Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Finger protection (Read 10512 times)
Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Finger protection
Feb 11th, 2004 at 5:24am

Do you use any glove or other thing to protect your middle finger from getting peeled off when slinging?

Foner

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Finger protection
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 7:40am

I sew a leather sleave around my loop. I braid my slings out of sisal and it is a very course string. If I did not have leather on the loop, my finger would be hamburger meat!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 7:52am

If you are tossing many large stones, you might want to use a sling with a wrist loop instead of a finger loop.

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 8:06am

Well, my middle finger is just recovering from an unfortunate slinging episode that turned it into hambuerguer meat.

Now I use a glove that my brother gave me. He works for a motor company and uses this kind of gloves to clean the outsides of the cars to remove all the dirt accumulated during the making of the car.

The glove is very tight and thin. It doesn't obstruct the handling of the sling.

Foner

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 11:45am

Arrg, sounds nasty.  I've only experienced some abrasion on larger stones.   Use a wrist loop like dan mentioned in those cases.

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 2:54pm

I use one of my gloves for sailing on my right hand--the leather just goes to the first knuckle and leaves the finger tips open. It works great. The hot glue coating I use one my loop even tears at the skin if I sling for too long. Duct tape around the finger works in a pinch also.

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 3:06pm

Sailing gloves are a great solution. Why not permanently attach the sling to the glove!?   Grin

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 3:16pm

I've never had problems with the loop causing any discomfort on my middle finger. I make it out of parachute cord and I sew it in place so it cannot constrict. When I first started making slings I had problems with the knot on the release cord tearing my fingers. Now I use a tab of folded leather to hold onto instead of a knot. Also, both cords of my sling are pinched between my thumb and pointer finger. The loop around my finger is more to keep the sling from flying out of my hand when I release rather than to anchor the weight of the projectile.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 3:18pm

I used the strip of the sticky bandage when I had that problem.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 3:30pm

Attach the sling to the glove? Its kind of hard on the fingers when you get your sling wound up in the winch and can't get the hand out  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 4:06pm

I have had no problems (so far), maybe because my retaining loop is a bowline knot (non-slip) and I keep it fairly static rather than letting it glide around.  This can cause twisting of the two cables, but that is the only side-effect I know of.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 12:15am

Foner
        You might like to try a toggle. There's very littel strain on the fingers, and you can let it go just by opening the hand. Works for me.

WalkingBird

Who slings with a toggle, and likes it.

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 3:42am

The toggle seems a good solution for the finger damage. So, you hold the retaining cord by the toggle? It seems to me that many times the sling will fly away with the stone when you let go.  Does it have a good grasp?

Foner

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 10:25am

Foner
        The way to use a toggle is to learn to release with the thumb only. This is not to difficult. You might release the whole sling once or twice, but after that it will become very natural. And you can always pratice with an empty sling till you get the feel of it. Just make sure that you make the toggle long enough to cross two fingers, and not so long as to hinder the thumb pinch of the release cord. You can view some toggles in the gallery. In use, the toggle is placed across the middle and ring fingers with the retension cord exiting between thoes fingers. and the fingers folded at the first joint, read here not a tight fist.
         I've always used a toggle and realy like it, never have problems of strain on the fingers. You will be suprised at the size rock that you can hurl with one without any pain.  8)
         Anyway good luck, Let me know if you try it.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 1:27pm

Ok, I understand. A very clear explanation. I'll try it and tell you about my experience. Thanks.

Foner

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris)