Brent
Tiro

guns don't kill people,
slings do!

charlotte,NC
Re: Weave my own?
Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 8:00pm

Bondia Foner,
me gusta Catalonia. quisiera pan tomaquet por favor.
haha, I have friends from barcelona.

mammut109  
IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 4:32am

Hey Brent,

I see you know just the right words to order the good stuff. I've lived many years in Barcelona (when I was in University) but I'm from Valencia. Have you heard about it? I think you would enjoy too, specially during the festival of Las Fallas in march. And here you can practice your catalan because we speak it here too.

Pleased to meet you,

Foner

IP Logged

Brent
Tiro

guns don't kill people,
slings do!

charlotte,NC
Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 2:43pm

Nice to meet you to! I only know like two words in catalan Grin I learned them through my catalonian spanish tutor and from a trip to barcalona.I have heard of valencia.
Brent

mammut109  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #18 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 1:35am

Dan, I'd love to get some photos of your slings to put in the gallery.

Chris

IP Logged

Travis
Novicius

Northern Colorado
Reply #19 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 9:10pm

Hi, Foner,

Actually, where I live, Yucca is much easier to find than Agave, though for fiber they're virtually identical.

However, I'd much rather buy hemp (my wife already has a few balls in different sizes for necklace making).  It's very durable, and easily available.  I haven't seen Yucca or Agave fiber available commercially (though my favorite Agave product would be Tequila!)

IP Logged

BG
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 11:09pm

I made my first sling when I was about ten years old back in 1960.  I've been a sling enthusiast ever since.  The best and quickest way to make a sling is to take the webbing out of an old baseball or softball glove for the pouch and use nylong parachute cord for the strings.  You can buy the parachute cord at just about any sporting goods store where they sell camping equipment or you might find it at an army surplus store.  The ideal webbing from the ball glove will not have any holes in it and will have a solid weave or is made from one piece of leather.  I have found the optimum cord length to be around 30 to 36 inches for a full grown person.  To protect the release cords from rock abrasion make sure you pass the nylon cord through the webbing hole that the baseball glove makers use to attach the webbing to the fingers of the glove.  Make your anchor string long enoug to go around your wrist with a slip knot in it.  Adjust the cords so that the pouch hangs level when the release cord is held by a double knot at the end between the your thumb and forefinger and the anchor chord passes through your forefinger and middle finger.  Old golf balls make great and consistent ammo.  I can get about two hunderd yards out of my sling just like the one I told you about.  Have fun.  Cheers  BG

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #21 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 9:25am

Hi BG,
and welcome to the Forum!

Thank you for your advice!

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #22 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 9:31am

Quote:
I made my first sling when I was about ten years old back in 1960.  I've been a sling enthusiast ever since.   BG

Me, too!  Mine was boot lace leather cords and the tonque from one of my father's discarded shoes. Welcome to the board, Dan

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #23 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 8:39am

Hallo.

I´ve been surfing around to find some good instruction of braids. I found a page, that was very interesting:

http://www.stringpage.com/braid/medbraids/medbraids.html

And here I found a nice pic of peruvian-braids:

http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/~makiko/peruvian.html

I haven´t test the braids yet.. But I surtenly will.

Take care and sling carefully.

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #24 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 1:03pm

Great sites!  I've been going to the first one for a while.  I especially like the finger-weaving at the end, but it works better for me if I go from the inside to the outside.  I've got a couple of other sites bookmarked on my home computer as well, but I'm not there now.  I'll try to post them later.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick)