is 16 feet
Target square is  2 feet square
Target hole is 9.5 inches in dia
Target center is 63 inches off the ground

Scoring will be 5 consecutive shots, getting 2 points for each hit on the hole, and 1 point for each hit on the square.  A perfect score would be 10 points.   Why?  I just liked perfect being 10 for 5 shots instead of 8 for 4 shots.

Missiles are tennis balls.

I shall post my scores from time to time, and expect to be embarrassed often.   I invite others to do the same.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Target Slinging Challenge
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 7:08pm

11 March 2004 Best Score = 2 out of 10
12 March 2004 Best Score = 5, incl 2 "in the hole"!
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2004 at 2:12pm by mgreenfield »  

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 7:53pm

Cool,

I'll bite!!  Grin I will make a target tomorrow and start practicing with dur tennis balls. Getting specific--we can not step over the 16' line --correct?

Come on folks--this will get us practicing and we might even have our own little unofficial slinging olympics some day Grin

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 2:58am

I like the idea very much too!!!  Cheesy

I will try to make me a such target and buy some tennis balls.  Good ideas for rainy days also in the summer - when ever it comes- and for practise in the garden!

Good Idea, mgreenfield and keep on slinging  Grin

/Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 8:51am

....yep!    No stepping over the 16 ft line.   mgreenfield

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 12:36pm

Fellow target slingsters,   ...making sure that my sling hand is pointed right AT the target, as a follow through, after release seems to add a lot to accuracy.    Lateral aim with my vertical spin has never been a problem.  This almost "bowling style" follow through seems to help with vertical aim a lot.  It probably adds 2-3 points to my scores.   mgreenfield

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 2:14pm

Well Folks,

This morning I made my "Official MGreenfield Sling Challenge Target" It is made of a 3/4" plywood scrap-- I had in my shed, 24"X24". I made 5"deep sides and a top and used 2-- 2" angle brackets to attach it to the brick on the side of my house. The 9 1/2" hole is in the middle of course and I took the hole I cut out and made it  81/2" in size. I then attached a flat rubber bungie strap to it with 2 screws and washers. I then centered it in the hole and used 2 more screws and washers to attach the strap to the back side of the box.

When you hit the hole, it flaps the 81/2" disc and goes into the box and drops to the ground. Sometimes it bounces back out.

After some warmups I managed to get 5-6 points on average with 7 being my highest. I am used to throwing hard so I shot from about 20' so I was not getting hit on the bounce back so much and so I could catch the ball before it got by me and into our fish pond Grin Yes I did soak a few balls but, boy you should see the spray of water off the tennis ball on the whip of release!!!

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 3:54pm

I got lucky and got a -- 10 -- at 16 feet! I tried one more but missed.

I just bought some new tennis balls!! Shocked Shocked Shocked I about  nailed myself  --man do they bounce.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 6:04pm

...poke the new tennis balls w a small nail to let the pressure out.   They'll keep their shape.   A local tennis club will give me a few worn out balls each time I ask.  

David_T got a 10 on the first day!   The embarassments for me begin! Grin       mgreenfield

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 9:55pm

MG,

Thanks for the tip about letting the preasure out of the ball. That should help. I have been slinging a lot, so don't feel bad. If we get Hondero and others participating I will look bad I'm sure! Cry

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 5:26am

I have been using a target for ages, but nothing like this.  There is no scoring, just seeing if I can hit the target or the bullseye at different ranges.  I use a piece of A3 paper with a target on suspended on a frame of 4 sticks, hung between a branch and the ground.  The target is in the woods.  Behind the target is a large tree, and every time I hit the target, the paper is pierced in the place it hit.  Paper is cheap, and I ca easily get some at school, so replacing used targets is no problem.  But the thing is, naturally I can't post scores if there are no scores to post.
  I use other targets for other things: a large log, with a pumpkin shoved on top, serves as a bolas target when I can't use a scarecrow.  An atlatl target or bow target is either the same as the bolas target or the sling target, but the atlatl wrecks the sling target, totally tears it to pieces.  Quite fun though.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 9:54am

Hey English,

You should find a flat wall and get some tape--duct tape or masking tape. It would be an easy way to make a 24X24 target. Cut out a 9 1/2" circle and tape it in the middle. Grin If you made the circle of tin or plastic, it would make a sound when you hit it. Grin Just some ideas
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2004 at 3:25pm by David_T »  

IP Logged

adair3
Tiro

Lubbock, TX
Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 12:39pm

I've got to try this out when I get the chance.  I have a field production job so I can carry the target in my truck and throw rocks at it whenever I need to stop and take a break.  Smiley

Scott Adair

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 3:41pm

Yes Sir,

Join the slinging challenge!

I have been slinging concrete for six months and am at a point where I am frustrated with the inconsistancy. Slinging a tennis ball has always seemed "whimpy" to me since it is so light and doesn't destroy things when it hits  Grin   BUT   slinging a tennis ball has made me realize that in six months I have actually gotten better. I was beginning to wonder. Using an consistant size, shape, and weight ammo makes a big differance!!

If we all post our scores it will help us keep practicing and improving our skills.  
Yesturday I was slinging at my Golden Retriever in the back yard.   Grin  It doesn't really hurt him except one time when he was far away so I slung really hard--not expecting to hit him Roll Eyes  I nailed him right on the nose with a tennis ball Cry But he still loves me Grin

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 7:14pm

I like mgreenfield's idea. I must try that. Tennis balls are pretty good ammo for accuracy practice. When I'm walking with my dog I suspend a compact disc on a steel mesh fence and beat into that one from the 10-15m distance. Usually, balls stick in the meshes, so I see exactly how very I miss Smiley But sometimes they pierce the mesh and I must run round Smiley Comapct disc is pretty visible in night-time. So is good for instinctive practice.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15)