Sling Awareness (Read 1725 times)
David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Sling Awareness
Dec 5th, 2003 at 1:39am

I have been thinking about something. What do you all think?

We have a lot of Gun and Knife Shows down here in South Carolina and I have been thinking about making some slings and setting up a netted area at the show to demonstrate the sling. I doubt I would have the time but it is a thought. There could be articles I would have printed up with the history... I could show what a lead glande can do to a piece of plywood...Have some video of slinging at targets, show how far you can throw a brick...

We could even start a slinging club to meet once a month or so and start spreading the sling craze???

Just thoughts---probably for someone else who may have some spare time??

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Sling Awareness
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2003 at 3:34am

I think you need to pay to set up inside those conventions.  Promoting slinging is a great thing, one of the main reasons I set up this site in fact.  I've always contemplated how to do it, but with such limited numbers of enthusiasts, it's very hard.  The t-shirts would be great publicity, and hopefully that will pull through.  Otherwise, I'm all out of ideas.  Newsletters and the like are to hard to put together.  Besides, the site is acting as the main informational source and the articles section is still pretty sparse. 

I'd love to hear ideas from people.

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Sling Awareness
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2003 at 11:03am

Once at a 3-D bow shoot I saw a guy with a rather interesting set up:

He set up some hay bales for a back stop first.  He then took one of those shop vacs that can also blow and set it to blow.  The hose was layed along the ground and turned straight up a few feet from the backstop, and tied to a stick so it stayed there.  He placed a ping pong ball on the mouth of the hose and turned the vac on.  This lifted the ball on a column of air.

Then let folks shoot at the ball for $1 per shot!

David, you could set up something eye-catching and demonstrate the sling.  Maybe a quiet gong built into the body of a new roman soldier or the like.  I don't suggest letting other people throw because they might hurt someone else.  However, you and the lad could easily do demonstrations which would surely draw a crowd.

Make up a enough slings to sell and cover the cost of the booth and this might just be a lot of fun.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15)