Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shorter Slings?? (Read 9332 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Shorter Slings??
Feb 26th, 2004 at 9:57am

Odd experience!   I was slinging tennis balls across our church gym last eve, ....great indoor practice ammo & place, when my favorite sling started to "go mushy" in my hand again.    Launch velocity felt slow, & accuracy was lousey.    This morning, I shortened it from 35" to 32", ....a big jump!  But it feels "snappy" again.    I slammed a few tennis balls into the garage door to see.

What's going on here??   I was "raised" to think longer is always better.    Jurek & others are swinging near 50" slings.  This sling started out about 41", and "went mushy" 1-2 times before to get down to 35".    Will I ultimately be swinging a 12" mini-sling???

My inquiring mind wants to know.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Shorter Slings??
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:04am

Give us a few more details here.  What do you mean by "mushy"?

Shorter is certainly better for accuracy.  The more experience you have, the better you can use a long sling, but shorter will still achieve better accuracy.

Are your cords stretchy?   As some earlier discussions have shown, the less stretch you have, the better.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:05am

Mgreenfield
      It may have something to do with the ligth weight of the tennis balls. If you normally use the sling with rocks the tennis balls may not provide sufficent resistance to allow really putting some whip into the cast at the last second. Don't know, but I hope this helps.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:10am

I know what you mean!
My sling from finger loop to pocket is about 22 inches. My goal is accuracy  between 25-75 yards, not distance. Yurek and others seem to be interested in distance, so you need a slightly  longer sling.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:12am

And I thought, it has to do with how long your arm is.
My sling is about 28" ( 70 cm)
I have tested longer and shorter, but didnŽt come to any conclusion. I feel, when you want to sling long but with no great accuracy, a longer sling is better.
When you want to control the throw and gain more accuracy, a shorter is better. Therefore I have tested a several slings. But as I can not practice as much as I want to, I havenŽt come to any greater conclusions.
Then, with a longer sling, you also can handle bigger stones. - I think.

/Ulrica..... who donŽt know so much yet.

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:35am

MGreenfield
I also use tennis balls and egg shaped rubber balls. I use these when I'm around the house, bouncing them off the walls(outside of course!). It has improved my accuracy when I use stones. So keep hurling those balls!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:42am

mgreenfield, remember the law for accuracy: the sling from the elbow to the finger  Wink

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:56am

Hondero
What do you mean,"the sling from the elbow to the finger"?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 11:18am

Quote:
Hondero
What do you mean,"the sling from the elbow to the finger"?
Johnny

Johnny,

It has two meanings for me. Both make sense.

1. Lenght
2. The elbow throws first and next forearm and at the end the fingers

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 11:21am

Jurek
Do you mostly sling for distance?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 11:30am

The saying is about the length of the sling, though it may have a meaning how you say in point 2, Yurek.

In spanish the saying is in verse. IŽll try to put it in english for not to forget it Grin :

From the elbow to the finger
is the accuracy weapon of slinger

Ha ha
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2004 at 3:22pm by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 11:31am

I use the "Palestinian kid" setup, with an approx 630deg-of-rotation vertical underhand spin before release.   

By "mushy" (I think) I mean it feels like the pocket is behind where it is supposed to be in the spin circle when I'm doing a throw.   Like I have to work to drag it around.

By "snappy" I mean it feels like the pocket is almost propelling itself around the spin circle, ...like I'm just holding the cords, and the sling itself is doing all the work.   This is very "Zen" I suppose  Cheesy.

A snappy shorter sling even gives me more distance than a mushy longer one.    Certainly tons! better accuracy.   The vertical spin means I've got my problems of lateral accuracy all but solved, and just have to work on vertical accuracy, ....which is coming along OK, ....as long as I use a snappy sling.

Any others have similar "feels" & experiences??    mgreenfield

IP Logged

LBray500
Tiro

Lyman, Ut (USA)
Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 12:17pm

mgreenfield,

As soon as you described it feeling like the "pocket was behind where it is supposed to be" it connected with what I have felt when throwing light weight objects.  My guess is that's the main issue in why it felt different.  Try throwing ping-pong balls and you will see what I mean.  If there is not enought weight in the pocket, it doesn't swing around like it should.  The longer the sling, the more mass you need in the pouch for it's inertia to pull the strings taught and spin like it should.

I have always been much more consistent, both in accuracy and distance with shorter slings.  Distance wise I mean I can throw, say, 400 yards every time with a 35 in. sling.  With a 50 in. sling there are some "buzzers" and poor throws but also some real zingers that take off like rockets.

Larry

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 2:06pm

Larry is correct.  You need enough weight to make the sling work right.  Try some stones in the 4 and 5 oz. range.  I think you will like them all around.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 3:34pm

Johnny,

Latety I mainly throw the snaw-balls for my dog and for accuracy. For these games I use the 37" sling. But I really like throwing for distance very much and when I have got an occasion I do it willingly. I like a power of a sling.

mgreenfield,

It was easier for me to make the draft than explain it. That one is a big simplification, doesn't consider a lot factors (inertial forces related with a mass and acceleration, for example). Anyway, I hope that one shows esence of the matter.

Generally, a shorter sling, easier doing "snappy" throw. I don't use a vertical underhand spin before release, but I suppose that for that technique a limit of sling lenght is smaller than for a horizontal or diagonal release. The socond ways let us to do more spacious throw. To get a good snap (whip) with a long sling it's neccessary to use a bit different way. You must use your etire body for efficient pulling a stone. Of course, a mass of stone and our rapidity are the factors too.

Larry,

Quote:
...400 yards every time with a 35 in. sling...

Wow! It is adorable very very much! I'm curious what projectiles you use, for these shots. Really impressive! Congratulations.

Jurek
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2005 at 6:36pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)