Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Headed for Mexico! (Read 6937 times)
WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Headed for Mexico!
Dec 18th, 2003 at 7:56pm

Saturday the 20th I headed for Mexico Grin. Taking a sling with me, hope to find someone que tiro con honda, (that throws with a sling). Gona ask around to see if I can learn something new, find a Mexican sling, etc. Hope to have something to share when I get back  8).

Loved the split pouch woven slings, had to make a split pouch sling, have yet to try it. Have to wait till after the trip.

Been thinking about the "hunting with a sling" question just can't seem to let it go, have some idea that may work. will work on it when I can, and post the results.

WalkingBird

Walk softly and carry good sling.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Headed for Mexico!
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2003 at 1:05am

If you find any cool slings or a guy to demo for you, take some pictures to show us.

Chris

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 4:27pm

Man, have a great trip and good luck with the sling. 

I find that as much as the native people are trying to get in touch with their ancient ancestors, many of them know very little about the great heritage around them. 

But let us know how it goes.

Rob

Hey, I too have had hunting with slings on the brain....it just seems like it should work...

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2004 at 12:25am

Returned from Mexico last Saturday. Had a good trip 8). I talked with some people down in San Louis Potosi, and they know what a sling was, but no one had used one. Cry I ended up showing a friend how to use the sling and giving it to him. (lesson learned....don't show someone how to use a sling if you only have one with you.) Well, it's nice to be able to share info. with people, but hated not to be able to find a slinger and some slings for sale. So far I'm down one sling, the only one I had with me so the story gets worse. Here's a pix of a rock typical of that area, and there's lots of them there.

These rocks are hard, dense, heavy and roundish, and to be found all over the place! Go figure! The perfect place and no slings, me I got slings, and the rocks are few and not too good for slinging. Here is a pix of the area where we stoped to cut some wood for a friends mom. Can you see any good sling stones here?

I had to carry a water bottle around so I wouldn't die of dehydration, I liked to druel to death. This place is a slingers heaven, and I had no sling! I hate it when that happens. So it ain't looking good for the home team. I gave one sling away and promised to send a friend another. sure hope I'm planting seed, because next time I go back I plan on slinging some stones, yah!

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2004 at 8:45am

WalkingBird,

Good pictures! I understand what you felt without the sling at the such beautiful places! I probably would sacrifice my shoes and make the sling of them in this situation Wink

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2004 at 12:35pm

Grin A couple years ago I hiked the Grand Staircase in Utah with my brother.  Standing on the canyon rim we he had the uncontrollable urge to throw a rock, but no sling...  I sacrificed a shoelace on my hiking boots and improvised a cradle out of duct tape I had wrapped around my nalgene bottle for emergencies (and this definitely qualified).  Worked really well. 

The Mexico pictures are great!  I'm surprised the rocks are smooth though.  The photo looks like New Mexico and there isn't a smooth rock in the State.  Must be ancient river wash or something.

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 8:08pm

Man,

That's a nice rock!  I wish we had rocks like that around here!  I wonder if it gets better further south or something.  I hereby designate Barak as our international authority on where to find the best slingstones in the world. 

Ben

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 9:42pm

Wouldn't it be great if all rocks were like that one!

Hey Barak, you ever been to Durango Colorado? I used to live there in the late 70's. Awesome hiking!! We skipped a year last year but the two previous years 6-8 of use from South Carolina went out there to do a 50 mile hikes and some non-technical rock climbing and repelling. Hope to return this August. Any slingers want to come?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 9:53pm

Just me, even via "FEDEX" Wink

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2004 at 11:18pm

Here is the rest of the story on this place. Justbarak you are correct this place is an old river bed that has been worked for gravel. (Read here MOST of the stones have been hauled off.) But this is not why the stones are roundish. Fact is the strata here is full of stones of various sizes, most of which make good sling stones. The strata is some limestone, some soft crumbly limey stuff not hard enough to be stone and to hard to be soil. Anyway, the stones are inclusions in the strata and are found there very round. When the river does wash them they are a blueish color instead of the yellowish white.

As the strata washes away it leaves the stones on the surface of the ground, everywhere. Check out this picture. it's the old cut bank of the river, (there's no water in it anymore)

Looking close you will see the vast amount of stones in the strata, and they come streight out of the ground roundish. Where ever you walk in them thar hill theres sling stones are to be found aplenty.This apears to be the case throughout the Sierra Madre Oriental in the states of San Louis Potosi and Tamaulipas, (both places where I went the strata was the same.

Anyone want to go on  a slinging expedition? We would need a couple dozen Geroge the Romans, extra slings, and some sports cream for sore arms. Grin

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 12:55am

Oh how my heart and hands pine for such stones
Stones of geologic perfection rounded the way God intended
At the mercy of moving water, tumbled til neither edge nor point remain
To be found one lonesome day by a wandering slingman,
Who, driven by his nature, must sling them with joy that only comes from such a noble act.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 3:36pm

Bravo!

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 5:39pm

Dude Jeff, you're getting all poetical soundin.  Makin me break down into manly sobs. 

Ben, who recommends the Gladiator soundtrack, for anyone who broke down into manly sobs at what Jeff said.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 3:24am

The Braveheart sound track gives a similar feeling.

If you want to feel sad, listen to some of the American Beauty Scores in a constant loop.  I did that a few weeks ago, and I almost went insane.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #14 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 4:26pm

Guys, if that made you sob, you should hear me preach!   Grin

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick)