Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How I hurt myself slinging... (Read 3654 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
How I hurt myself slinging...
Oct 30th, 2003 at 9:37pm

Well, I have done some real painful damage to myself.  Here is how it went.

Six days ago I slung severa dozen stones.  This made my forearm a bit sore from the elbow to fingers.  No problem, right?

Yesterday I was at my dad's gym and picked up some 50 lb dumbells (my wife says they are called that for a reason) and did some curls.  I was pumped and headed out to the country to throw some rocks.

Arrived in the country and found some great river rocks, smooth and mostly round and of good throwing weight.  Apparently, my forearms were still nice and tight from the curls at this point.  On my first throw, I got a terrible pain on the inside of my elbow at the ulna.  I continued to throw and the pain stayed with me, but lessened quite a bit as I threw... for a while that is.

After a dozen or so, the pain began to grow.  I continued to practice, with a slightly modified style.  Nontheless, I have pulled the orbital ligament of my throwing arm.  If I make a fist with my thumb up, I cannot extend my arm more than 90%.  The last 10% brings tears to my eyes.

I will baby this injury and hope that it heals by the time I get my concrete balls and shepherd's bag made.

Be careful guys, Yurek is right.  Don't put more force on yourself than necessary.

jeff ><>

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: How I hurt myself slinging...
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2003 at 11:48pm

Oooch Shocked sounds painful. I'd suggest something but then I'd sound like a salesman.
I used to live is Durango Colorado, in a log cabin, by a river, at the foot of a mountain. Man I wish I was still there. Those smooth river stones you mentioned brought back memories. If I only had a sling back then!
Get that arm back in shape. We need to get ready for the Olympics Grin

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2003 at 11:53pm

I wish you a speedy recovery.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 7:15am

Jeff,

This kind of  injury is protracted, even if your pain seemingly stops you should be careful. It can come back much easier. It is good to obey our body signals (pain), it prevents pernament harm. Don't surpass a pain limit. I wish you speedy recovery too.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 11:27pm

Well, I am feeling a bit better today.  I can almost straighten my arm with my thumb twisted out.  A lot of pain still, but not so much as yesterday.

Definitely a ligament injury.  I can flex, squeeze, and do other muscular actions.  It just hurts when the joint is extended against the ligament.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2003 at 7:43pm

well even in your pain jeff if u should decide to throw stones i would suggest that u get a trebuchet. and then u can throw even larger stones!!!!!! and u will still get that satisfaction which comes with using a sling  Smiley
get well soon
jack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick)