Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'Modern' Staff Slings (Read 1654 times)
WAGNER95696
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

'Modern' Staff Slings
Nov 23rd, 2003 at 4:18am

Has anyone tried making a staff sling using a staff fiberglas or other modern composite? There are distance casting contests for fishing rods and, I believe, distances of more than 800 feet have been achieved with weights of 6-12 ounces. When one considers it a surf rod is just a "self retrieving" staff sling.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2004 at 3:45pm by Chris »  

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: 'MODERN' STAFF SLINGS
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2003 at 12:45pm

Staff slings could be made of a composite material.  I think people generally make it out of wood because it's what they have available.  A staff sling could reach distances of 800 feet, and probably beyond.  I imagine a half pound projectile being used.  A regular sling can exceed 1000 feet.

Making it out of composite materials would decrease the force needed because you'd normally be accelerating the bulk of the staff too.  I think in fishing though, the keep it light because you're always holding it in front of you.  If it was really heavy, you'd get tired quickly.  Also, it needs to be very strong to reel in fish.

I've never heard of a flexible staff sling.  People achieving 800 casts with fishing rods are using a whipping effect.  This is replicated with the sling at the end of the non-flexable staff.

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2003 at 2:44pm

At your local Lowe's or other large hardware store you can get one of those yellow light changing poles.  They are around an inch in diameter and made of fiberglass.  They are fairly stiff due to diameter alone, but would work nicely because of the light weight.   They come in different lengths and some are even telescoping.

A modified surf rod would probably work also.  Just cut it down to a useable length.  It should still have some flex, especially with an 8 oz weight.

jeff <><
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2003 at 4:02pm by JeffH »  

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 12:14am

Has anyone tried launching their ammo: spherical, glandes shaped, or mini finned glandes by mounting them coaxially on a flexible rod? Similar to an apple launched from a sapling.

The patent office is full of contraptions like this. Some of the missiles are tubular and some are mounted to magnets. Some even have coaxial release mechanisms and built in spin generators.

You can use the “Alterna” tiff reader available through the U.S. patent website. This facility works like a charm.

Thomas

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 12:26pm

I've thought about this before, but never tried it.  If 800 ft. can be reached by lure with a line attached to it, which creates lots of drag and friction, think of what would happen without that line attached. Shocked

solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: 'Modern' Staff Slings
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 6:29pm

I think that cold steel make a flexable rod that is used on snakes. I wonder if the cold steel stick could work. I don't remember how long the stick it but it was very flexable. Any one else no what I am talking about? ???

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 11:00am

I have no idea. Wink Grin

solobo88  
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2004 at 11:26am

Cold steel 'sjambok'.  It might work if you cut off the last 3rd (too whippy), but you could probably find better materials.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)