Send Topic Print
Sling pix (Read 6863 times)
WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Sling pix
Dec 3rd, 2003 at 12:35am

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Just finished a quick update to my web page; posted pix of a few slings. The web page is a first attempt so its far from professional. Anyway if you care to view it the URL is http://myweb.cableone.net/gadkg/

I loved the gallery, some of the work was excellent for cool! But I was suprised not to see any toggles. I can't remember how I first learned to make a sling it was so long ago, (I'm thinking that it must have been from a library book.) but never have used finger loops. I tried a wrist loop, but really did not like the feel or the results. So I went to a toggle and never tried anything else. The toggle is just to easy on the hand to change up. I've got to say that the woven slings look SOOOOO nice! Cheesy

David T. loved that "George the Roman". You've got a good place for chunking rocks.  Cheesy   Ware him out!!!

Ben, Chris, Jeff, Jurek  thanks again for the welcome, I still find it hard to believe there is enough interest in slings for a forum.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Re: Sling pix
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2003 at 9:56am

WalkingBird,

Thanks, great job! I really like your toggle. I think it give the reliable grip and evenly burden the fingers. There is only the one fault for me, we must remember to keep them durring the release, but I think it wouldn't be a big problem after some practice.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2003 at 6:46pm

A toggle is a good idea, I just have gotten used to the finger-loop-feel.  A toggle would actually do better at distributing the force on your fingers.  One bonus of the finger loop, is that you can't loose the sling (unless you lose your finger with it).  I've heard stories a few times now about people's slings sailing into the woods or middle of a lake.  Tongue

There is plenty of interest in this weapon.  The forum's usage seems to go in cycles, but there were days with 20+ posts only a couple months ago.

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2003 at 10:52am

Very nice slings, Walkingbird.

Keep up the nice work.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2003 at 8:17pm

To be sure, I like the toggle. There is no dought that for someone who is new to slinging that letting go of the whole sling can be a problem. I have shown some friends how to throw with one and about half of them will let go of the sling a time or two, after that it's generaly not a problem, as it is easy to use. Still in all I'd hate for someone to throw my sling in a LAKE! UGGH!.  Angry  I should make a finger loop sling just to give it a try.  CheesyFor sure, I did not like a wrist strap, but a finger loop must be much better. Cheesy Using a toggle the retension thong exits the hand between the ring and middle finger the fingers being folded at the first joint. At least that is the way I have done it. There is very littel stress on the fingers and one can chunk some fairly large rocks. I've never broken one, even using 1/4" dowel. When I was a kid I always made the toggle from a small diameter branch from a choke cherry tree. They are strong, streight, and easy to peal the bark. So, how does one make a good finger loop? Please help

Me thinks I like this place! Grin

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2003 at 9:36pm

WalkingBird

I expect the hibrid solution would be good: the toggle for you and the thumb insurance loop behind (for someone who could throw your sling out into the lake Wink).

I like the leather loop, you can see that in the gallery. I put them onto the thumb, and the cord runs between the the ring and middle finger. So my fingers are free.

Jurek, who just impatiently dry his first experimental mold for the glandes.

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2003 at 9:45pm

Are they clay glandes or lead? How long-- how heavy?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2003 at 9:49pm

David,

Lead, about 100 g heavy.

Jurek

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark)