Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peruvian slings site (Read 4476 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Peruvian slings site
Oct 10th, 2003 at 11:32am

The site is one of the results of an agreement for cooperation between Fundación Telefónica (Spain) and Instituto de Cultura (Perú) in order to register and catalogue the 20,000 textiles of the Museo Nacional de Arqueologia e Historia de Perú (MNAAHP).
Each register include a data card and a quality digital image. The digital file is fully open to public in order to facilitate the investigation and spread the cultural value of the pre-hispanic peruvian textiles.

On the right of the main page there is a selector (in white) with the differents archaelogical places and cultures. When selected one, appears the searching page, where you can browse by textil technique, number of register or even the whole file. The slings are made mainly in "tapiz excentrico" technique, together with ribbons, strips, cordons, etc., therefore you will economize a lot of searching time going directly to that category.

The URL of the site is:
http://textiles.perucultural.org.pe/index.htm

Been the textiles archaelogical objets, many of them are deteriorate and incomplete, but others are very good, such as this beauty:

Enjoy the site,
J.Vega

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Peruvian slings site
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 3:26pm

Now that is a fine looking sling. 

I tried following your directions, but got lost quickly.  Perhaps you could provide links to the pages with slings?

By the way, your english is excellent.
Chris

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 4:08pm

J. Vega,

Thank-you!!!!  I am going to really enjoy this website.  That sling is a beauty!

Ben

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 6:51pm

Chris,

I figured out how to do it.  First you choose the region and then you choose the technique of construction.  Both the techniques and the regions are unfamiliar to us Americans but there is a apparently a lot on this site.  I just saw some nice pictures of some old slings. 

What you probably encountered was this:  When you choose a particular region and then technique, but there have been no slings found in that region contructed in that technique, then nothing comes up.  The website apparently hasn't been made for us sling fans, more for archeologists and stuff.  I'm going to spend some time "researching" Smiley      

Quote:
On the right of the main page there is a selector (in white) with the differents archaelogical places and cultures. When selected one, appears the searching page, where you can browse by textil technique, number of register or even the whole file. The slings are made mainly in "tapiz excentrico" technique, together with ribbons, strips, cordons, etc., therefore you will economize a lot of searching time going directly to that category.

Thank-you J. Vega! 

Ben

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 3:25pm

Sorry to dredge up such an old site, but i need to make a sling for a peruvian cousin of mine. is there any good websites with tutorails out there? i need something simple i can teach someone how to do who has no braiding skills whatsoever. and it has to look like a ancient peruvian sling and function. Thanks
Alex

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 5:32pm

Here is a tutorial but I don't consider this a simple sling to make... Maybe it helps you.

http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Methods_of_making_Slings_%28Modern_...

By the way: The link in the first post does not work anymore...  Cry The homepage seems to be offline.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 10:14pm

yes... it is not easy... but is there an effective method for an easy way to learn the twelve strand braid?
i can do a very tight three strand. but nothing else.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 10:34pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Oct 16th, 2012 at 10:14pm:
yes... it is not easy... but is there an effective method for an easy way to learn the twelve strand braid?
i can do a very tight three strand. but nothing else.

If you're going by the tutorial on the wiki, start with a 4 strand round braid. After you figure that out, go to 8 strands, and finally 12. For the 4 and 8 strand, don't practice with a core. Only start using the core when you get to 12 strands (you can do it perfectly fine with 4 and 8, but for the purpose of just learning the braid, the core will only get in the way).

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 3:09pm

ok thanks. i wish i could already do the braid. also, any good easy netting rescources
:slinger:

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 3:13pm

look here : http://le-projet-olduvai.wikiforum.net/t737-tuto-faire-un-filet
It's written in french, but the pictures are enough.

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 3:14pm

theres this thing called google translator. it may not be perfect, but it works.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:38pm

Here's a good netted sling tutorial:
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1244047803/0
I'll have to check to make sure this is in the FAQ.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:53pm

Thanks Rat Man! I like netted slings and i also make nets for friends. all from jute cordage. itz my fav ever!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)