Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help (Read 9742 times)
nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Re: Help
Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2003 at 8:20am

Um, well usually I try to find rocks about the size of an egg. They seem to be a good balance of weight and control. For the sign and Door, I was using the heaviest rocks I could control.  My sling is only about 24inches long (end of chord to pouch). I 've found it's a bit easier to aim it when it's shorter.  The doctor that knew a bit about slings took me to the driving range to show me a new way to sling. I used to sling by spinning it around my head then releasing it. He showed me more of an overhand method, which, in my humble opinion is much better. It's remarkably efficient and allows you to use your whole body to sling as though you were pitching a baseball.  My friends and I used to throw tennis balls at each other, that was fun until I nailed him in the chest. It looked like he got a hickey from a walrus. The movement is a little tricky and takes some practice. Quite a few of my friends hit themselves in the groin while trying to learn this throw. If I remember correctly, I was getting about 150 yrds with a golfball. At that time though I was just learning this new hurl, but I'm much better at it now.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2003 at 6:22pm

Could you explain in detail your style of slinging please. It sounds as though it could be similar to mine.
I use the leg and body motion of a baseball pitcher--left leg comes back, body twists to the right then the left leg steps forward toward the target. I don't use any rotation just one rotation into an overhand  release.

David T

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2003 at 7:29pm

I didn't ever make such destructive tests, but I saw often a violence of stones on trees, the brick wall. I believe that a sling can make the destruction described by nwmanitou. We can imagine the effect of a strong hammer hit, however a sling can provide much more energy, especially with a havy stone. Nwmanitou uses the stones about the size of an egg, I estimate theirweight at ca. 8 oz. Imagine the 8 oz. hammer with the 24" shaft which bangs into the plywod or into the sheet metal, with an violent impetus of all body. We must consider that probably there is easier to pierce two 1" old plywoods with some distance between them than 2" solid one.

nwmanitou,

I'm curious what is your and the doctor way of slinging. Could you describe it in detail? What is that trick?

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #18 - Dec 20th, 2003 at 2:52am

Well, it's a little complicated. When I first saw the throw it blew my mind how fast it was. It is one continuous movement. There is no noticable awkward wind up. It takes place within one stride, like a baseball pitch.

I'm going to borrow my friends video camera and see if I can get a little movie clip of the throw.  But until then. I'll try and describe it.

You start with the pouch being held out with your left hand, both arms extended in front of you. Then you let the pouch drop, as you begin to take a step forward with your left foot. The pouch and your right arm swing down parrallel to your right leg, then by using your wrist and swing away from your body then up to make a rotation behind your back. At the bottom of the rotation your right arm is extended behind you as if you were just about to throw a base ball and the sling is straight back, taut, and already moving, then with all your force you go into an overhand throw and send the rock humming as you shift all your weight to your left leg. The power behind this throw is that when you are ready to put all your strength into the hurl the sling is already pulled tight behind you and moving.  Also, because you don't have to time the rotations, or "wind up", it's easy to control the vector at which the sling is brought over your shoulder in the throw. You can do everything from straight over hand to side arm, thus improving your accuracy.

It took several slow motion demonstrations for me to be able to understand the throw due to how fluid it is. I'm going to make a quicktime video of it so it's easy to watch it frame by frame. Not sure when though, I just finished my last final today so I'm thinking I want to sleep for a week or two before the next semester starts up.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #19 - Dec 20th, 2003 at 2:53am

OH yeah... David T. sorry about this, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #20 - Dec 20th, 2003 at 3:53pm

Hey there NW,

Go to page 2 on this forum and look at the pictures and descriptions under "More Pics" My son is using an underhand release but the wind-up is the same for the overhand. This sounds like what you described except for the part where you let the pouch dropdown. We hold on to it and swing it down(holding onto it) and then swing it up and release it into the behind the head and back. Is trhis similar to yours? I agree that this gives me more control by having less movement.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #21 - Dec 20th, 2003 at 5:49pm

It's almost the swing, though it's missing a rotation and is upside down compared to the one I'm doing.  But the concept's the same. I remember how hard it was to time the rotations over my head to know when to let go to keep the rock straight. I'm gonna see if I can at least get ahold of a camcorder today. I'll try and get a video of it.

Again, I'm just amazed that I'm not the only one with an interest in these things. I've carried one in my pocket for years and have only met one other person, beside my cousin, who knew what they were and how to use them. That doctor friend of mine says that the Slingers in Alexanders army could out distance the archers. For their simplicity they are remarkably powerful.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #22 - Dec 20th, 2003 at 10:22pm

NW,

MY son has a digital camera that can record video as well. I need to video some of our slinging as well. I will be waiting to see yours.

I also read an account from a Greek historian telling of a Greek general noting that his slingers were out distancing the Persian archers who were known as the best of their time period.
An amazing weapon---I'm hooked!  Today I slung a golf ball size chunk of concrete right through one side of a plastic  5 gallon drywall mud bucket.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)