Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Balearic slinger (Read 11322 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
: Balearic slinger
Reply #30 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 4:49am

Yurek, as I said I´ve used those knots of your lenght adaptation because they were the more elegant and fast solution to the problem of making the pouch, but in effect they have a small problem, and is that after some firings the pressure of the projectile on one of the cords of the pouch cause the slipping of it in the knot and is extended more than the others. The knot works well in the function you use it, with outer traction in relation to the pouch, but not with inner traction. Knotting firmly it can be delayed  the relaxation of one of the cords, but finally it is necessary to correct the lengths and to return to tighten. I have try another type of knots for this solution, without cutting the cord, but as I´m not expert in knots I´ve not found it. I trust in your ability to discover it  Wink

Hondero
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2004 at 4:24pm by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: Balearic slinger
Reply #31 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 11:46pm

I've been playing with these designs, too -- brilliant and inspiring, all!  Here's what I came up with for the cradle:

Makes loops or zig-zags in the middle, like so

<--retention cord

Pouch^

Go back and forth as many times as you like, depending on how many strands you want in the cradle.  Gather the zig-zags up on one end, and use the second half of Yurek's knot, the part that ties the end of the slip-knot, to tie all these loops together.  Do the same on the other end.  I hope this makes sense.  I made one this way and took it out to sling snow balls today, and it worked great!  The knots didn't interfere with the action at all, and with 7 stands, the snowballs stayed nicely seated -- most of the time, anyway.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)