Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How I started slinging (Read 8946 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: How I started slinging
Reply #15 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 4:55pm

I started slinging through a simple love of history.  In particular, the gruesome, violent and weaponry-related bits.  I made a few bows when I was younger, as loads of kids do, but I became very interested in the real mechanics of bows, how they work and how to make them as best possible.  I gradually made better bows.  After I became sufficiently proficient, I decided to broaden my weaponry horizons.  I checked out atlatls, because I had read about Cortez and his adventures in Mexico on the sharp end of the weapon.  I also looked up spears, swords, bolas, and finally slings.  I had dismissed slings as being low powered, idiots' weapons, but I soon came around.  It just seemed to me slightly odd that a stone could do as much damage as a six foot "dart", or an arrow.  But there you go. Such is life.  And now what I really want to do is build something huge and powerful, like a siege engine.  A scorpion, perhaps? lol

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #16 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 7:16pm

I recommend building a trebuchet.  They are great fun and easy to build.  Ripcord's page (once a member, but hasn't been back in a while) is pretty good.

http://www.ripcord.ws/plans/plans.html

Here's a pic of my trebuchet:

Chris

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 9:34am

That sure does look pretty sweet.  easy to build, eh?  Well, I think my parents would disagrre with my plans to build a trebuchet, but I will still give it a shot.  Anyway, I can always say I am gonna use it to protect the environment; a load of builders and property developers are trying to build loads of house in the woods, and clear the whole area.  I think they might change their minds if confronted by a crazy kid, armed to the teeth with weapons, and a trebuchet.  Might work.... Grin

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 1:29am

Hi,  I too enjoy flintknapping.   I think it is THE preeminent primal  art form!  It is kind of like the sculpter who works with chisels...one wrong strike and.....it can be ruined.  Here is a 10 3/4" ceremonial spear point from obsidian.  You can buy the blanks already cleaved to a standard thickness and shave a good chunk of material removal time.  The net is repleat with good learning resource material on how to do it.

Good luck!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 3:47am

Wow, Tech,

That is really nice stuff! thank you for the tip!

right now I unfortenately havenīt got enough time to do everything I want, so I must wait with the flintknapping. But I will test it as soon as I got a chance!

Sling a long

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #20 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 9:26am

....be careful, Ulrica, each tiny flake you remove is also very sharp.    You end up with thousands of little razor-blade pieces to keep contained, then get rid of safely.  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #21 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 10:12am

thank you, mgreenfield,

I made that experience already. I carry such a "flake" wrapped in leather with me in my backpack. Just to have something "from old time" with me. Altough I made me the flake myself by smashing a flintstone.

I promise to be very careful with my flintknapping whenever I can start with it!

/Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #22 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 1:12pm

I started as a kid as well. Now I'm just a bigger kid.  Just recently I started to make slings again for a midevile fair that is comming up in April.  One of my  best friends was gifted one yesterday and she's already hooked (too bad she's gay  Cry   ).  I told her I'd trade sling lessons for juggling lessons.  She was tossing rocks pretty well (in about 10 min.) for one who never handled one.

Anyway I was taught woodland skills when I was about 10 and like to teach others when I can.  The way I see it is "I survive in the city and live in the woods".

I like the site BTW, thanks.
                srgs9

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #23 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 2:25pm

Srgs9,

Welcome Okie. We are snowed in here in South Carolina. A rare occurance. About 6-8" so everything is shut down.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #24 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 1:17am

Welcome srgs9,

Chris

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick)