Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Imported Peruvian Slings! (Read 16916 times)
Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Re: Imported Peruvian Slings!
Reply #30 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 8:00pm

GUESS WHAT!

They came this morning!  And they are really cool!  It's a strange feeling having them in my room.  It's weird having 18 slings in my room that I got for $3.50 a piece (plus shipping).  I feel like we're giving whoever made them a good year or something.  It's a blessing living in the places where we live, and being able to spend time slinging rocks for just pleasure.  These things look sooo, organic!  I don't know how else to say it.  I feel like they are pieces of history or something.  Barak is probably laughing at me if he's reading this.  But these things look like they've come out of a village.  Which I guess is true.  The wool used is obviously homespun.  This isn't 4 ply craftstore yarn!  It's basic homemade stuff.  It's bulky looking.  The alpaca have two types of fur I think, and I can see it in the slings.  The colors are obviously natural.  Alpacas come in atleast 20 natural colors I believe.  There may be sheep's wool in these too, mixed in.  I'm not sure.  Oh yeah, and they smell like alpaca Wink

There are atleast two types of braids coming off the cradles.  A diamond pattern on some, and another straight type of braid on some of the others. 

One thing that surprised me is the size.  Most of the slings are bigger than I expected.  You can sling some pretty big stones with these.  A few of the slings are smaller and a few are larger.   

The quality is mixed.  There are a few that are really well made. And about 2/3 or them are pretty nice.  About 1/3 of them are kinda rough. 

Here are pictures to illustrate. 

This one is one of the nicer 2/3rds.  Not the nicest, but nice.

This one is one of the rougher ones. 

Here's a picture of the whole group layed out.

I have more pictures, but these give the best idea.  I think we have possibly 2 or 3 different sling makers here.  Or maybe a father and son team or something.  The quality is of three categories, the size of the finger loops varies considerably between slings.  The braiding patterns vary between slings, and the finishing method for the release cord varies between slings.  I'm not going to thoroughly investigate this but I suspect atleast 2 different sling makers here to account for some of the factors. 

My complaints about some of the lower quality slings are a general bulkiness in the cords, some gaps in the cradle braiding, and/or lack of correct symetry, a weaker or rougher finish on the release cord end, and an oversized finger loop. 

The nicer slings still look homespun, but are more symetrical, tighter, and less rough.  There are a few slings that are exceptionally nice.

You can see in the pictures that there are a few different patterns and colors.  To me, they are all uniquely beautiful.  There is something about them because they are so primative and organic that is just intriguing.   

I'm going to divide the slings up to make sure that those who only receive one sling, will receive a nice enough one to make it worth their while.  But those who receive more than one will receive a mix of some of the nicest with some of the roughest- to kinda even things out for them.  I'll send each of you pictures of what I plan to send you.  Some of these you won't mind using, and some you'll probably want hung on your wall. 

What I'm going to do is write everyone individually at this point with the details of how to pay me, and with the pictures and other information.  Expect an email from Whipartist in your mailbox later today.  If I don't have your email, I'll post on here to ask you to write me.   

Ben

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #31 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 9:07pm

I have everyone's emails except for Mgreenfield's.  Mgreenfield, please email me at Whipartist@aol.com

Ben

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #32 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 9:24pm

Ben,

Exciting huh!! Thanks for the work on getting these slings here. Can't wait to feel it Grin

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #33 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 9:28pm

What is your educated guess about how these will hold up to use? Will the loop and release knots hold pretty well? I will avoid using any rough concrete of course on the one I actually put to use.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #34 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 10:20pm

David,

Braided slings tend to not be as durable as leather and paracord.  But they should last pretty long with smooth stones, if you intend to use them heavily.  They are repairable too.  I think they should be pretty durable and I don't think you'll be afraid to use them. 

As for feeling them.  They feel like the wool is soft, but with rougher elements in it aswell.  The lower quality ones are lumpy.  I don't feel much famous alpaca softness here.  They feel like they've come out of the bush, not the factory. 

We've been talking about aerodynamics here lately.  These aren't.  But they'll be fun to use.  They are larger than what I was originally expecting.  All in all, I think everyone will like the product, but won't go, "OOOhh  Ahhhh." over it.  Not many people own Peruvian slings and these are pretty cool.    

As for the end of the release cord.  Two of the slings had knots on the end.  Most of the others had multiple hitches.  A few transitioned into a simpler braid.  And two were left loose.  I finished those myself.

The Peruvians don't tend to use a release node.  They hold the whole cord in their hand and release like that.  So these slings have their release cords as long as their retention cords.  A few of the slings have very large loops.  These will fit around multiple fingers.  I suspect they aren't very scientific about much, they have more of a Nike philosophy.   

I divided the slings amongst everyone very fairly.  Everyone got a nice sling and I tried to vary the colors and quality in the larger orders to evenly distribute everything out.

Got to get back to writing you guys individually.

Ben

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #35 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 1:29am

Whooppeeeeee!

Ben, expect payment in a few days.  It goes in the mail tomorrow!!!!!!!

Thanks again for having the boldness to be the first (and greatest, I might add) importer of hand made peruvian slings.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #36 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 3:34pm

Wow, these look great!  I can't wait to get mine. 

Great job Ben!  * applauses *

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #37 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 6:43pm

Whoopee Grin Grin Grin they arrived today!

Thanks Ben!! And hey everyone--they actually work!!
It will get a workout this weekend.

What do you all think about them??

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #38 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 7:01pm

Ditto David_T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mine are nice and beautiful and rustic and mine and nice and ...........

They do indeed work and work nicely at that.  Great feel.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #39 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 7:52pm

Another satisfied customer  8)  Ben

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #40 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 10:43pm

Suggestion,

Keep your slings high. I came into our office in the house and I asked my wife why my new sling had a wet end on the release cord. Our 8 month old Golden Retiever smelled the Alpaca wool and my wife turned to see him with both front feet up on the desk and the fuzzy end in his mouth. No damage done--just a bit soggy Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #41 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 12:18am

LOL, I told you they smelled like Alpaca.  The dog knows a good sling when he smells it!

Ben

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #42 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 2:39pm

THEY CAME TODAY!!!!!

Man are they beautiful!  Ben, you did a bang-up job getting them to all of us.  Thanks a lot!

As for durability, I haven't been able to test them yet...it snowed last night - not much, but under the snow is a 1/4 inch layer of solid ice.  But I had my daughter tug on one end, and I tugged on the other.  They held together well!

Rob- one satisfied costumer

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #43 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 3:36pm

My wife asked how I would feel about keeping the alpaca smelling things out side in my workshop. 

She did not find the aroma so friendly.

jeff <><

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #44 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 6:22pm

Glad you like them Rob.  He Jeff, don't let her throw them in the wash, they might shrink or something  Wink  Ben

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)