Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trebuchet's (Read 9060 times)
Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Trebuchet's
Sep 30th, 2003 at 2:48am

What kind of experience do you all have with trebuchets? I have a miniuture one I made that stands about 18" high and is suprisingly effecient. I made it as true to old style as possible (wood pegs, no metal nails, screws etc.). When it's in working order it fires marbles about 60'...

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Trebuchet's
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 7:29am

Welcome to the board, Luke!

Check the members list at the top of the page.  Find Ripcord and click on his website.  Interesting stuff.

jeff <>< - who can't figure out the trebuchet

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 12:36pm

Welcome,

I built a trebuchet two summers ago.  The frame was 5 foot tall with an 8 foot arm.  It could launch fist sized rocks about 400 feet with 120 lbs. of counter wieght.  It could have handled much more, but the CW box I made was too small and too weak.  I'll post pictures of it when I get home.

A good place to start is trebuchet.com.  It has links to many resources.

A good sling design is crutial to a proper trebuchet.  Most people don't put enough consideration into it's desgn. 

Chris

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 1:34pm

Here's the trebuchet that I designed mine off of - ...

Mine is almost the exact same thing, just a few minor changes here and there... (They have solid lead weight, I made a box filled with steel shot, etc.)

(picture taken from - http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/cheese.html)

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 3:04pm

Here is one of my trebuchets.

The thing that bothers me with the design of the trebuchet in your picture is that the counter weight can't swing freely, and thus looses power.  I built mine on a hanger arm so it could fall perfectly vertical and be more efficient.

Chris

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 3:36pm

Like I said, I did modify the boxed weight so it's of a triangular design of construction similar to this one - ...
My box isn't perfect and could use a little modification but works well as is Smiley Even if I did perfect it, I doubt I could get much more than an extra 5ft or so out of it...

In my search for trebuchet pictures I came across this tiny one used for wargaming, pretty cool  8) its owner claims a range of about 6 inches with it  8)

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 3:41pm

Grin thats pretty cute. 

Your triangular modification would have a similar effect to my hanger arms.  This helps the CW box fall straight down which is the fastest way to drop, which makes your arm arc faster.  If you force it to swing in a circle, it has to travel a longer distance in a direction it doesn't naturally "want" to follow, and less energy is converted to motion.

Chris

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 6:16pm

hey luke
im jack, ive maid bout 13 of em of verying sizes and power mechinisms. so what in specific did u want to know when u said what u did Cheesy thts very interesting bout the all wood design but how tall is the throwing arm ???
jack

IP Logged

Luke

Long range projectile
enthusiast

Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2003 at 12:03pm

The throwing arm is ~ 18.5 inches, and the supports stand ~ 13 inches or so...  I'd like to sometime make one more like the one in the picture, as my current one is made with thinner wood and looks more delicate and fragile. The one pictured looks very robust and sturdy...

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2003 at 3:26pm

Hey Luke!  I just helped build one a couple of weeks ago.  The Axle of ours was 6' off the ground and the arm was about 14.5'.  We're still tweeking it to see how far we can get it to fling things.  We've got 300 pounds counterweight on it there.  So far, it's coming along quite nicely!!

Rob

by the by, that's a really cute wargaming treb!! Beware army men!!! Grin

note:  I was going to post a photo, but it's pretty big (size-wise, not memory-wise)  So, here's a link:

www.fullmers.org/adam/trebuchet.jpg

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2003 at 7:37pm

Nice treb.

Does it disassemble?

I remember that being the biggest issue when designing my second (big) trebuchet.  I came up with an ingenious (yes... I'm very proud of it) design that allowed it to be completely disassembled and put on the roof of my car. 

Chris

IP Logged

Gavin
Novicius

The joy of range weapons

Australia
Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 9:53pm

I built a Trebuchet off "grey companys" website but later hooked it up to rubberband. It was 20 cm high and when hooked to the rubberband it shot a marble over 5m

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 9:41am

Chris,
at which points of the treb did you disassemble it and what did you use to hold the things together? Do you have a plan or a drawing? How long does it take you to disassemble it? what size is it about (throwing arm, counterweight,...)?
I am constructing one myself for some time now, and one of the limits I set to myself is the possibility to easily and quickly disassemble it. In my flat there is not so much space, and I have a usual car to transport it, no van or pickup. Would be grateful for any answer of the above. Cheers

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 6:28pm

Funditor,

Chris will be back home on August 1st. and I'm sure he will have a lot of posts to catch up on. Sounds like an interesting project you have!

David

IP Logged

steve heron

Reply #14 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 3:52pm

hi my name is steve

I think your trebuchets are so cool But I dont under stand how the sling works ???

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)