Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How I used my sling this week... (Read 2095 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
How I used my sling this week...
Dec 5th, 2003 at 5:33pm

I went to a two day seminar/training course on presentation skills.  It started at 9 a.m. in a city 4 hours away on Wed.  On Tues. afternoon, just one hour before departure, I learned that I had to have  3 to 5 minute talk prepared.   Uh-Oh!! Big problem.  No talk, no time.  So, I grabbed a couple of my slings on the way out the door.

Well, I figured that I would be required to give my talk near the end of the two days and was not worried at all.  I could easily come up with something to say about the sling in a couple of days.  Boy was I wrong.  I had to give the talk immediately when we got started on the first day.  I ended up doing something else instead, but it worked out great.  My topic was a bit serious which helped later.

We ended up having to speak 4 times in two days.  1, 2 and 4 were on the original topic.  But for #3 we were given the task of speaking impromptu on something we personally enjoyed doing.

This was great.  No one knew about my slings, so I slipped my short one into my pocket.  I began talking about how as a boy I loved to throw things and how as an adult I began to make things to throw other things with, like bows and a potato gun.  Then I said that this last year I learned to make slings.  And at this I pulled the sling from my pocket and demonstrated its use.

It was fabulous!  Everyone was absolutely amazed (mostly that I was carrying a sling in my pocket, but amazed nonetheless!)  None of them had ever seen a sling and the effect of one suddenly appearing was great.  They also learned a little about the sling.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: How I used my sling this week...
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2003 at 5:46pm

Great plug! 

When I used to sling in the park or if it was attached to my backpack, people would come up to me and ask about it, especially for a demo.  People are really fascinated because it's just such a uniquely simple weapon.  Plus, having run this site and read quite a bit about it, I could discuss a lot of the history as well. 

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: How I used my sling this week...
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2003 at 9:42pm

Jeff,

The sling certainly is an attention getter isn't it? Did you sling one of your soft fuzzy balls over their heads?   Shocked That would get their attention!

I know everyone that watches us sling, is amazed at the power and distance that you can get from just an easy sling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man)