Smooth Stones (Read 3540 times)
David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Smooth Stones
Dec 6th, 2003 at 3:46pm

I came to appreciate the passage that says David chose "smooth stones" I Samuel 17!

I usually sling rough, jagged, concrete of all sizes and shapes. Well, today I came across two ping-pong ball size, smooth, round river rocks.WOW!!! We know they are more areodynamic but to sling one after concrete! Man did they fly straight and fast. It made me want to go home and order a dump-truck load. Can't wait till I break down and buy that golf netting so I can make uniform ammo.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Smooth Stones
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2003 at 9:00pm

I remember really feeling the difference too.  Those rough or irregular surfaces really throws off the aerodynamics.

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Smooth Stones
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2003 at 9:18pm

Ditto that on both parts!

Those smooth, mostly round stones sure do throw nicely.

Even when they are fairly out of round, the smoothness helps considerably.  They all spin, however, and the more out of round the more noise they make regardless of smoothness.

I would love to have a truck load of those concrete balls David T made.  Intend to make a bunch some day.

At Wal-mart today, I found a canister of 20, small tennis balls.  Novelty type stuff.  Larger than a ping-pong ball, but not much.  Would probably make 1 1/2 ounce or so balls.  The canister was $5.  Maybe I should have bought some, eh?

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris)