Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Never forget (Read 2995 times)
Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Never forget
Jan 27th, 2004 at 5:13am

Recently I read an article about the Spanish war for the Independence from France in 1808-1814 (the war in which the concept of guerrilla was created). And I was surprised when the author says how, because of the lack of an organized Spanish army, even the children fought Napoleon's armies by using slings. When this kids were captured by the French, they were killed by the sword of the invaders.
Isn't this forum and our enthusiasm an honoring for those children?

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Re: Never forget
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 5:34am

Welcome to the Forum, Foner!
I hope you will like it here!

I can only speak for me, and the thoughts that pop up in my head.
We can not forget, that the sling is a weapon, although the reason I began with it was not for killing, but for the fun to see if I can manage it in a good way.

There have been many wars and countless people has been killed throu the times. It hurts me though, that children must be a part of adults madness.  Cry

What I understand this site started to join slingers all over the world to share the interest and ideas. To get inspired and to keep the sling-art alive.

I feel sorry for those Children!
But this is not the right place for honoring someone but the sling itself.
Or am I totally wrong??  Undecided

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 11:35am

Paradox: we, people from different parts of the world, get together here to talk about an activity that has been part of our culture since Ayla's time. We talk basicly from the technical point of view, as you demand. And we do it in exercise of a freedom conquered in part by the use of the sling. By that example I just was trying to express that paradox: we can freely talk about sling because the sling gave us in part that freedom. That's all. Can't we exceed the materialistic level of slinging in this forum?. Then I beg forgiveness

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 11:58am

Hola Foner, mi bienvenida oficial al foro. Muy interesante tu cita, que ya conocía. Creo que no hay ningun francés por aquí, si no igual se pican, ja ja.

And like Ulrica said when she spoke in German with another fellow member, I continue speaking in english for all after greeting a countryman in Spanish. The historical quote of Foner, patriotism aside, is very interesting, because it shows how at the beginning of XIX century, the Spanish boys normally used the sling as a game and something more. The fight against Napoleonic troops was a spontaneous movement of all the population including boys and women. The boys took the rounded stones of the streets pavement - in that times the pavements were in concrete of rounded stones that were seen in surface.Those stones were called ironically “peladillas de arroyo” (something like “confectionery from the river”  Grin). It´s curious that this name was used from several centuries before  and appears in the Quixote when the shepherds broken some teeth to him throwing “peladillas de arroyo”, passage mentioned by Matolay for some days.

Hondero

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 3:17pm

Hello Foner!

I´m from Sweden, and as far as I know, the sling is not a part of our culture as it is for you. I never have seen a real sling until I made one myself, and my first experience with one was from the Aylabook and the movie.  Past the last 1½ week I have been learning more about it, though, but I´m sorry, I can not feel, that I´m a part of that sling-culture of yours just because I just begun with slinging.

It is probably good to be reminded how it once was, and the history of the sling, but still....

But I´m not the right one to have an opinion in this matter.... I´m so new and know so very little about things concerning sling and slinging.. 

I just enjoy playing with my sling...

Ulrica

Quote:
Paradox: we, people from different parts of the world, get together here to talk about an activity that has been part of our culture since Ayla's time. We talk basicly from the technical point of view, as you demand. And we do it in exercise of a freedom conquered in part by the use of the sling. By that example I just was trying to express that paradox: we can freely talk about sling because the sling gave us in part that freedom. That's all. Can't we exceed the materialistic level of slinging in this forum?. Then I beg forgiveness

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 12:49am

It is not so much honoring the children as recognizing them historically.  The sling is often overlooked as a significant weapon of war.  Perhaps this site, and the discussion it has produced, legitimizes their action as a valiant defensive attempt, but not suicidal. 

What you have to keep in perspective is that thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of people have died at the hands of slingers.  These people died for all different causes, and it is not our place to support any of them.  Armed with knowledge gained from our discussions and research allows us to better understand their role in history, and how that has shaped the world.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris)