Send Topic Print
Pirouette (Read 2281 times)
Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Pirouette
Mar 1st, 2004 at 5:19pm

I  have a sling casting style which I believe is unique, in that I don't know of anyone else who does it this way, or of anyone who has learned from me and does it successfully.

But, I think it could be the most powerful casting style, since it relies on the law of conservation of angular momentum to work.

If you remember watching a ice skater spinning on one toe, then pulling in her arms, and begin spinning faster until the eye cannot keep up with her movement, then you can grasp the principle.

To perform this, you must first put your left foot (assuming right-hand slinger) as far away from your slinghand as you comfortably can.
-Holding your sling out to the right side, step over and around with your right foot, so your right foot lands on the opposite side of your left foot, and you pivot on your left.
-Step over and around with your left foot in the same way, going in the same direction.
-You have been keeping the slingarm down, now raise it up over your head and describe the smallest circle overhead with your sling, and release when you have made about one circle.

When I do this, I really feel a pull on my finger, and that's with a fairly short sling. It feels like the finger's about to be pulled out of its socket!

And the stone simply disappears.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Pirouette
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 6:24pm

....yet another video I want to see soon!!   Any chance?   How long's the sling?  How heavy's the rock?  How far it go?   My basic coordination is so lousey, I'd probably end up in a pile on the ground.   mgreenfield

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 6:59pm

Douglas

That is the way, more or less, that I use when slinging rocks way to heavy for my normal slinging style. You can throw a very big rock that way. The only difference is that I still try and put in lots of whip at the end of the throw. I can attest to the fact that even a big rock can be chunked suprisingly far using that technicue. Next time I get the chance I'll try it exactly the way you have written with a smaller stone, and see how it works.

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not the only one doing a spinning windup!

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 11:53pm

What you describe is quite near the exact method I used for my personal best 1" 2.5oz. ball bearing launch.  My sling was 49" long and rather than keep the sling in until ready to lauch,  and as my sling was a bit longer than my  hunting version,  I raised mine in an arc over and through with my 'pirouette' and as I came out, I then tightened the arc and made one more complete loop for the release.   It is a bit trickier that way but I found that for my peronal style, it proved beneficial.  It did take a bit of getting used to, however.   So essentially,  I made 2 complete revolutions during the sling event.  Extreme distance slinging is the only time I need or use more than one complete revolution to achieve the desired result.   In my extensive research of the most efficient kinematics achievable for my particular build, physical composition and coordination, I found that one complete arc provided the best combination of power and accuracy for all but extreme distance slinging.  And in that case......the 'pirouette' indeed provided the most productive result!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 5:18pm

Ah! So I am not alone!  Shocked

I have a background in a few eastern martial arts involving spinning kicks, although alas I am no master.

WalkingBird, by whip do you mean that you surge back and forth just before the release? I never just "let go", but rather surge back and forth...

Light stones, up to 3 or 4 oz, short sling, like Jesus' forearm length sling...

For distance I think you want to incline your throw to about 45 degrees...

Like to get ahold of a police radar and really get an idea of velocity...

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 7:07pm

Douglas

The reason that I use some of this technique is for large heavy stones. So when I start the full body turn it looks esencially the same. The first turn is completed with me facing the target area, ( I usually don't miss because it's the lake), once stopped the arm continues the sling by passing over my head, but at this point it starts to differ in that I let the sling pull my arm back behind me and to the right (I'm right handed), at that point I really add the power (the WHIP) as the throw is completed more or less as a "side arm".
   That's why I say I will have to try your complete style using a lighter stone. I'd really like to see how it works without allowing the arm extension. Seems like timing the release would be very critical. If I'm reading your style right the speed you are achieving would be very high.
    It's always nice to try new styles and see how they work, so I appreciate your post.
    Thanks

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 10:38am

Douglas,

I hit you website last summer. I tried this technique. Indeed, that one gives an extra power. But after a few shots I felt like a drunken slinger Cheesy

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

THOMAS
Ex Member

Rocks?

Re: Baseball Pirouette anybody ?
Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 10:10pm

Hello !

I have been visiting this forum on and off for close to a year. I finally couldn't resist signing up and sharing my
baseball slinging experiences. Having given up stone ammo decades ago, about 15 yrs. back i started experimenting with both hardballs and softballs. My style is right handed but with the right foot forword and left directly in line. 
No complete pirouette, just a lazy counter clockwise 180! Since I am only interested in maximum range the target is a broad center field. The slings I have been making since about 1988 are of 1/8th inch braided nylon with a folded length of between 48 and 51 inches.
     Any questions about details are more than welcome.

Thomas

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2004 at 9:09pm

A hardie Slingers Welcome Thomas!

I have slung hard balls over the backstop from mid- center field. They make good ammo if the pouch is big enough.

You've been slinging a long time. Tell us some stories and send some pictures.

Douglas,

You or someone has to send a video of that style! It is too late for me to think through your explanation, but tomorrow I need to give it a try.

So, who is going to video this one for us to view??

IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 11:31am

I can do that, but how do I post it to the site? Can I just email you an attachment? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Chris)