SLING WEAR AND TEAR (Read 9998 times)
David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
SLING WEAR AND TEAR
Feb 27th, 2004 at 11:29am

I HAVE BEEN SLINGING CHUNKS OF CONCRETE FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS NOW. AND THESE ARE SOME OBSERVATIONS:
Stitching
My first sling was woven from jute and stitched thru the pouch --20 steps style. The concrete cute thru the jute stitching in the pouch after about 3 hours of slinging

Since that time, inspite of putting hot glue over the stitches every now and then, I have cut thru at least one stiitch in the pouch of all 5 slings I use. I have a 24" nylon, 24"hemp, 46" nylon, 37'hemp, 33" hemp.  I just hot glued a pices of hemp over the cut stitch and add glue to the back stitching.

Leather Pouch

My pouches are cut from a 8"x12" piece I buy at a craft store (Tandy leather) not as thick looking as some I see posted like Yurek's.  The only damage I have done to them is when I have slung underhand and dropped too low and hit the ground. I have put tears in two that way and cut some stitching. I still use them and the tears have not gotten any worse. Leather is amazing.
Of course concrete dust dries out leather so I put a leather conitioner on them now and then.

Release Knode

I have replaced the hot glue knode I put over the knot several times on all the slings.
I have had to unbraid and add new lenth to three of the slings because the knots finally wore off or broke off from the constant whip action.

Release Cord

Besides the release knode, I have found the release cord takes the most wear. Not nearly as much with the short slings From the pouchback 4"-6" the stones on release must drag and wear out this area. Even though I put hot glue on it I constantly have to add more and it begins to get much build up of glue. It is very hard to remove hot glue once it is in the cord.
I have cut thru two release cords which ruins the sling Since you have to find another way to hook it to the pouch. I have now started wrapping this area with hemp. I think they call it "whipping" when you wind the hemp around the cord. This protects the cord, is less stiff than the glue and if it wears out, you can undo it and rewrap it.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re:  SLING WEAR AND TEAR
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 11:56am

Rough rocks and concrete will destroy your slings. I learned this a long time ago. I now sling only choice stones that are smooth and round. I would go through slings every 2 weeks with rough stones, but now, since using smooth ammo, my slings are lasting for months.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 2:34pm

Johnny

Yes that is true. But since I only have this place with unlimited ammo just a half mile from my house, I make due.

I think Walking bird posted some pics of a place in Mexico that was loaded with beautiful smooth river rocks. Smooth stones are soooooo nice to sling---dense and fly fast and straight!!!!

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 2:39pm

I am woking on a style of pouch with no stitching. The only probem I have is the stone sometimes slip out. The stitched pouch definately holds stones more securely. I never have a stone slip out of a stitched pouch unless it is really big and odd shaped.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 2:48pm

David
Check this website out.
http://www.mallorcaweb.net/foners/fer_fones/fer_fona.htm
I braid my slings the same way. Sewing a leather pouch on is optional(you'll see when you get on the site). When I was still slinging rough stones with this sling, the only part that wore out was the area around the retention knob. Hope this helps!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 6:23pm

David,

Just that's why I prefer leather pouches and simple, quick designs.

BTW

Quote:
My pouches are cut from a 8"x12" piece I buy at a craft store (Tandy leather) not as thick looking as some I see posted like Yurek's...

Sure you think about this sling from the gallery:

Live history of this one was very short. The leather ear (on the release side) was broken quickly. The leather was too thin, indeed, and shape of the ears was not very good. So it would be well to remove that from gallery.

The sling with the bicycle-chain link was made of much stronger leather, was very durable. Sometimes  I changed the release cord due to worn out the release knot. I liked that one but I lost that somewhere outdoor.

Here are the pictures of my universal sling which I use curently. The shape of the ears is much better for durability and these are reinforced by the stuck leather pieces. The bands (twines) are impregnated by a very hard quick glue. This sling is 37" long and I use them for fun with snow-balls, snad-balls, stones, tennis-balls and anything. It is pretty durable and let to replace the cords if it's needed.

Jurek

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2005 at 6:34pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 7:55pm

Very cool slings!  How is the pouch attached, exactly?  It can't just be wrapped -- is it the glue that holds it together?

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 8:18pm

David_T

Looking at what you say about slinging concrete, I think the the best way to go is a simple sling where each part is easly replaced. At least that would be my first option. You might think about putting a short length of surgical tubing over the release cord near the pouch, say about 10 inches long or so, that would afford some protection to the cord.
   I remember helping a man lay block for a week or so. He worked in latex dish washing gloves, I worked in leather gloves. The difference being that his light weight latex glove out lasted my leather gloves 3 to 1. They stand up to the concrete block much better. I know it is hard to believe, but if you don't snag and rip them they will last a long time.
   Surgical tubing I believe is made out of latex rubber. You can find it in the dept. stores in the form of replacement slingshot rubber bands. Just slipping a length over the release cord should lengthen the life quite a bit. I wouldn't try to fasten it on as the extra looseness would keep the ware down even more.

Anyway....hope this helps you get more hours out of each sling. Please let me know if you try it, and how it works for you.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 8:21pm

Jurek

That is a first class sling. Very excilent for cool!

WalkingBird

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 9:14pm

Yurek,

I had a braided sling that worn out the stitching several months ago when you had just posted that picture. I cut off the stitching of the pouch which made it narrower and attached the cords with hot glue and wrapped thread as you did around the leather and cord. It has held on perfectly much to my surprise.

I love the looks of the braided slings but for this concrete I am going to make some more repairable style slings like yours.

Please do detail how you attatch the cord.

Thanks my friend

Johnny,
I will look at that site. Thanks!

Walkingbird,

Cool idea about the tubing! Do you think it would stretch over about a  3/8" release node? It would be more flexable than the hot glue. I can not roll up the sling very tight since the glued area is stiff enough to want to keep straightening out. 

I love this pool of ideas and minds!!!!

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 12:04am

That sling with the green cord is a beauty!!

Yurek told us some time ago how he does the attachment of cord/pouch.  But he is a nice guy and might just do it again.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 12:47am

Hey there Jeff,

Yes, I know, but I am lazy and was hoping good ole Yurek would tell me where or explain it again Roll Eyes

That green sling is pretty.

I just mailed Chris a CD full of videos my son took last Saturday. We got some great stuff!! We captured me making a direct hit to old George the Roman's head from 50 yards!OOOCH!!  Don't tell anyone that it took me about 10 minutes though. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 9:05am

Guys,

nice to hear you like that sling, I like that too.

Here are more details:

The leather which I used is about 1 mm (0.04") thick and is'n very flexible. Due to its thinness I have strengthened the ears by the additional pieces fixed by good flexible glue. If you have hard and strong leather then these ones will not be neccessary, probably. The ears width should let wrap up the cords in a bit above 50%.

The wrapped conection should be very strong to the friction being enough for good keeping the cords. But you must be careful, don't injure the leather. Despite of it I used a quick glue for additional certainty and comfortable wrapping. I have soaked wrapping up by a bit of very hard quick glue.

Here are the pictures:

Jurek
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2005 at 6:33pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 2:01pm

Many thanks to you Yurek,

Can I trouble you to tell me what kind of glue ? Quick dry? flexible? Do you stick the end of the string in the glue for a minute or two. How fast does it dry. Can you get it on your fingers or does it dry too fast and stick your fingers togethe??

Sorry to trouble you but I am making one like yours today. Grin Grin

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 3:44pm

David,

For impregnation the wraped conections I really have used the glue which you mean. For sticking the leather pieces it would be better to use a appropiate glue. But I was unpatient so I have used the quick dry glue too.  Still keeps very well Smiley

Jurek

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick)