My newest sling (Read 12464 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
My newest sling
Jan 31st, 2004 at 1:26pm

I just finished plaiting this sling two nights ago.  It is made from wool/acryllic yarn.  Brown and stone colored.  The retention loop is 6 strands over a 2 strand core.  The retention cord is 10 strands over a 6 strand core.  Where it goes thru the pouch, I broke it back into two plaits of 6 over 2. Then back to 10 over 6 for the release cord. So it has a total of 16 strands in the cords.  The cords are nice and stiff, except for one spot in the retention cord where I tried to change the plaiting a bit.  This did not work, so I abandoned it.  Later I realized that it did not pull as tightly as the rest.

In the retention cord you will notice a marked spiraling to the plait.  I don't really know what caused this to be so bad, but it is only in the plaiting, the cord does not twist.  About 2/3 of the way to the end of the retention cord I started doing something right and it sraightened out.  The release cord is much better, though not perfect.

The pouch is leather and made similar to my other pouches.  The sides of the pouch are stitched around the two cords.

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Re: My newest sling
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 2:18pm

Have you tested it? How does it work?

I would like to try to braid me a sling... But I will have to wait until I have more time and until I know how to do it.. 

Nice work!

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 7:44pm

Jeff,

Good job! I pity I can't to braid.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 10:06pm

Well, plaiting (braiding) is actually quite simple.  It takes some care to make it nice, but the principle is simple.  Look on the web for the following words

plait
plaiting
braid
braiding
round plait
round braid

More terms will show up as you search, but these should get you started.  You can also go the the Tandy Leather web site and buy books on whip braiding.  I use the simplest of plaits for my sings.  It looks good and is strong and easy to work with.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 10:56pm

Jeff
   That is truly a nice sling. Makes me think that I aught to try ding something similar now that the weather has turned cold again. Nice work!

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 3:22am

Hallo!

I got some inspiration the other day, and since I have some yarn at home, I braid me a new sling.

I start with three colours,
strings of each colour. 5 Meter long.

Turn them doubble, make a normal 3-braid for my (this time) wrist loop. Then I put all yarns together, and with 9 strings x 4 I braided a 4-braid.

When I came to the pouch, I separate the colours and made three normal 3-braids.

And then again a 4-braid until I reach the length that I wanted. And a knot to finish.

I took some black yarn to stabilisise the pouch a little bit.
So, this is my new one. It turn up little bit too short and I haven´t test it yet. But I will.

Ulrica

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2004 at 2:41pm by Ulrica »  

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 4:12am

By the way, some pages back JeffH explaned very well how to make a 4-braid. That helped me a lot:

Here is a tip:  Take half the strands in each hand.  Lay them flat, one above the other.  This makes an inverted "v" opening toward you, tied or clamped off away from you.  Now, tak the top strand on one side an wrap it around the back (away from you) and bring it through the middle of the strands on other side.  Lay it across the lower strands and back onto the side it originated on, where it becomes the bottom-most strand.  The strands never change sides.  They wrap around the lower half of the strands on the other side and then return to their "home" side as the bottom strand.

Note that I did not number the strands.  That is not important (particularly with only a few). They do need to be in multiples of four, however, for the easiest plaiting. Once you understand this, all the illustrations will begin to make sense.  You are dealing with two flat bundles of strands that end up as a round plait.

//Ulrica

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 8:44am

Nice work, Ulrica! Grin You can wear it as a sash for the 'Peruvian' look.  Impressive braiding, too; I'm still stuck in 3-braid. That's a wrist loop, right?  Does the three strand pocket really hold stones better?

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 8:50am

Thank you, Dan!
Cheesy

A 4-braid is really as easy as a 3-braid.

And yes, I made a wristloop this time, to test it.

I have no idea if a three strand pouch hold the stone better. I just thought it would look nice when I had three colours. And I was a little bit inspired from the pic on the very first page on this site, the one with five strands pouch...
I will found out when I can test it.

// Ulrica .. who like the feeling of the new sling Smiley

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 9:01am

Ulrica,

Nice work.  You are certainly not afraid to try something new.

I think the pouch will work well with larger round stones, especially if the three plaits are stiff.

Keep up the good work.

jeff <><

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 9:04am

I threw some tennis balls with my newest sling (above) a few days ago.  Either I am getting better or stiffer slings work better inherently.  My accuracy was much better, though still not great.

I did not use any of my smaller slings, only the peruvian and my new one.  These are all stiffer.  The feel was totally different that the last time I used my smaller, 4 plait slings.  If nothing else, the larger cords are easier to hold and control.  Plus, they don't twist very much, if any at all.

jeff <><

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 9:20am

Quote:
Ulrica,

Nice work.  You are certainly not afraid to try something new.

I think the pouch will work well with larger round stones, especially if the three plaits are stiff.

Keep up the good work.

jeff <><

Thank you, Jeff!

I want to test so much as I can.. I´m still a newbie Smiley
- More or less. But i learning more and more.

The pouch are not so stiff, but I think it will be alright anyway.
I haven´t so much time so it must go fast to make, that´s why I like this version too. One can make this sling in less then 2 hours.

Nice to hear that your accuracy is getting better and better. This sling I made is also very stiff, so I´m curious how I will sling with it!

Keep on slinging  Grin

Ulrica ... who now will go and eat a "semla" because it is the "semmeldagen" today Smiley

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 10:15am

Jeff,  Do you find the leather pouch to last longer?  I wonder, is there any historical references to slings combining leather and braiding?  Seems obvious from this end of history.

Here is the sling I asked Jim Burdine to braid for me. Someday I'll be able to do this well, someday...

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 10:35am

.......all I can say is, Wow!......         mgreenfield

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 11:00am

yeah, I agree with mgreenfield!

What a beauty!!!
Takes you breath away!

Ulrica

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Chris)