Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How I started slinging (Read 9016 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
How I started slinging
Jan 18th, 2004 at 11:05pm

Walkingbird, I hope this answers your question:

I am a preacher, after a fashion, among other things.  I am on staff at Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, TN.  Look us up at www.bellevue.org, and come visit us sometime.

I am also a designer and draftsman, having done architecture, landscape architecture, civil engineering, machine/tool/fixture design, taught drafting in school, etc.  I also love to tie knots, shoot all sorts of things, make bows and arrows, reload gun cartridges, read handy technical information (Thomas Glover's "Pocket Ref" goes with me everywhere, just like my Bible), make stuff from leather and wood and so on.  I used to rock-climb and still like to canoe.  In fact, when I get space, I intend to make a stitch and glue solo canoe.

My interest in slings goes back to my boyhood and hearing the story of David and Goliath.  I shot a new fangled high powered slingshot as a boy and always loved it.  I have been shooting guns and bows for years but never knew how to make a good sling.  I love primitive weapons, though, and had been looking at slings on the internet for a few years.  I did not have the mental fortitude to plait a 16 strand sling, so figured that I would just do without.

Christmas of 2002, someone gave me a large supply of leather pieces.  I thought, "wow, I could make a sling pouch with these."  So, I looked on the internet and found the "20 Steps to a sling" among other instructions.  It called for a leather pocket and simple plaited cord (see my article here on slinging.org).  With some help from my father-in-law and some incorrect illustrations from the net, I figured out how to plait and got to it.  It took several tries and some modificaions to the plans, but I finally got a good sling.  (David_T also uses this style of sling, btw.)

So, I have always liked the idea of slinging, but have only been doing so for just over a year.  I love it immensly.  I did not know the Bible text very well until I became a Christian as an adult and actually read it myself.  It struck me as powerful and poignient.  A great story of reliance on God for protection.  Makes for a great signature line on this website as well.

jeff <>< who hopes this satisfies some inquiring minds

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: How I started slinging
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 12:08am

It's always fascinating to read about other peoples interests. 

I have been fascinated in weapons and ancient technology for as long as I can remember.  Guns do interest me, but not nearly as much as a traditional bow or trebuchet.  There's nothing more satisfying than building/making something for yourself.  Growing up in NYC, I missed that opportunity, but I moved to the suburbs eventually and I went wild (tree houses, slings, trebuchets, etc.).  In retrospect, it was great to see both ways of life, and it's shaped who I am for the better.

Chris

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 4:12am

Well since everyone's telling their stories.....

I've always been a rock thrower.  Since a toddler, I used to throw stones with a passion.  

First sling I made was in Sundayschool.  I hardly ever went more than a few times, but one week when I did, it was the right week.  David and Goliath started me out too.  My teacher helped us make slings with yarn, felt, and foam balls.  I must have been 6.  It didn't work well because the balls were feather light, but I thought it was the coolest thing ever! I started making things around 8 years old and have done so down to this day.  I've made so many different things I can't list them here.  I used to go to the library and read every book I could on ancient weapons of all sorts.  I found that "American Boy's Handybook" or whatever it was called that Barak mentioned earlier.  It was cool and inspired me in blowguns, crossbows, and bolas.  I tried making a better sling when I was around 10 but it didn't work well because the cords were made of string that tangled, and I spun the thing around and just released.  I didn't have a place to practice.  I lived in some apartments then.  Now I appreciate having a very big back yard!  

Anyway, I got into slings pretty heavily when I was 14.  That was about 11 years ago now.  I made them with kangaroo leather pouches and boot strings.  I didn't have internet back then, so I didn't know about Peruvian slings or anything like that.  When I learned about them, I wanted to make one.  I first saw one in a Modern Maturity magazine at my Grandpa's house shortly after that time.  It had a Peruvian guy with a sling, but the picture wasn't clear enough for me to see what it was made of.  I just knew it was beautiful!  It looked like leather black and wheat colored leather braids, but it was alpaca wool.  I tried to figure out how to copy it, but no way I could.  Now I can easily.  It was just a simple sling in reversing spiral.

Slings were always a mystery to me.  I wondered what science or technique was hidden that could be rediscoverd that could give one phenomenal accuracy and power.  

A few years ago.  Probably 5 or 6, I met Jesus Vega Hernandez (Hondero), on a primative throwing email list.  He knew his stuff and was very helpful to me with my throwing technique!  Jim Burdine, and a few other guys were on that list back then.  It wasn't too busy and we thought slinging was pretty much a lost art.  I signed my emails, "Long live the sling."  Not anymore with slinging.org.  You guys know the rest of the story.  Soon we will be in the Olympics!  It was back then that I started braiding split cradle slings.  I perfected my design only recently.  I'm serious about the Olympics.  It deserves to be there and in time, maybe we'll get it there.

Ben

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 5:13pm

Well, I´m not even come close to that!

But as some of you has told us about interest and so on....
Here is a piece of my history:
Again these books has had a great influense of my life;
it started with an very simple survivalcourse back in 1989 or so. I also wanted to learn how to survive in the woods like Ayla. Not exactly but as close I could came. Later I get very interested in what you can eat from the nature and last year I dried many different plants around here for thé. I also bought flint stone together with steal to learn how to make fire with "old" tools.
I made my own tinder. And now I´ve started with slinging. And that all because I surfed around Internet to "hunt" information about how to make fire with Flint.
There was a site over many different "old" technics and among them was an interesting part about slinging and bolas and such things. All written in swedish though..
And so I somehow wanted to go on with the theme "slinging".. I just type that word at Altavista and here I´m Smiley
I also would love to learn flintknapping, but here around there are no flint at all. I pick one stone in Denmark some years ago and I "knapp" that stone a week ago and that was also very satisfying, to make a "knife" out of a sherd. But I was just lucky.. Wink That would be very nice to know how to do it real..

Beside all this I love to paint Aquarelle. And at my work I often made gratulations cards and so. But that is not what I´m doing for living. It´s my hobby. It´s just that people find my work nice and more personal than those cards you buy..

For more info you can visit my HP, I hope the link left is working.  There is a english, a swedish and a german version.

Thanks for you interest

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 1:27am

Ulrica,

Wow, that's pretty cool.  I don't know many (any) women with those interests.  That's awesome!  You're really going to be enjoying the slings then!  Awesome.

Ben

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 3:09am

Thanks Ben!

Your story catched me too!

No, I guess I´m not as many women. When I was young ( read a child) I almost just played with the boys in the neighberhood and in school I choose an education that was not so common among girls.. but we were some girls anyway. In my work I have met only two more women that do what I do, and I´ve been working 12 years now. So I guess it´s little bit "boygirl" over me.

And yes, I like slinging already. I can´t await until all this snow will dissapear so I can found some stones to throw!

In early days I also was a girlscout ( but here we are boys and girls together) and turn up to be a patrolleader. I guess my interest for woods and forest and also my love for knots started there.

Oh I could go on telling Wink
So it´s best I stop here.

Ulrica

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 6:03pm

Ulrica,

Well your children are lucky to have such a cool mother.  Yeah you'll really have fun with the stones.  They will go a lot further than the ice. 

A love for knots huh?  I make whips and do a lot of knots myself.  Funny that I haven't done any fancy knots on any of my slings.  I know how, but I'm just lazy. 

If you love knots, then you'd love sling making!  I know you have kids and it's hard to find time, but it's not too difficult to do in the evening while watching a movie.  Since you're an artist, I bet if you wanted to, you could make some beautiful slings!! 

I didn't see your website.  What is the web address?

Ben 

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 6:36pm

It's very interesting to read about various others' ways to the united passion.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 7:13pm

Any other scouts here?  I'm proud to admit I'm an Eagle Scout, although I think the organization is degrading rather rapidly lately.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 3:33am

Quote:
Ulrica,

Well your children are lucky to have such a cool mother.  Yeah you'll really have fun with the stones.  They will go a lot further than the ice.  

A love for knots huh?  I make whips and do a lot of knots myself.  Funny that I haven't done any fancy knots on any of my slings.  I know how, but I'm just lazy.  

If you love knots, then you'd love sling making!  I know you have kids and it's hard to find time, but it's not too difficult to do in the evening while watching a movie.  Since you're an artist, I bet if you wanted to, you could make some beautiful slings!!  

I didn't see your website.  What is the web address?

Ben  

Hallo Ben.
You´ve seen my instant message,or??

Yeah, i think I will really like to be able to make a braided sling of my own. I already "plan" in my head how to make one from what I know today Smiley
I will try to search for a book in swedish about braiding. There must be someone somewhere... The explanations in english are too difficult for me..

There is a "house" under my Photo, links to this text.. klick on that house and I hope you will be entering my homepage.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 11:40am

Ularica, here you can order all the flint and obsidian you could want.

http://www.bowsite2.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=15&Product_ID=2992&CATID=75

their main website is http://www.threeriversarchery.com

They have many resources for making primitive weaponry. It's where I get all my archery supplies.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 11:49am

Thank you, nwmanitou!

Then I only need a teacher. Smiley But isn´t not expensive to order stones from other coutries?

I will have it in mind! Thanx again!

Ulrica

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 1:53pm

They also have videos and books on how to knap.
http://www.bowsite2.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=15&User_ID=666519&st=4524&st2=-899...

I don't think international shipping would be that bad, you'd have to contact the company to find out. I send stuff overseas every now and then and besides taking longer to get there it doesn't cost to much more.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 8:09pm

Jeff
     This post took on a life of it's own before I could get back to you.
     Thanks for the info. and the invite. Did look at the site. Lots of stuff going on. Liked the pix of the mission trip.
     Seems we share several areas of interest I didn't learn to sling because of the story of David, but somehow I learned to make a sling (it must have been from a book) and started slinging. I to became a Christian as an adult, and when I read the story of David had no problem believing that he sunk the stone into the forehead of the giant. A totaly believable account for anyone familiar with the use of the sling.
      I to like things that require aiming. (Why is that?) Slings, slingshots, bows, you name it. My brother and I a few years back built a cannon, about 3/4 scale it shoots 2.75 inch dia. round ball. Takes all day to shoot though, lots of stuff to do, and ya got to have a bigtime safe backstop.
     Always wanted to make a bow from a streight grained board, wanted to shoot a fish with a bow I built, never have though. Life's just too short!
     Anyway, thanks for the info.

WalkingBird

Ask me agout slinging stones for fun and profit.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #14 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 12:58am

O.k., I'll bite,  tell me about slinging stones for fun and profit.

Check out these pages for info on making a board bow.  Also see my post in the other weapons section on the board bow.

http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/buildingbowsfromboards.msnw
http://residents.bowhunting.net/sticknstring/brdbows.html

I had lots of fun building this bow (and the first one, too.)  It shoots great.

I am glad you got to visit our web site.  Come see us some time.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man)