Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dyeing Nylon (Read 5649 times)
SnapCut

USA
Dyeing Nylon
Feb 9th, 2004 at 3:44pm

Does anyone here dye the nylon line they use, and if so how?

A SLING IS SO MANY WONDERFUL THINGS

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Re: Dyeing Nylon
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 5:02pm

Nylon, by its very nature, is not easily dyed. You could try boiling it in some RIT fabric dye, but don't expect intense colors. I buy mine precolored. Craft stores carry #18 nylon in many colors. In fact, I bought three different colors today.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 8:04pm

Memphis Net and Twine http://www.memphisnet.net/  carries seine twine in a variety of sizes.  I got some #72 there a while back and made the black and white sling in the gallery section from it.

Their nylon twine can be dyed.  I was told that if the dye calls for salt, to not used iodized salt.  Other than that, I was assured that the nylon would take the color.  It might take the dye less than cotton or other natural fiber, but it should be o.k.  After all, how do they get the dyed stuff in the stores all those nice colors, anyway?

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 4:38pm

Jeff, sometimes solvents are used to assist dyeing. Also, with plastics, pigments can be added to the resin before it enters the filament extruder.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 7:19pm

Yes indeed the dyes are sometimes added to the liquid prior to extrusion.  In the case of many nylon twines, however, they dye them post extrusion.  This can be seen when one uses a twine and the color rubs off, leaving a white twine.  Poor dye job in that case.

Twines are available in so many colors over the counter, it seems a waste of time to dye them yourself.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

SnapCut

USA
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2004 at 11:52am

Quote:
Memphis Net and Twine http://www.memphisnet.net/  carries seine twine in a variety of sizes.  

Thanks JeffH I'll have to check that place out  Smiley
The places I know of I can get green in any size and pink and yellow only in size 18.  The one place says you can order other colors but you have to order a minium of 240 lbs at what could be close to $6.00 a lb  Shocked
OUCH! Way to much.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2004 at 7:27pm by Chris »  

IP Logged

SnapCut

USA
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 12:02pm

Quote:
Memphis Net and Twine http://www.memphisnet.net/  carries seine twine in a variety of sizes.

I just requested a catalog.

Just incase if anybody wonders why some of my replys aren't very fast its because I don't have my own computer.  I have to come into town an use one at my public library and I only get to do that about every other week.

I wish that I could submit photos of my slings.  I can't scan here at the library.  I was thinking of getting one of those new disposable digital cameras where you get a CD with your photos.  Maybe I can use that to get my photos onto the computer (I'll have to check).

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 7:09pm

SnapCut

Today I purchased some 1/8 inch braided nylon to make a sling with. Just for giggles I pulled out some old vinyl dye that was bought from Napa auto parts years ago. The stuff is "ox blood" color. I applyed some to the nylon by dipping it in, giving it some time to set and wiping the excess off. It did a very good job of dying the nylon, I then cut through the piece that was dyed and check for penetration. Seems that even the inside of the nylon "took" the dye. The end color was very pinkish, not really red and certainly not ox blood. If you can find vinyl dye cheap enough this may be a good option, but going for a very dark shade will most likely give the best results.
     It also got me to thinking that the clear PVC cleaner mixed with a rit dye may work also. I believe that the PVC cleaner is mostly acytone. So....getting a quart of acytone and mixing it with rit dye may also work, but I would sure be careful with the stuff, like all chemicals it can be nasty if not handled correctly.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any success.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 7:58pm

RIT dye is aniline dye. Bright colors. I'm not sure it dissolves in acetone. You may have to add a little alcohol first. 

The vinyl dye you speak of is really a thin wash of vinylized paint. I've used it, too. I'd look at making aniline dye work instead. In the long run I think people would be more happy with the results.  Dan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)