Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rolling Stones (Read 7388 times)
Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Rolling Stones
Jan 29th, 2004 at 5:09pm

Can anybody tell me what should be the adviced weight for the stones in slinging in grams? Do you recommend the rolling stones from the river (they are round and quite heavy)
By the way, what artefact do you use to carry a good amound of stones with you while slinging: a bag or a kind of belt?
Thank you.

By the way again: how come slinging is not an Olimpic Game? Do you think it should be?

Foner valencią

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Rolling Stones
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 5:18pm

Foner,

Moderately heavy stones in the 3 to 5 ounce range that are as round as possible will probably be best for general slinging.

See my post under "My new shepherd's bag" to see a leather bag.  See Whipartist's post about his muslin bag and clay glandes.

By the way, if you are interested, I have a leather shepherd's bag ready to send to you for a reasonable price.  E-mail me if you want more information.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 5:32pm

....1 ounce = 28.35grams, so 5oz = 142grams.     I think I am older, lighter, smaller than most guys on this forum.  I like stones shaped like a rugby ball about 65 to 80grams weight.    My sling is also of very light fishline construction.     Welcome to the forum!  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 5:33pm

Thank you Jeff. I just was hoping you could tell me how many grams is a "ounce".
I just saw the picture of your bag and it's very nice. But when I saw it I thought that having it going over your shoulder may difficult the throw. Shouldn't it be better if you tie it around your waist?

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 5:38pm

Thank you very much Mcgreenfield. That was very helpful. I was thinking of using the stones from the beach (I have it really close here in Valencia, Spain). They are not sharp, but they are flat. So, I would use the stones from the river, that are completly round. I don't know how to get football-like-stones.

Foner valencią

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 6:17pm

......if you have no oranges, you can sling potatoes.  Jurek does, and says they work fine   Grin.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 7:23pm

Quote:
if you have no oranges, you can sling potatoes.  Jurek does, and says they work fine

He he, mgreenfield,

I have alredy tried to sling all kinds of fruits and vegetables. Potatos are not so bad, although I find watermelons or pumpkins are the best for me. I must try with bananas, I hope they will return into the pouch each time, you know, like a boomerang. It would be pretty confortable Cheesy

But seriously, first welcome Foner. I like the stones between 100-150 g. I carry them in the small backpack and take that one off during slinging. We have a lot snow actually, so I have problem to find the good stones, so I tried with the snow-balls, ice-balls, breakstones which I dug out from the snow near the tracks. The breakstones fly scratchily and destruct the sling. Some potatos I really used for warming-up myself before testing my new sling when I had only a few good stones.
I also tested the lead 100 grams projectiles.

Due to winter I feel a lack of good ammo. Today I have formed some balls of wet sand. I'm waiting until tommorow, I will check whether it is good idea.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 10:47pm

Foner,

I don't know that the waist is much better than the shoulder.  The Baeleric men and others of antiquity used the shoulder bag with much success.  That said, the waist might just be better, I don't really know.  A bag laden with stones won't move around so much, though, so I don't think the shoulder bag would be such a problem.

Sorry for the conversion deficit in my post.  I assumed you would have a conversion table handy. I do  Grin Grin Grin  You never know when you will have to convert something.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 5:09am

I“ve just been to the post-office at my work. To the vomans very surprice I weigh my two throwing stones that I carry with me. They weight 95 and 115 gram.
So I also like stones that weigh about 100 gram.

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 4:39pm

Jeff,

If the Balearic foners use the shoulder bag, I just can say "AMEN". I will try to make myself one, and if I don't get a good one I will go to Uncle Jeff's Store. Smiley jejeje.
Thank you

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 7:12pm

Foner,

I can send you measurements that will get you a bag very close to Ben's or mine.  Let me know if you would like them.

uncle jeff <><   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)