Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Grips On Sling Cords (Read 12702 times)
WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Re: Grips On Sling Cords
Reply #15 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 7:35pm

I have tryed a wrist loop in the past, but didn't like it very much. I use a toggle on all my slings and it works well for me. The toggle is made from a birch dowel and is long enough to cross over two fingers(at least, could be more). The retension line is either tied on to the toggle with a clove hitch, or if the toggle is nice and fat like 3/8" it can be drilled the retension line passed through it and knotted with an overhand knot. The grip is, the toggle over the first joint of the middle and ring fingers, the retension line exiting between these two fingers, the hand held in a semi fist with only the fingers currled. This is an easy hold not a death grip. The toggle is easy on the fingers; with it you can hurl some big rocks and no real pain.

WalkingBird

Ask me about slinging for fun and profit.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #16 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 4:06am

Oh!
Another way to do it. Sound good, though. I tried with a little batterie ( it just lay there on the table), put my "grip" around it and try to sling.. ( without stone though; I was standing in the kitchen Wink   ) And that also felt okay.
So now I have many different ways of slinging to test.
IŽll be very busy this spring, I guess  Cheesy

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #17 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 1:04am

WalkingBird, tell me about slinging for fun and profit.  lol.

Chris

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #18 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 7:10am

I really like the freedom of a toggle, because it allows you to quickly, unobtrusively and descreetly engage and disengage your retention cord in complete safety.  I also like wrist loops big enough to allow me to slip out of them quiickly in an emergency, like if it got snagged in machinery a la Isadora Duncan Cry, etc.  Has anyone here ever seen the pictures posted around sports gyms and military bases shawing the guy's finger that got stripped to the bone Shocked, and had to be sewn back on after trying to hang on the rim of a basketball goal and dunk the ball?

It was gruesome, and sickening, but it sure made a beleiver out of ME  I don't wear jewelry on the sports field or when working around any sort of machinery anymore!!!  Likewise, it sort of put me off of using finger loops, when I discovered that the wrist loop worked just as well for me after some practice.  This, despite the fact the a middle finger loop was my first  "love",  and that's how I first learned to grip and use the sling properly and effectively.  Finger are pretty fragilke and vulnerable.  I wonder if people took advantage of this in ancient warfare, when the distance closed, and the  slingers were forced to fight hand-to-hand?  (OUCH!) Shocked

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #19 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 7:25am

I forgot to mention that my usual grip is the pinch grip holding both cords between my thumb and forefinger. so I can just release everything as one, and retain the payload in the pouch better until the intended time of release.  I use the smallest retention knot possible to prevent the projectile or cord snagging it.

With practice, I was surprised how fast and hard I could spin the sling, and still maintain complete control over the payload even with a very thin cord, and tiny knot, so long as I was not wearing gloves.  about 4-5 0z is my ideal wieght for a stone or glande/egg sinker, and I don't find that heavier stones that put undue strain on the grip are usually worth the extra sacrifice of safety, control and the sensitivity (which is very possibly the most critical factor in achieving accuracy, power and consistency), to say nothing of velocity, in return for a little extra weight and "smash" factor.

I admit that there are special cases where this doesn't apply (such as with multiple projectiles, etc.), but generally my stones do much more damage to the intended target when they are accurately shot out (with adequate weight, good shape for the intended purpose and a composition consisting of good hardness and toughness) at higher speed, than heavier, slower ones do.  I find that for me, at least, the pinch grip allows me to spin the sling faster without losing the retenion knot and stone to overwhelming centrifugal (outward) pressure.  I can therefore sling a lot farther and harder with it.

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Kick)