Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fishing with a sling? (Read 4803 times)
Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Fishing with a sling?
Feb 20th, 2004 at 4:55am

What about fishing with a sling? No, I don't mean to attach a fishhook to the cord Grin I was talking about hitting a fish with a stone.

Foner

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Re: Fishing with a sling?
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 6:32am

Well, my first thought is, that the fish is too fast.
It will be gone as soon as the stone hits the surface.
And, the speed will also increase ( slow down) with the impact... And the fish will have enough time to be gone..

And how to aim... One must relay on the good luck..

No... I can not see any advantange to fishing with a sling......

Unlesss......, you wait until  the fish jumps above the surface.. Some fishes do so...
But then you must be fast and very accurate...
And if you are so lucky to get a fish, you must probably swim out there to get it... Before the sharks come    Wink

I´m sure there is more better ways to fishing then use a sling Smiley

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 8:20pm

Foner:
            I had to laugh when I read this post, but then I reflected back to two times when friends of mine killed fish with rocks. One rock could never have been used in a sling, but the other one definately could have. Both fish were carp. Got me to thinking, there is a time in the late spring when the carp gather together in rafts of thousands in one of the local lakes. They are all together at the surface. One could easly hit and kill one if you could reach them with a good sized stone. The problem is how to retrieve one, and how to keep it from sinking.
           I've killed carp with spears and shot plenty with a bow and arrow, but never tryed to kill one with a sling. No dought it could be done, but I think that it would take quite the investment in time and rocks.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 11:09pm

GrinI think your best chance at getting a fish with a sling is to make a sling with a large mesh pouch and use it as a net Grin

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 12:54am

lol  Grin

I think it would be pretty tough.  An arrow is aerodynamic, so when it hits the water, it travels pretty straight.  I think the rock would make a huge splash and probably veer off course once in the water.  Thats assuming it wouldn't skip or something.  I think David is on the right track...   Tongue

Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy)