Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rabbit Sticks (Read 5467 times)
ehkahk
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rabbit Sticks
Nov 19th, 2003 at 12:38am

Anyone use a rabbit stick for hunting or just for fun?

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Rabbit Sticks
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2003 at 4:35pm

What are rabbit sticks??

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2003 at 6:59pm

Yes, please do explain.

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2003 at 7:34pm

Oh,  yes, do tell, do tell. 

Oh, the suspense.  The suspense is killing me.

Now, a bit more seriously.  My wife used to catch mice with a stick and a box.  We lived in a small house way out in the country and got the occasional mouse.  She hates them and had her fill when one ran across the kitchen while she was fixing supper one night.  So, the decided to rid the house of them.  She propped a box up on a short stick (actually a pencil stub) with a string attached, put some peanut butter on a cracker underneath and sat back and waited.  She caught several that way.  In fact, she got rid of the problem and they never came back.

Her box worked sort of like a dead fall, but she operated it manually rather than the prey tripping the trigger.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2003 at 12:24am

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

ehkahk
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2004 at 1:57pm

I havent been here in a while heh.

Their a north american version of a boomerang, you throw'em like you would a boomerang and they skim the ground and whack the rabbit/squirrel etc so you can eat'em lol. Ive been playing around with one for a while now that I made, lots of fun. If only I had a hunting license.....

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 8:53am

I think that the rabbit stick used by the western tribes is a North American version of a boomerang, but the rabbit stick my tribe (the "Oklahoma", or "Choctaw" tribe) used, and still uses sometimes, is just a stick with the long handle shaved "like on a lathe" to lkook like an old German "potato masher" hand grenade shape.  It is thrown hard and fast at rabbits and squirrels and the like to stun them or disable or kill them for dinner!

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 1:25pm

According to the article on the website quoted above, the rabbit stick is best when curved.  Supposedly a native American boomerang, the rabbit stick shape is in fact identical to the real Australian hunting boomerang, as in, not the returning type.  I have started reading a book on the aborigines of Arnhemland in Australia, who use a curved throwing stick for taking down all kinds of prey; it is very thin, except near the head, where it widens slightly, and so it minimises air resistance, is not heavy, and is easy to use.  I have made a simple design, (as you may be able to tell, wood carving is a hobby) and it works very well; the stick had more power than it looked.  It fact, I was using a normal archery target, and the stick became stuck for a little while in the bale.  It was very far in, and that was at some range.  Ergo, these sticks are not to be taken lightly; I believe that they could kill something quite big, or at the very least stun it. 
The ancient egyptian also used throwing sticks, sometimes in battle, although not often, for it requires skilled soldiers to use effectively, and is not good through armour.  Can someone please tell me how to put images on this forum?  I have a few pictures of recovered Egyptian sticks.  They are all curved, and thus I think this must be the most effective type otherwise they would not have been used.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 6:06am

I have now made a curved throwing stick with nice looking native American pictorials, obtained from a book on the subject, carved into the wood.  I also carved a wolf's head onto the end of the stick, and the Mohawk word for wolf, Okwaho, on the alternate side to the pictorials.  Everything was done with a Swiss Army knife, but it doesn't look too bad.  It is also protected by beeswax coating.  I will try and post images soon.  I just need a camera.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 5:34pm

are there any other rabbit stick / boomarang sites that show pictures other than pedigree.com?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 2:47pm

Just thought i would bring this up.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris)