Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Federacio Balear de Tir de Fona (Read 11813 times)
David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Federacio Balear de Tir de Fona
Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2003 at 9:07am

Gracias Grin Hondero,

I am glad you read my guestions and were able to answer. My son and I mostly use the Greek style you wrote of in the post that Ben made here. Does the way I explain it in the post "More Pics" sound like the Greek style? For an overhand release I move my hand holding the stone to the right as I bring my leg back and twist at the wast. I then move my handwith the stone to the left and swing the sling around, behind my head and into an overhand throw as a baseball.
I do understand that the power is in the whipping stroke--not rotating around and around. With my 46 inch sling, using very big stones, I do 2-3 rotations just to get some momentum and speed since it is too heavy to move in just one rotation. Does that make sense?

For accuracy with a 22" sling should I always use the same arm force or in other words, throw as hard every time?
Did you mean too practice throwing a baseball would also help with accuracy with a sling?

De donde es usted?--Spain? Did I spell those words correctly Undecided

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2003 at 12:03pm

Hola David, your spanish spelling is better than my english one  Angry... I often have not the patience to look at the dictionary.
Your and your soon greek style are quite god. It´s a good starting position for a quick shooting. There are others very eficients too, as the one in the picture Ben shows under his nick, corresponding to Bernini´s David. In it, the stone goes backwards and from this position comes the stroke forward. I´ve seen balearic slingers using it as a practice before competition, and I´m use it too as an exercice.
Nevertheless I preffer to make al least two turns around before shooting, for more accuracy and range.

Saludos, amigo.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2003 at 12:05pm

Sorry, I meant son, not soon... I said my english...

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2003 at 11:44pm

I think I can say that I have just started moving toward the "Psychological Stage" you mentioned in your post--trying to forget the techniques of the throw and release. I tried your suggestion of thinking about throwing a stone by hand as I am slinging and thinking about hitting the target more than my release and it seems to be working well for me Grin

I even used two extremely different slings today ( a 22" and a 46") and after a few warm up throws, I was having accuracy with both of them.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #19 - Nov 21st, 2003 at 6:13am

OK, you are in the good way, don´t forget to fire with the arm completely elongated towards the target, as if you throw your own hand. The goal on accuracy for an excellent slinger may be to hit a man at 100 yards... well, at least at 80.
Heart and a lot training.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #20 - Nov 21st, 2003 at 4:37pm

Our target "George the Roman" is about 70 yards from us when we sling. Three months ago when I first started to sling, I would hit the target 2-3 times out of 100 slings. Now we are hitting the target about 10 times. Gracias to all of you slingers. Keep on Sling'n Grin

David

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #21 - Nov 21st, 2003 at 7:46pm

Quote:
an excellent slinger may be to hit a man at 100 yards... well, at least at 80

Jesus,

Do they hit evry time that aim evry time? Wow, for me they are true wizards! Sometimes I hit something small from long distance, but it is rather like a hit in a lottery. I must practice a lot yet.

I practice rather more for a range now, I'm getting even the good results with my log sling and stones (the best my measured range is 320 m). I wonder where is my limit. I feel I'm able to get better and I hope it's not only my delusion.

Can you tell us about the best ranges which you know and what technique, slings and projectiles were used for getting them?

David,

Congratulations, 10/100 hits from 70 yards is excellent result!

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #22 - Nov 22nd, 2003 at 1:18pm

Yurek, in the first place congratulations for your 350 meters of range. I never will reach that distance, mainly now with my shoulder injury that forces to me to be prudent. Your record is excellent, and according to my calculations it involve a launching speed of approximately 255 Km/h, which put you between the speed record of tennis and golf. This is quite coherent, because the length of a long sling can be comparable to a golf club.
In regard to accuracy, the truth is that there are few trustworthy data, I only know those of the Balearic Federation, which already I mentioned in my messages published by Ben and which are not spectacular. It is evident that the present Balearic slingers are not the mythical ones of the antiquity, although they do not do anything badly. I personally, when I was well trained, could hit regularly (80 %)  a man silhouette  from the distance of 70 meters. I know  by narrations from persons still alive, that the "vaqueros" (cow boys) of my country (Spain) were very skilful hitting from 30 or 40 meters the horn of a bull, so that he returned to the herd or to separate it when he fought with another bull. The Latin clasics tell that between the Greeks, the Achaeans were reputed to be the best slingers, and that were able not only to hit in the head of the enemies but in the part of the head they wanted.  I am sure that the precision with the sling does not have almost limit and that is a matter of training and spirit. In fact, many of you will have observed that sometimes you hit very small targets several successives times, with extraordinary precision, which contradicts the statistic laws, and that is only explained by a favorable performance of the inner mechanisms of accuracy, that normally we are not able to put into play.

