Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Whiffle" Ammo (Read 2249 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
"Whiffle" Ammo
Feb 22nd, 2004 at 6:54pm

Golf has whiffle balls to give users practice w/o having to chase down real balls.   AND these are safe to use in urban areas.     Anybody in the forum invented something similar for slingsters?   I'm looking for:

1/ The "right feel" in the sling
2/ 80-100grams weight
3/ Soft so won't easily mar or break anything it hits
4/ Will fly only 1/4 to 1/2 the distance of a stone

Availability of "practice ammo" could be a big help in increasing the popularity of slinging.   A neophite w 100gram rocks can be pretty dangerous to himself and his surroundings.

I'm thinking of making up some beanbags, but fear they might get pretty big at 100grams, and not have the right feel.   Any suggestions?    Tnx!   mgreenfield

IP Logged

LBray500
Tiro

Lyman, Ut (USA)
Re: "Whiffle" Ammo
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 7:18pm

Over the years I have tried to throw everything I could fit in my pouch.  Eggs, apples, golf balls, baseballs. dirt clods, snowballs, batteries, etc., etc.  The closest I have found to what you describe have been dirt clods or very weakly structured stones that basically disintegrate under the stresses of being thrown.  There is no difference in the  spin-up  or release but what is thrown amounts to a handful of dust or powder.  The problem would be ensuring it would really disintegrate upon release.  Sometimes it holds together and becomes the lethal projectile we are all familiar with.  That would not do at all.  Maybe small (1.5 in diameter) water balloons?

Larry

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 8:11pm

I have used 'Eggercisers', those soft latex rubber, egg-shaped objects sold as stress relievers. They are good for backyard throwing, but not indoors.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 8:54pm

check one of my earlier posts for "yarn balls".

these are great.

Chris also put some pics in the gallery, but my post has instructions.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 10:00pm

Those "Hackie Sacks" kids kick around with their feet work good for throwing against walls or at targets. They don't do damage like stones or lead and they don't bounce a mile away either.

IP Logged

sparticus
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2004 at 2:36am

Actually its funny that you mentioned Golf wiffle balls. 
I just started working on a few.  I made a 1/2 inch cut along the seam of the ball then squeezed it open just enough to place in a weight.  I used lead round balls in one, a small cloth bag of sand in another and a bag of BB's in the last.  Use duct tape to close up the cut.  Now for the outside you can use a small nerf type ball cut in half and hollowed out as a protective outer layer.  Place some tape around it to secure the nerf in place.  Caution if using inside, in my house I have a vacant apartment, the living room is clear of furniture and has paneling all around so I wasn't afraid to try it.  Worked very well.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris)