Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Weave my own? (Read 10096 times)
edro13
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Weave my own?
Jan 26th, 2004 at 12:10am

Anyone know of any plans on making my own sling out of weaved string or yarn or whatever?

I have seen people's weaving blocks, but does anyone have a link to some instructions on making it?

Thanks for any help!

Anyone can buy a sling.. I wanna make one! Cheesy

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Weave my own?
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 12:59pm

I made my first sling this past August using the "20 Steps" to a sling method. Jeff H revised it and it is on this site under  " Articles" I'm not sure if he tells you how to do the braid. I posted a web site that I found to be the best and easiest to follow on how to do different braids. I will find it and tell you where it is.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 1:37pm

On the "General Discussion" page you will see in the upper left corner --Pages 1,2,3...9    go to page 7 and find a topic Here are my slings by Jeff H on Sept 22. On page two of this topic Chris gived the web site uou can click on. go to the home page of the site and find "Knots used" then find the round knot illustration. It is easy to follow. Hope that helps

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 2:26pm

Yes, the 4 stranded plait I use is quite easy, though I don't have an illustration for it.  If you want to do more strands, just keep them even and when you get to 6 or 8 you may want to add a core. 

Whipartist is our resident plaiting expert.  Maybe he could direct you to some easy to learn illustrations.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 9:06pm

Here is the info: great colored illustrations with explainations that make sense.
-------
A braid:
http://www.home.zonnet.nl/willeke_igkt/tables/twist_to_braid_table.html

List of all the knots and braids:
http://home.zonnet.nl/willeke_igkt/frames/homepage_frame_eng.html

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 9:21pm

Edro,

By the way, Jeff's pouch design is great. I've made 6 or more using it. The "ears" really help protect the cords from the stones rubbing at release. I have used hot glue to hold the ears together and they have not let loose on any of the slings. I also put a "dab" of hot glue on the strings on the inside of the pouch. It protects the string from being cut by the sharp concrete I sling. It also makes a great release node. I tie a knot on the end and then put a glob of hot glue on the knot. Then put alot of spit on your thumb and first two fingers, wrap them gently around the glue and spin the cord to round out the glue and form it to the knot. The spit keeps the glue from sticking to and burning your fingers.

There is a picture of one of my earliest slings on the Gallery page.

IP Logged

Travis
Novicius

Northern Colorado
Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 3:10am

Check this out:
http://www.tirdefona.com/catalan/marcocat.htm

It's Balearic, so it's in Catalan, but the pictures do most of the talking, anyway.

Go to Tecnicas, then Confeccio...

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 4:20am

Thank you, Trevis,

That was very nice pictures! I just wish I understood some of the text too.
How many metres cord do you start with?
cinc... is it 5 Metres??

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 4:26am

Ulrica,

You are right: cinc is 5. By the way, I offer myself to translate to english any text in catalan for the diffusion of the slinging knowledge.

Foner

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 9:59am

Quote:
Ulrica,
ou are right: cinc is 5. By the way, I offer myself to translate to english any text in catalan for the diffusion of the slinging knowledge.Foner

Hi Foner!

That would be very nice, yes. Shall we suggest you what we wants you to translate?
It would be nice to understand more of the text to the pictures. "how you make that sling".

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Travis
Novicius

Northern Colorado
Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 3:39pm

Thank you for the offer, Foner.  Actually, you and Hondero occured to me as people who could help with translating.

I can understand a lot of it (studied Latin for four years and am exposed to a lot of Spanish here in Colorado), but some words seemed to be without familiar cognates.  This is my first exposure to Catalan.  I studied linguistics for a while, and am very interested in the way languages evolve and change (specifically, how Latin became so regionalized - the most extremely "morphed" Romance language seems, to me, to be French - the phenomes - like gutteral r's, soft l's, etc. - are so different from standard Italic sounds, like rolled r's, etc.)

What does, "llargada" mean?  I noticed, too, that a leather (pell) protective cover is placed on the pocket (pita) of the sling.  It seems to be stitched on with thread - what kind of thread is specified?

Thank you

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 12:09am

Travis,

Welcome to the site! I think you will enjoy it. I used to live in Durango back in 1973-4. A group of us from S. Carolina go there to backpack every year or so. Its a beautiful state. Next trip, my pack will have several slings in it!!

IP Logged

Travis
Novicius

Northern Colorado
Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 12:33am

Thank you for the welcome.

I've been interested in archery for a while, but have recently become enamored of slings.  I very much enjoy military history, and find the sling to be (as all of you already know) criminally overlooked and grossly underestimated in most historians tomes.

My first sling was made for me by my parents when I was 4.  They dressed me up as David for Halloween, and actually sent me to preschool with this sling.  My mom had made "stones" out of rolled-up pieces of toilet paper covered with tape.  I got into trouble at preschool, because I was slinging my ammo at kids, and when it ran out, I started slinging other (harder!) things.  As I recall, I understood how to use the sling almost immediately, but I hadn't played with one since then.

Apparently, my dad played with slings when he was a little boy in Texas.  The one I got from my parents definitely worked!

Durango's really nice.  I haven't been there in a while, but I like the western slope a lot.  I was born in Denver, but moved to Fort Collins about 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 3:57am

Travis,

Welcome to the site. "Llargada" means length. In the "second step" says that you have to cut up six cords of 5 meters of length.

Ok. "pita" doesn't mean "pocket". Pita is the kind of cord he his using to twist and make the sling. The pita is made of a fibre that we get from a plant called pita or pitera. Its name in english is agave. I think you have plenty of this plant in Colorado.
  Ok, they say in their site: "Amb fil i agulla , cosirem la pell a la zona on s’allotjarà la pedra. Aquesta pell protegirà la pita del desgast" Thant means: "Using thread and needle, we will sew the leather to the zone where the stone will be placed to protect the pita fibre from wear".
   It doesn't say what kind of thread but when we say "fil i agulla" we usually refer to the thread used in clothes' sewing.
   I'm sorry I can't specify more, but I guess you can try with different types of thread and see which one works better.

Foner

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 11:49am

Speaking of fibers, I like to use hemp cord to braid mine. It is a little thin, but it is certainly strong. Look for it in a ball so you can cut the lengths you want.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark)