Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
The Way of the Sling
Mar 2nd, 2004 at 8:44pm

Hondero,

Nice article!!!!!!!!!! 8)

That puts into words why I am fascinated with the sling. I must say I have been very frustrated for six months since I first used the sling. I have tried to sling a few hours ever week and never felt I was making progress. I would have a "good day" and be missing in a consistant way but then the next day it was gone.

The last two weeks seem to have "connected" something in my head.  I am keeping a more consistant pattern when I sling and I am hitting the mark much more often. It is really exciting.

I can not wait for you to watch the videos I made and tell me if any of the styles are similar to some of the styles you wrote of. Chris is getting them ready to post.

Again, very good article!!

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Re: The Way of the Sling
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 10:49am

I read this article with a great pleasure too. Sometimes I'm really sure that I will hit the aim, and it happens. It is very nice feeling, but alas, too seldom for me. Maybe, zen slinging would be a good idea Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 11:08am

Ahh. Finally I understand what it was meant with this thread, and found the article in the article-section.

Yes. I read it with great pleasure to. It was very nice written and I get caugh by it. I really want to gain that skill so it feels like magic. It must be a wonderfull feeling !

Well done, Jesús!

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 11:08am

Quote:
I read this article with a great pleasure too. Sometimes I'm really sure that I will hit the aim, and it happens. It is very nice feeling, but alas, too seldom for me. Maybe, zen slinging would be a good idea Smiley

Jurek

Or as said before: larger targets *smile*

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 1:02pm

Thanks, I am glad that you all have liked the article  Smiley.

David, I can imagine your style since you have described it sometimes and I remember that you do a single turn from the Greek position (I prefer to do two or three), but nothing better than to see the video to appreciate if the execution is adapted for acuarcy. You say that: "I have tried to sling a few hours ever week and never felt I was making progress. I would have a "good day" and be missing in a consistant way but then the next day it was gone." That is typical of the period of learning, happens to everybody and it means that still is soon, that the technique for accuaracy is not consolidated yet. It´s necessary a lot of practice. Once I´ve seen the video I can say if there is some error in the technique.

Sure, Yurek, the intuitive shot with sling has much to do with the Zen. It exist  a Zen bow discipline and the accuracy that they develop is amazing. It is said that they are able to nail an arrow on the previous one. So we are not due to astonish of the so high precision that it can be obtained with a sling.

I encourage you, Ulrica, I do not have any doubt you will reach the Ayla´s accuaracy at least. How long took she in having good aim? The bad thing to enlarge the target is that if you go hunting is not posible to enlarge  the rabbits and ducks  Roll Eyes

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 3:52pm

Quote:
I encourage you, Ulrica, I do not have any doubt you will reach the Ayla´s accuaracy at least. How long took she in having good aim? The bad thing to enlarge the target is that if you go hunting is not posible to enlarge  the rabbits and ducks  Roll Eyes

Thank you.
*smile* you start to know me very well. Altough i didn´t wrote it, my aim is really the skill of Ayla.
Altough she is a non existing person... she somehow is my heroness.  In the book you got the feeling she practice several hours every day, and still it took about a year to gain the great accuracy.

*laugh* Well, then go straigh to the big animals... Elk or deer....

Or just don´t go hunting but just hit large targents Wink
- but actually it doesn´t sounds like so much fun...

//Ulrica... Who still wish the snow will dissapear!

IP Logged

adair3
Tiro

Lubbock, TX
Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2004 at 12:56pm

Jesus,

I just read your article.  It is excellent.  I have done a bit of traditional archery using a longbow and have practiced 'instinctive' shooting.  I agree that intuitive or instinctive aiming is the way to go with slings.  It is funny; some of the guys I know who shoot compound bows are always talking trash about traditional archery and praising the merits of their technological wonders.  Cams, sights, mechanical releases....

Such equipment does not make the hunter/warrior! 

As I said It is a great article.  I would like to read your books.  Any chance they might be translated into english?  If not, yo hablo un poco de espanol. 

Take care,

Scott

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 12:24am

Hondero,

I really enjoyed your article!  I play basketball some, and martial arts aswell.  It's that finesse and confidence inside, that makes your movements full of energy, with no unnecessary muscular tension.  When you are relaxed, and are able to forget about the movements, and just put enthusiasm and belief into it, it works.  I've yet to achieve that with the sling, but like David, I've had times where I could just do great with it, and times where I couldn't.  Awesome article.  You've already made a massive contribution to the slinging community world wide!

Ben

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 2:04pm

Thanks for your appreciation, adair3, I have not practiced much with bow but I read a book on zen bow  that excited me. The author said, among other amazing things, that his master was able to hit the target with closed eyes. Naturally, first he watched the target and concentrated in it, afterwards he closed the eyes, armed the arc and shooted. Mysteries and wonders of intuitive aim.
The books of the sling are not translated to English yet, perhaps I´ll find somebody really bilingual that can do it, because I don´t feel able to do it suitably.

Ben, nice to hear you again and check you are ready to sling... at least words by the moment  Smiley. It´s very kind of you... well, you are also becoming an introducer (importer) of the sling in US. You know, here there are some South American stores and from time to time they have slings, so I got someones similar to yours. But I am thinking about contacting with somebody of Tibet and seeing the possibility of bringing slings from there. If I got something I´ll send the addreses to all you. We will end up monopolizing the commerce of slings  Grin.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 4:02pm

Quote:
But I am thinking about contacting with somebody of Tibet and seeing the possibility of bringing slings from there. If I got something I´ll send the addreses to all you. We will end up monopolizing the commerce of slings  .

Wow, I would be interested in that!  I love the Tibetan slings.  I hope that works out.

Ben

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark)