Send Topic Print
New to forum (Read 5344 times)
adair3
Tiro

Lubbock, TX
New to forum
Feb 9th, 2004 at 5:06pm

Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say how glad I am to find fellow rockchukkers!

My name is Scott Adair and I live in the Texas panhandle.  I have been slinging for at least 20 years off and on.   My biggest problem has been consistient ammo in terms of size and weight.  That is going to change; I just saw the post on using jello molds to cast eggs from concrete Smiley.

Lots of great articles and links on this site.  I somehow do not feel so strange for having carried a sling in my pickup all these years now that I know there are others of like mind and habits out there.

Scott Adair

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: New to forum
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 7:34pm

Welcome, Scott, to our most warm and receptive community.  Ours is a most noble weapon, known from ancient times to be formidable and fun.  We are the proud slingers of the modern,  high powered world.

You are sure to enjoy all you find here, and we encourage you to bring all you know and share it with us.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 7:39pm

Scott
        Welcome to the forum. Good place this. Lots of good info. All manor of interests concerning the sling. I wouldn't feel bad about having carried a sling in my pickup for years. After all, isn't that what pickups are for, carrying what you need where you want to go. I had one in my backpack for as long as I've had one, (about 33 years), and one in my glove box for a long time.  Hope you enjoy being part of the forum.

How's the rocks in the panhandle?

WalkingBird
Who is from SW OK.

IP Logged

BG
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 12:30am

Just want to say Hi to all you fellow rockslingers.  I am BG and live in Vail, Az.  I grew up on Northern CA and made my first sling when I was ten years old back in 1960!  I have been slinging off and on since then.  I too had problems finding consistent ammo, that is until my dad gave me a bunch of his old golf balls.  They aren't quite as dense as a rock, and they are a little on the small side, but if you aren't out to kill anything, who cares?  However, with consistent ammo you can get pretty good with your accuracy.  With my current sling of 30 inches (middle of pouch to end of release chord) I can chuck one nearly 200 yards if I really go all out, but when I do that my accuracy goes down.  I think my optimum range vs. accuracy is around 50 to 75 feet.  Any further than that and the golf ball has a pretty mean slice to it.   I haven't tried taking it out on the golf course to see how I could do, but I think I could probably shoot bogy golf (18) using my sling and a putter.  We might could start a new fad, who knows?  We could call it slinger's golf.  Talk at you later.  BG

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 1:04am

Welcome Scott and BG. 

You've both been slinging longer than I have and I'm sure you have lots to share.  I'm looking forward to your future posts.

Chris

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 7:47am

Bienvenidos Scott and BG,

I just made my first sling a mounth ago and I take it everywhere, just in case I find a pretty stone on the floor and I can make it fly. That's my therapy against stress. Well, I'm sure I can learn a lot from your experience, just as I am learning from the people that already contribute to this site. Finding this site has been a great discovery for me, and I hope it will be so for you too.

Foner

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 3:14pm

Scott and BG,

Welcome!!  Its good to see there is at least one other "old boy" who still enjoys toys Grin

I have made concrete balls using tennis balls as the mold. They weigh 5.8 oz.  It works great and one of these days I am going to break down and buy netting to throw against so I can use them. I found a concrete plant that recycles old concrete. Its an awesome place to sling--look on the Gallery for pictures of it. Tons of ammo!! But, I have three  slings that need mending due to the rough concrete even though I put hot glue on the stitching and cords for protection. OH, and my dumb puppy chewed the retaining loop off my other sling Undecided

Tell us some stories

IP Logged

adair3
Tiro

Lubbock, TX
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 4:11pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Ok, here's a story.

About 6 years ago I hit a dove with a slingstone at about 40 feet.  Here's the catch; the silly thing sat on the wire while I hurled about a dozen stones until one finally knocked out some tail feathers.  Not much of a claim to fame...

Scott Adair

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 8:21pm

Hey Grin

I've written several posts about my slinging at doves. "Harmless as a dove" Now I understand that statement! I too have had as many as 6-8 shots at a dove and they seem to enjoy watching the stones sail by their pee brain heads. I had one stone hit about 12" below one pearched on top of a rock pile. Stones flew all over with the impact and the dumb thing just sat there and watched.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 9:34pm

Scott, welcome to this gang of likeminded rockchuckers.   I got the jello mold & did a set of plaster of paris "eggs".    They come in at almost exactly 80grams each, ....a very nice weight for me, tho a little light for some of the stronger lads who prefer 100-150gram ammo.    Got 'em painted red on one side and white on the other, and plan to do movies to play back in slooo-mo to see just how the ammo spins/tumbles as it leaves the sling-pouch.    Not sure how many sets of eggs I can get out of the mold, cuz it's pretty tuff to open them once the plaster hardens.     mgreenfield

IP Logged

adair3
Tiro

Lubbock, TX
Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 10:45am

Cool,

I was thinking of trying some plaster of paris eggs myself.

Scott

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2004 at 9:23am

hey dos anyone know how to make a wooded cast for lead or any homemade castes i saw a program where thay made a beeswax axehead then wraped it in clay melted it in a fire then used the clay as a mold and another program wher they made a mold from a dead cuttlefish skeliton

listen to old people

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2004 at 1:22pm

I used to work at a foundary. We did mostly lost wax and sand cast molds. I'll try and find some info, but the process is pretty easy. Looks like I need to go get some plaster wax and some lead to explaine it better...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)