David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Shorter Slings??
Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 3:38pm

I totally agree with Larry and Jeff.

I also noticed something strange. I hurt my arm throwing real hard close range with my short sling a while back. I could not resist slinging though-- so I tried my long sling with light throws. I was surprised that I could throw much larger stone farther and use less effort without hurting. Leverage!!

IP Logged

LBray500
Tiro

Lyman, Ut (USA)
Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 4:52pm

Jurek,

Maybe I exagerated.   Smiley 

I just wanted to make the point that a shorter sling seems to lend itself to more consistent throws and is less finicky regarding projectile shape than a longer sling. 

How about 300 yards nearly every time?

Larry

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 5:08pm

Jurek, ....that is a great drawing & should go into the Picture Gallery or similar place permanently.    What I think you actually said was this.  To make up for the smaller long-sling F2, you effectively increase your arm length by adding much upper-body movement in the spin up.  You simply increase the size of the whole "slinging system" while holding rock weight constant. 

On the other hand, I'm (much?) older.  So, the amount of shoulder and upper-body movement I put into a launch is probably quite small compared to what you're doing.

Ahh, where are the videos when we need them??   Many tnx!    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 5:32pm

Quote:
How about 300 yards nearly every time?

Uffff... Now much better. Thanks Larry, you so nice that you are sparing me and let me avoid frustration, but...

but... I'm still very impresed Cheesy

You are right, a shoter sling is really more pernament in useing. Controlling a proper release with a longer one is more difficult, more shots are poor. But if all goes well that one gives better ranges.

Jurek Wink

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #19 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 7:44pm

I have learned through trial and error that, indeed one will find a length that is the "sweet spot" for them as a hunter sling.  And conversely,  a longer length ratio at which the optimum distance can be achieved.  I always used a different style and much longer sling when going for distance.  I have seen many and suprisingly diverse slinging styles!   I was never very good at the multi swing method except for distance.  I found my best power to accuracy ratio in a single arc method.  Just a quick single whip around in a near vertical plane in an underhand motion.  I have settled in quite comfortably with this style for years and it has brought me good results.  I am reminded, by this topic, of an older gentleman who travelled the U.S., a Doctor Kupler I believe,  and demonstrated various primitive weapons skills.  He really lent credence to "the shorter the more accurate" theory!   His sling was about 15" long I'd say!  He really only plinked around with it, but was quite accurate at short range and would routinely hit small pine boards thrown into the air.  His style was textbook (if there is such a thing in our sport)  He would rapidly whirl the sling over his head faster and faster until release.....I was amazed at his accuracy with such a method!   It was so very short yet it still impressed me that his lead ammo could sometimes snap those little 1/2" pine boards at 30 feet or so.  I am going to try and get some video documentation online in the near future.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 7:48pm

Techstuf
I would LOVE to see that! Ultra COOL!!!!!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #21 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 8:50pm

Man I was WAY off.   I checked my videos and found his name to be Dr. Stacy Groscup.  I mutilated his name....my memory with names wreaks!   I will try and dig out my old CWS SuperSling Demo video as well.  Some may be surprised at the accuracy one may obtain and still sling at high velocities!

Peace

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #22 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 8:54pm

Tech
My goal is to pop coffee cans one after another at 25 yards, I have hit 5 gallon buckets @ 75 yards. Don't get me wrong, I can't hit every time! i can usually come within 10 yards of the bucket most of the time.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #23 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 4:49pm

I'm using a 30" sling, and a vertical underhand delivery, with 630deg of spin from start to launch.   In launching a rock, I see that my sling hand makes a circle certainly less than 15" in diameter, and that my elbow is almost stationary.   I do some follow-thru upon launch, but think that's probably after the rock is already on it's way.   Follow-thru and other "body english" adds nothing to range, and messes up accuracy a lot.

For an older/smaller guy, I seem to be getting OK range, ....about 100yards.   Regarding accuracy, I'm about where I was with a bow & arrow after the same small amount of practice.    I ended up being pretty good with a bow, so have hope for the sling.

Finally, this throwing technique is certainly easy on the shoulder, and I dont need a lot of room to get a shot off, BUT moving my sling hand in a small circle, less than 15" in diameter, seems odd when I read about other slingsters' techniques???

All comments/recommendations from my fellow slingsters are welcome.    Many tnx!   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #24 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 7:42pm

I sling with a vertical, underhand hurl. You are right that it is easy on the shoulder. The horizontal hurl(like a helicopter over the head) kills my shoulder(I'm an old guy also, 41!). I can get good accurate shots with this hurl(vertical).
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #25 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 8:24pm

MG,

MG,

I am going to guess that you don't sling large stones--like the size of your fist or a bit smaller? I need a lot more than 15" to throw heavy stones but I also use the same motion for smaller stones and it is very much like a baseball pitchers motion.

Chris thinks he will have the pictures and videos I sent ready to post by next week. Hope some of you other guys --and gals can video some of your slinging!

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 10:15am

RE STONE SIZE, .....yeah, I find my "best" sized rock is just 2-3oz.   1.6oz golf balls are too light.  I can get bigger stones launched, but w no velocity or accuracy.   Best practice sessions are for accuracy w tennis balls (2oz) at about 20ft.    Very satisfying loud "whap" into the garage door at that distance.   They're "fluffy" enough to lose velocity fast, so seem pretty safe to use.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 12:13pm

I too, much prefer the underhand delivery for target slinging.  After much experimentation I settled on a single revolution of the sling as it provided me the best ratio of repeatable accuracy and power.  I found the autonomic imprint of a single, very fast sling revolution was very similar to throwing the shuriken overhanded.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #28 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 2:24pm

TechStuff, ....I start w the "Palestinian Kid" setup; sling held horizontal about shoulder height.   The vertical spin starts pretty gently w a little lift from the knees as the  pocket is released into the spin with a tiny vertical toss.   Total spin is 1-3/4 turns, assuming the release is when the sling cords are pointing about straight down. 

I still get pretty good accuracy w the 1-3/4 turn spin, and I figure as I gain strength, skill & confidence, I'll have the spins available to absorb more and more energy before release.

Even now, I'm occasionally getting a "real bullet" off, ....about 100yards in a fairly flat trajectory.   Those feel great!        mgreenfield

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #29 - Mar 6th, 2004 at 5:31pm

Hondero, .....I think you have something with that elbow-to-finger sling length business!    I started slinging last fall with a 38 inch sling.    Now I know that a "mushy" feel to a sling means it is too long.   A "snappy" feel means the right length.   

The last couple of weeks, I've been shortening my slings every time they begin to feel even a little bit "mushy".   Today I'm down to 25 inches from the pocket-center to the knot. 

Whenever I shorten a sling, I immediately improve accuracy, but lose a little range.   In a few days, the range comes back.     Works good!   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris)