Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rotational Speed on Release (Read 2381 times)
Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Rotational Speed on Release
Feb 5th, 2004 at 10:41am

Here's a thought I had for measuring the often cussed and discussed subject of stone spin on release.

Almond-shaped glandes buzz. That buzzing is believed to come from rotation as the two 'wings' of the glandes rotate. Much like one half of an old-time mechanical siren.

If one were to measure the pitch of the buzzing, allowing for doppler effects, and then divide by two (there are two wing pulses per revolution) I think you'd have the rotational speed.

Perhaps a spherical stone can be made to do the same somehow?

comments?

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Rotational Speed on Release
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 11:26am

I made up some 80gram plaster of paris "eggs", painted one side white and one side red.   In the spring/summer, I was going to have my son do a movie of these on launch.   If we can take the movie fast enough, then play it slow enough, we should have a picture of the rotation/tumbling of one glande on launch.     mgreenfield

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 11:41am

And, knowing the movie's frames per second, you might be able to count the stone's rotation. If your camera has a 'slo mo' option use it, it makes the camera run faster and counting easier.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2020 at 2:42pm

a quick thought here
to measure sling speed videoagainst a  back drop  of a mirror with vertical or horizontal lines drawn on it that way you will know the  circle it makes ,then time it against the video speed . should give you the release speeed exactly .

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2020 at 8:11am

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2020 at 1:49am

A lot of modern cellphones can do 240 fps or faster video now. I actually have an old pocket camera that records at up to 1000fps at really low resolution. Maybe I’ll try to capture a tennis ball with it if I can make the time (but it could take a while... I already owe a video on my weighted sling!)

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2020 at 5:43pm

Tennis ball launched with asymmetric pouch: 2,655 RPM (5 rotations over 113 frames at 1000 fps while in view of the camera.
I’ll post 1000 fps video soon.
This is only one throw. Needs more trials, and it would be interesting to try with multiple slings to compare.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - May 19th, 2020 at 7:00pm

A few observations:
1. A tennis ball’s inertia is very different from the rocks Sarosh threw.
2. An asymmetric sling is specifically designed to flop out of the way so the spin rate should be lower than a symmetrical pouch (all else being equal).
3. I was throwing in my yard casually... I could have thrown much harder.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2020 at 8:08pm

Here’s the video

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 3:51pm

I just recorded 2 rotations in 10 frames at 240 frames per second. This is 2880 RPM ± 320.  This was with a rusty ball. So all pretty consistent, around 3000 rpm. Seems to be mostly dependent on the geometry of the projectile/sling combo and how much the sling wraps around the projectile as it releases.

John R.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark)