Lead glandes molds (Read 13166 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Lead glandes molds
Dec 6th, 2003 at 11:15am

Memphis Net and Twine carries molds for lead fishing sinker.  They have a variety including [canon] ball and egg sinkers.  They also have finished sinkers on the same page as the molds.  This is the mold and sinker page. They have several sizes including the 3 to 6 ounce we seem to prefer.
http://www.memphisnet.net/10/FishCatalog/LeadMoldingEqpt.html

This is the home page if you are interested:
http://www.memphisnet.net/

They carry all the other equipment you will need for molding as well, like the melting pots.

Jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Lead glandes molds
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2003 at 11:24am

Before anyone asks:

The hole through the middle of the egg sinkers will not have a deleterious effect on flight.  In fact this longitudinal hole was tried on bullets in the past and found to have no positive effect so it was not used.  But it did not cause problems of note either.

So,  a 4 ounce lead egg might just make for a very nice glande, eh?

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2003 at 2:29pm

I was just going to ask about what was needed to mold glandes and where to get bulk lead, how to melt.... This info will help.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2003 at 8:50pm

Lead is available is a variety of places.  Look for hunting/reloading supply places on the web or locally in your town. It generally comes in ingots.  You might try finding some fishing weights on sale and remelting them. Also, you could try to come by some old, used wheel weights.  They are fairly soft and should melt at lower temps.  Put them in the melting pot and pull out the steel clips when melted.

Two things here.  First, always remember to ventilate your work area well when working with lead and don't touch it if you can help it.  If hot it will burn you and is more likely to poison you as well.  The vapors or liquid will get you quicker.  You might consider painting or coating them in some way also.

Second, let the lead out of the mold while still hot but just after it stiffens up.  Drop it right into a bucket of cold water.  This will harden it up some so the glandes don't deform against each other in your pouch.  This hardening technique will take a bit of practice, but you should get the hang of it pretty quickly.

jeff <><

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2003 at 2:26pm

Jeff,

Thanks for that input! I have never molded lead before. By the way, how do you clean out the melting pot after using it? Does the lead just harden and pop off?

I saw some pics on this site of a wooden mold. Does it last very long? Could you make 50, 100, 200 batches with the same mold?

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2003 at 2:40pm

David,

As for the lead coming out of the pot, it should come out pretty easily if the pot remains smooth.  So don't scratch it.  Check out as many web resources as you can.  There should be plenty of info on lead casting to answer all your questions.

My personal experience is actually quite limited.  I know more than I have done.  Having hand loaded for guns, I have come across tons of info that I have not yet put into practice.

I quickly learned that I liked to shoot at velocities much higher than were practical with lead.  In handguns it is marginal at best unless handled right:  gas checks, hard cast bullets and lower velocities.  In rifles lead is a joke.  Somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 fps it melts in the bore from friction and the burning powder and bullets can literally disintegrate and become spray as they leave the barrell.

jeff <><

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2003 at 4:53pm

That reminds me of a guy I know. I believe he had a Ruger Red Hawk 44mag handgun or something. He loaded his own rounds to make them really hot. About evey other shot you would "double shot" because the recoil made you pull the trigger again Shocked

He video taped himself showing off his gun as he shot a small tree in two. Of course the tree almost falls on top of the people watching, and as they are running away, the tree hits his porch roof.

His 10 year old son kept bugging him to shoot it so he put just one round in for safety. The kid learned a lesson. He came to church that evening with a bandage between his eyes where the gun came back on recoil and nailed him Shocked Boys and their toys.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2003 at 7:05pm

At the velocities your friend is shooting, lead would fill the grooves in the bore and foul things up pretty badly.  This actually increases pressure because of the resistance to the bullets.

He is probably uses jacketed bullets, of course, but some folks use lead at those vels. anyway.

jeff <><

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2003 at 1:11am

Gun's are cool, but I'm happy with my sling and bow.  You can't beat the thrill of shooting, but the satisfaction of a good sling is unbeatable.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2003 at 9:38pm

Agreed, Chris, slinging is mighty satisfactory.

I love almost any activity which involves throwing things though.  And shooting is really fun.

jeff <><

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2003 at 11:47pm

I'll second or third that. And those chunks of concrete are just a bit cheaper than gun ammo!!

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 9:03am

There is a picture on this site somewhere of what looks to be an oak board mold for making lead glandes.

Does anyone know who made it? If I were to router out two halves and make a football shape mold, does anyone know how long it would last or how I would use it to make glands?

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 11:16am

I've always wondered if Plaster of Paris would stand up to the heat, if so, it would be cheap and easy to make.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #13 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 3:14pm

David,

I used the plaster two-piece mold and a the plasticine (and a modelling paste lately) patterns. It is cheap, easy and exact enough.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #14 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 6:21pm

Come to think of it, I wonder if Plater Of Paris would make great glandes? It seems heavy enough. Of course it would just powder if it hit something hard enough.  but hey, I've always wanted to see how one of those would fly.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)