Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sling Stick (not a sling staff) (Read 4753 times)
WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Sling Stick (not a sling staff)
Jan 21st, 2004 at 11:42pm

In the book "Cache Lake Country" by John J. Rowlands there is a reference to a "sling stick" This device looks like an oversizes wooden spoon. The scoop part has a wide thong attached to it at the tip. When a stone is placed into the scoop the thong goes over top of the stone and is drawn tight and held by the thumb on the bottom of the "handle" part. The sling stick is used with and overhand cast, with the arm being extended back over the shoulder and whipped forward with an overhand casting motion. This is the first reference to a sling stick I've ever encountered. The book reports that birch, hickory, ash and maple make a good sling stick, and that pine and spruce are too soft. The sling stick being about two feet long and the handle somewhat smaller than a broom stick. I supose this could be used in places where there is some overhead clearance and little side room to use a standard type sling.
In addition the sling stick is used so that the stick pushes the stone, and not the thong pulling the stone in the cast.

So, now all you slingers have something else to build and play around with. Cheesy

Have fun.  Smiley

WalkingBird

Who likes living in the cyberstone age.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Sling Stick (not a sling staff)
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 12:59am

I have heard of and seen this somewhere before.  It is sort of an atlatl for stones.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 1:08am

Ah, the good old staff sling.  I consider it part of the same weapon group, so the site does cover it.  We've even got an article on it. (It's got movies you can review too)
http://www.slinging.org/8.html

You should check out Mr. Lloyds website on it too.  it's informative:
http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/nikolas.lloyd/weapons/staffsling.html

Chris

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 8:03pm

Jeff,you got it. This thing works just like an atlatl. If I ever get time I may try and put one together and try it out. I'm thinking that if it was made from a fiberglass tent pole, then it would have plenty of "whip" to it. It would be fun to build one and see how it works.

Chris, forgive me that is just my off sense of humor. Kind of like all the bumper stickers you see of people trying to turn their hobbie into a business. Something that never seems to work out, but lots of people believe it will.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Chris)