Jesús

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #23 - Nov 22nd, 2003 at 9:34pm

Jesús, thanks. I'm sorry about your shoulder injury. About two or maybe three months ago I didn't also dream about such range. I felt my arm limitation and started seek the more effective way for final whiping my 46" sling. I found that for good acceleration I need more space and more power (than my arm is able to deliver). So I tried to initiate the final whip with my arm very standing back as possible and torso turned very to the right. I tried to start the final whip not by my right arm but by the dynamic hips rotation. As a result the first burden of the accerelation of pulled sling was carried by the torso and the right shoulder tensed like a spring (of course the left hand should help by move back itself). Just then I started the throw by the arm, next the forearm and finally by the wrist (as you mentioned, similar to a common throw by a hand). I found that this way is also very good for more heavy stones (the legs and the torso are much stronger than only arm). So using heavier stones allows understand this way better. The greatest difficulty for me was the coordination of the initial sling rotations with the hips movement and restraint the premature arm throw (it causes the hips movement is idle and doesn't give the good aid).

I practice a lot for range, I believe it will give me the ease and the power for the accuracy shots too. I found when I'm relaxed and spontaneous I get a much better accuracy. Jesús I think you absolutly right about the practice and the spirit. A lot of practice gives the spontaneity which allows the spirit to act. Just the spirit is the inner mechanism of accuracy. I like your words about no accuracy limit, they give me the hope. Maybe there is no limit for the range too Smiley I hope too Smiley

Saludos, amigo

Jurek, who apprecate the hard job with dictionary
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2003 at 7:28am by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #24 - Nov 23rd, 2003 at 3:57pm

Great posts!  Fun reading.  Jesus, that's some kind of accuracy you were able to achieve!  Wow!!!

Hey maybe we have a new Guiness book holder somewhere in our group (Jurek maybe?)  The record is out there at about 520 yards I think.  But with the ranges you're getting I think you may be able to beat it in time.  When you think you've peaked, give a little thought to making some good lead glandes, and a sling with a very small aerodynamic pouch.  That combination may just increase your range past the world record.  Lead glandes fly much longer distances than rocks.  That is some amazing range you got there man!!!! 

Ben

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #25 - Nov 24th, 2003 at 9:09am

Ben,

It would be beautiful to beat the Guinness record. Thanks that you believe in my chance. Maybe you are right, the special sling and the lead glandes should improve my range enough, I'm going to try. But I don't know the principles, for example if using the special projectiles is admissible. I would like to know what kind of ones was used by last champion. The winner in 1981 probably used the stones and he reched 1,434 ft 2 inches (~437 m) distance. So it's a hard nut to crack, although I dont say it is impossible, more practice, new sling design and perfect selected stones, then who knows...

Generally I need more information to evaluate my chances. When winter will come I'm going to try the measures of the lead glandes distances on the snow or on the frozen lake.

I will be grateful for each info.

Greeting,

Jurek

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #26 - Nov 27th, 2003 at 2:13am

Jurek,

Here is the latest World Record I know of.  He used a "dart"  I wonder if it was made of silver or depleted uranium, or just plane lead or steel.  We all know what would be cheapest huh.

1,565ft, 4in.   
He used a 50in long sling with a 2.5oz dart.   
His name is David P. Engvall.   
He made the record at Baldwin Lake, CA 
On September 13, 1992.   

That's is 521 yards 2 foot, 4 inches

Yeah I think you have a chance!!  With the range you're getting.  I hope this helps.  Maybe the website has more info.  I'll go check and if so, I'll post it. 

Ben

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #27 - Nov 27th, 2003 at 3:00pm

Ben great thanks!

I looked for more information on the Guinness World Records website, but no result. So I just asked by the e-mail the GWR publisher in my country and I'm waiting for the response to my question. If I know something new, I will let you know.

Jurek

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man)